SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stellantis lays off 400 in mass firing last week
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stellantis lays off 400 in mass firing last week Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
Stellantis apparently sent an email to 400 employees telling them to take a mandatory work from home day and attend an online meeting. In that meeting, they all learned they were terminated.

Not a good sign when automotive starts mass layoffs.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38019 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Never heard of 'em.

Posts: 107773 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won’t pretend to be an economist but when the WH/EPA mandate 2/3rds of your product must be electric and people aren’t really buying electric, it is a bad combo.

Not saying we have a walk through the park ahead of us but Trump in office will fix stuff like this.

Mandates from Biden and the market pushing back would make me hunker down if I was an auto maker.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Never heard of 'em.

They bought out FCA (Chrysler) a few years back.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Month after month, Stellantis (Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram) has had 5 to 7 models on the AutoEdge's 10 slowest selling cars (e.g. 443 days of inventory on Dodge Hornet). Even when rejecting manufacturer allocation, dealers are having to store their overflow inventory on dirt parking lots as their paved ones are full.

BTW, the Top 10 slowest car list on CarEdge:
  • 0 out 5 Stellantis Vehicles are EVs
  • The only EV on list is Mustang Mach-E

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23347 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not really from Vienna
    Picture of arfmel
    posted Hide Post
    What a load of crap:

Posts: 26966 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Car manufacturers might be the dumbest corporations in America. They are making cars that don't sell well. They are wildly over priced. And the cherry on top is that on the BEST selling list, one of the cars is discontinued. How do you have a car that you can't make enough and you decide to stop making it. It is comical.

As for Stellantis, I think they have been riding an idiotic Jeep craving that was non sustainable. I like Jeeps. I think they are mediocre as actual cars. The pricing is stupid crazy for a car that is almost guaranteed to give you issues over the years.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Partial dichotomy
    posted Hide Post
    ^^^ And then they bow to the huge union demands.

Bad business!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
    Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38734 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by BurtonRW:
    quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum:
    Never heard of 'em.
    They bought out FCA (Chrysler) a few years back.
    They must be doing a bang-up job, then, because I am not kidding when I say that I have never heard of them.

posted Hide Post
    I have to wonder how that Spokesman will feel about his rosy future spin when he gets his termination notice.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5674 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    He's laser-focused on maximizing the minimizations in the implementation and aligning of corporate alignments.

Meaningless corporate speak like that ought to get you tossed into an active volcano.

His diet consists of black
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post
    While looking for new jobs, maybe they could spend some time actually repairing the shit they designed. I - and plenty of other mechanics - have said for many years that they need to work in a repair shop for at least two years before being turned loose to engineer and design stuff.

Posts: 28023 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    You forgot that cars are rolling platforms designed to continually spy on you

Posts: 1409 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
    Picture of 92fstech
    posted Hide Post
    Hopefully one of them was the asshole who designed the motor mounts on the Durango. And the whole team responsible for the 2.7L V6, if any of them were still there.

Posts: 8689 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by pedropcola:
    I won’t pretend to be an economist but when the WH/EPA mandate 2/3rds of your product must be electric and people aren’t really buying electric, it is a bad combo.

Not saying we have a walk through the park ahead of us but Trump in office will fix stuff like this.

Mandates from Biden and the market pushing back would make me hunker down if I was an auto maker.

You don't think flooding your dealers with $75K pickup trucks has anything to do with it?

Go drive by any CDJR dealership and you'll see their lots overflowing with vehicles costing over $50K. Very few, if any, are EV's. In the past five years Stellantis has raised their MSRP an average of 66%, more than any over O.E.M.

It amazes me how people on this forum want to flock to the defense of big corporations making stupid decisions.

A company builds overpriced crap and everyone is shocked that no one wants to buy it. Shocked, I tell you! Shocked! Roll Eyes

And when does 400 people qualify as a "mass layoff". Google laid off 12,000 employees in 2023. Meta laid off 10,000.

Posts: 6631 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Jack of All Trades,
    Master of Nothing
    Picture of 2000Z-71
    posted Hide Post
    It's one big, huge, ginormous marketing and product planning fail. Look at Chrysler right now, there's only one vehicle in the showroom that bears their nameplate, the Pacifica minivan. The market has moved away from minivans towards crossovers and Chrysler is trying to keep the brand afloat with just one vehicle.

Jeep has moved away from its roots and tried to be everything to everyone and trying to move upmarket. Instead of CJ's there's now all kinds of crossovers that amount to nothing more than the old Fiat based Dodge Dart with a crossover body and a lift kit on them.

I have a Gladiator which I love, but they're stupidly overpriced for what they are. The only way mine made sense was with rebates and dealer incentives that dropped over $10k off sticker price. So do you think Jeep learned a lesson from having to do deep discounts to clear 2023 inventory? Nope, they just made the 2024's more expensive with their option packaging. In order get the auto 4wd transfer case in a 2024, I now have to get an X model with leather seating, luxury options, paint to match top and flares for $7k are the the sticker on my 2023.

Then there's the Grand Wagoneer. Growing up people had Wagoneers to tow their boat, haul their dogs, go camping on the weekend. Now it's a luxury SUV that can easily sticker for over $100k. So you went from the affordable, able to beat the shit out of vehicle for people who actually had a need for it to the luxury leather lined SUV that the only off road action it will see is if the trophy wife driving it skips the curb at the Starbuck's drive thru.

So you want to save the company? Do some product planning and have it in place before you kill off existing models. Worried about declining market share at Jeep? Go back to doing what you did that built your base.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11788 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Lt CHEG
    posted Hide Post
    Stellantis’s problems are a simple example of the adage, “pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.” Stellantis raised their prices more than any other auto manufacturer, to the tune of over 50% in the last 4 or 5 years. Honda raised their prices like 28%, which is one of the lowest, and not surprisingly they have some of the lowest inventory in the market. Toyota, and GM are actually situated much better comparatively as well and we’re also amongst the lowest price raisers in the industry. Stellantis is trying to charge $15k more on average for a Jeep Wagoneer than a Chevy Tahoe, and the vehicle isn’t as good. Stellantis made some horrible decisions when the automakers could sell anything due to the shortage and now they are reaping the results of incredibly bad management decisions. The EV mandate certainly isn’t helping their situation but their problems are about other things than EVs.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of vthoky
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Broadside:
    You don't think flooding your dealers with $75K pickup trucks has anything to do with it?

Go drive by any CDJR dealership and you'll see their lots overflowing with vehicles costing over $50K. Very few, if any, are EV's. In the past five years Stellantis has raised their MSRP an average of 66%, more than any over O.E.M.

I spent a minute looking at the local CDJR lot this morning.
    There were three Widebody Scat-Pack Chargers ($60k to $66k on the tags) and a Daytona ($71k), plus two Hemi Durangos ($60k) on the lot. No telling how many small-body Jeep products and Hornets were there -- there were a bunch, but I didn't have the interest to count them.

Only one of the Grand Cherokee models I saw was below $50k, and the one 4xe I saw was also over $60k.

It's nuts. I didn't even bother to look at Ram truck prices.

- - - - - -

ETA: The Toyota Sequoia I got a look at was $82k. Eek!

God bless America.

Posts: 13530 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I recently went shopping for a new truck. Toyota, Ford and Ram were the highest priced. I got a better deal on a Chevy. The mid priced SLT Rams had a msrp of around $60k and had absolutely no active safety features. Last year it was easy to find an SLT with parking sensors. Now, practically none of them have it and they're more expensive. Among 1/2 ton trucks, at least 70% of the ones on the lot were priced over $65k.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3548 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
    Stellantis’s problems are a simple example of the adage, “pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.” Stellantis raised their prices more than any other auto manufacturer, to the tune of over 50% in the last 4 or 5 years. Honda raised their prices like 28%, which is one of the lowest, and not surprisingly they have some of the lowest inventory in the market. Toyota, and GM are actually situated much better comparatively as well and we’re also amongst the lowest price raisers in the industry. Stellantis is trying to charge $15k more on average for a Jeep Wagoneer than a Chevy Tahoe, and the vehicle isn’t as good. Stellantis made some horrible decisions when the automakers could sell anything due to the shortage and now they are reaping the results of incredibly bad management decisions. The EV mandate certainly isn’t helping their situation but their problems are about other things than EVs.
    ^^ THIS ^^

The top 10 slowest list I linked earlier showed this in spades (e.g. $42k entry level cars, $43k cars that haven't been redesigned in 15 years, $65k trucks, and $100k SUVs). I didn't mention it, but the link also had the top 10 fastest selling list which has 4 midlevel vehicles under $40k and 7 midlevel vehicles under $51k.

A year or two ago, the several automakers (e.g. Stellantis) and dealerships were saying this is the new normal - we're going to raise prices faster than inflation AND we're only going to sell vehicles with options we want (i.e. the unecessary options are a big part of the large price increases). For example, they've added computer chips to windshields and a damned windshield is $3k, but my 2016 with a dumb windshield is only $400 (I replaced it in 2023). Another example, is they've all gone to water based paint systems that are thin and soft (i.e. scratch easily), but the customer want paint harder than a whore's heart (i.e. hard to scratch) and enough of it to polish out a scratch. It's a fuck the customer business model but they failed to realize that buying a new car is optional.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23347 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post