SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anyone tried AXIL earbuds?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone tried AXIL earbuds? Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted
Was talking to a buddy about new ears and this popped up in my Instagram feed. Looks interesting. Anyone with experience with them?

https://goaxil.com

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6005 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
I tried the Axil ear plugs and wasn’t happy with them at all. I couldn’t get a good seal with any of the sizes they included. Their customer service was good, and they tried to be helpful, but no success.

I can’t speak to the electronic version, never tried any of their models.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
We tried them. Pretty much all had the same conclusion: with the units turned on, the sound of the shots was annoyingly loud (regardless of volume setting). With the units turned off, they were nice and quiet. Of course at that point it’s the same as an EAR foamy, it makes everything quiet. The kids and I tried the GX units, Mrs slosig tried a GS Extreme. Same complaint on all of them. The CS lady was nice. Said they’d never heard that complaint, but processed the returns timely.

Posts: 6864 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
David,
Not earbuds but damn close. I and many friends swear by these (specifically the NNR31 model):
https://www.sensgard.com/
They fold up to fit in a pocket. Work well with a hat too!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
They have a bunch of different options. I started with a pair of Ghost Strikes (now maybe the GS Digital or Digital 2) and I also have a pair of Custom Edge 90s. I have been pleased with both purchases. What I have are not what you are seeing advertised on IG and FB.

The GS model went back for warranty service as there was some sort of issue and the issue was solved quickly. Good service. The CE 90s went back once under warranty and I had them upgraded to a model with the ear wax guard. Out of warranty they went back for service as well. Again, great customer service.

I don't have experience with the stuff they are heavily advertising on social media. These would be the GS Extreme and GS Electronic I think. With any of these, comfort and fit will be key. My wife has been unable to find any ear pro designed for in-the-ear to stay in place for reasonable periods of time. She's using the Ghost Strikes, but has to reset them every 10 minutes or so. This happens to her for all sorts of brands, including iPod Pros with extra small aftermarket inserts.

As to the electronic "cut off the shot sound" design, some folks like it, some do not. The NNR rating for the GS Extreme and GS Electronic are 29 db, which is pretty good and listed better than the CS 90s that I currently have (27 db). The electronics on my set up a cut off the gunshots pretty well, but you certainly still hear them. I recently wore my CE 90s for a two days straight - probably 12 hours of shooting - at a class with 18 students. All was good for me, and I was standing right next to individual students firing all day.

The are great when you're listening to someone else speak outside. Enhances the sound, BUT if there is gun fire in the next bay, the voice you're listening to may be cut off which is a bit annoying.

I would not hesitate at giving the GS Extreme, GS Electronic or GS Custom a test drive if given the opportunity. Maybe check their return policy.

For me, ear pro kind of was like holsters. I bought a few options to get to a few "go to" sets.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this info. They are plastered all over instagram and I was considering picking up a set.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Timely thread. I also WAS getting close to pulling the trigger on a pair of AXIL earbuds. Bald1, I'm looking at the Sensgard's as i type this. Thanks. Smile

s

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7651 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Check this parallel thread: https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/2820030584

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased an Axil product ( don't remember name) for about $600 about 5 years ago..... I wasn't happy with the product or the customer service....ymmv ( I hope).

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your reply!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6005 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sound was "Scratchy". I returned them after one use.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'm resurrecting this thread because I just received a pair of Axil XCOR buds due to very positive review in The Truth About Guns and elsewhere. The TTAG review, for one thing, said the sound of music in the Axils was better than AirPods Pros. To my ears that is absolutely not true.
I'm not sure yet whether I'm going to keep them or not. I'm very tempted to order a pair of Otto Noizebarrier plugs, to compare with the Axils. I've read very positive comments on Snipershide.com about the Ottos. They are more expensive, but worth it to me for better ear protection, and the Bluetooth feature of the Axils is not important as I already have--and love--Apple Airpod Pros.

Posts: 18004 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used them for about 5 months now. I like them. No problems. When you have the noise enhancement all the way up they offer protection but, the gunshots sound like you are in an old western movie. You can pick up the echo off of surrounding buildings.

Posts: 4019 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never tried their products.

I recall one Youtube channel or another talking about collaborations with other channels and they said that they would never work with anybody pushing AXIL stuff because it was junk. I thought that was a relatively significant statement.

In amplified in-ear protection, I have used 3M Peltor TEP-100s with good luck and I have heard good things about Otto Noize Barrier Micros. There are also some much more expensive "custom" solutions out there.

Posts: 5141 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a set of Sensgards. I will test them out and see how they do. I liked the design.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have Senzgards and like them but I’m leery of them for the range, especially an indoor range.

Posts: 18004 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I have Senzgards and like them but I’m leery of them for the range, especially an indoor range.

Most sound cancelling buds say they are not for indoor range use.

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read that whole website, I think, and I don't think Sensgard are noise cancelling. I think they use sound "diversion" without any electronics, whatever that really means.

I would love a real world review. I double up ear pro at indoor and outdoor ranges, if this really worked I would buy some.

Posts: 7326 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The Sensgards are not noise cancelling. Just great for sound isolation without the cumbersome bulk of ear muffs.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I have a set of the Axil earbuds and really like them. They worked ok with the original earbuds, but upgrading the tips with Comply Foam tips really helped with the noise canceling. I also use the comply foam tips on my AirPods. Highly recommended!

https://www.complyfoam.com/

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post