SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year III
Page 1 ... 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 ... 348

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year III Login/Join 
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Joey D 10/7/19

Description

INTERVIEW - JOE DIGENOVA - legal analyst and former U.S. Attorney to the District of Columbia – discussed the second whistleblower and the Supreme Court coming back this week.

SECOND WHISTLEBLOWER: A second whistleblower “in connection to” the allegations surrounding the call between President Trump and the president of Ukraine will be coming forward, according to that person’s attorney. Attorney Mark Zaid, who represents both whistleblowers said the second person can corroborate information in the original whistleblower complaint. Meanwhile, Democrats subpoenaed the White House as part of the impeachment investigation into the President. The White House said the “subpoena changes nothing.”
SCOTUS BACK THIS WEEK: The Supreme Court returns from its summer recess on Monday starting a term that will include major cases on gay and transgender rights, immigration, abortion, guns and religion. The Justices are due to tackle a larger number of consequential cases than they did in their previous term. Tomorrow, the high court will consider how far states can go toward eliminating the insanity defense in criminal trials as they review the case of a Kansas man sentenced to die for killing four relatives.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Alan, that is all fine and good, but the Kurds are watching over 10,000 ISIS prisoners and they say if the Turks invade they will leave them unguarded. That and it seems that Trump is trusting Erdogan to fold over a threat from him regarding their economy, a man who has sold out his own people and his responsibility to NATO. It's not enough to convince me that this is a good idea.

Jim

I get your concerns. And I won't pretend to know better either way.

The truth is I just loved that tweet. "My great and unmatched wisdom." When he says stuff like that you just know President Trump is poking a finger in the ribs of leftists on purpose.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I am reminded of a lesson that I learned early in my career. The VP of Engineering had publicly announced what seemed like a really stupid decision via an email to “engineering”. Being younger and stupider, I just replied without considering that rmail as it was setup at the time defaulted to “Reply-all” explaining what a dumb idea I thought it was and all the reasons why. Being a great guy, instead of firing my dumb ass, or ripping me a new one, he invited me to his office, closed the door, shared a list of reasons behind the decision I wasn’t aware of (which were enough to make me think that the call could have gone either way) and then said, ”Those are the reasons I *can* share. There are others I can’t. My door is always open, if it looks like I am in the weeds on something, don’t hesitate to come see me.”

I (as young and stupid as I was then) learned two lessons that day:

1) Sometimes you have to trust the decision maker even if you don’t agree with the decision. It is entirely possible that he or she has information I don’t which would change my view of the decision.

2) It is okay to agree in public (though often not necessary), but it is *usually* best to disagree in private.

As far as President Trump, it is axiomatic that he will have ten times as much information on any situation that he is making a decision on as I will likely ever learn about that situation. Beyond that, his instincts seem to be fricking uncanny. I’ve gotten to the point where when he does something I *know* is totally wrong I laugh and wonder how this is going to play out and show that he really was right and I just couldn’t see five moves ahead in the four dimensional chess game like he seems to.

As much as I disagreed with the bump stock ban (though I could not care less about them), I can’t help wondering if it was a masterstroke, giving him political cover, taking the wind out of the Dims gun control push, and now that the furor has died down, been found illegal. If nothing further happens and bump stocks become available again, it will further point in that direction. If he works tirelessly to get rid of them and find another way to do it legally, then this is one decision I disagree with. Oh well, one out of 10,000,000 isn’t too bad.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Alan, that is all fine and good, but the Kurds are watching over 10,000 ISIS prisoners and they say if the Turks invade they will leave them unguarded. That and it seems that Trump is trusting Erdogan to fold over a threat from him regarding their economy, a man who has sold out his own people and his responsibility to NATO. It's not enough to convince me that this is a good idea.

Jim

I get your concerns. And I won't pretend to know better either way.

The truth is I just loved that tweet. "My great and unmatched wisdom." When he says stuff like that you just know President Trump is poking a finger in the ribs of leftists on purpose.

Yeah, he loves pulling the chains on the press and libs in general. As far as the Kurdish question, I'm just going to sit back and let those that are far more informed than myself hash it out and I'll base my decision on their explanations. I'm already getting the impression that this a polarizing decision on the hill and his cabinet.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I couldn't care less about pulling out of Syria. How many more Americans are going to lose life or limb overseas to protect that shithole part of the world?

You don't like the President's decision? Then, call your cogressman. We've done way more than enough for these Middle East countries which are in a non-stop state of turmoil. Those countries were that way before Donald Trump became POTUS and they'll be that way long after Donald Trump leaves office. These countries are permanently fucked.

There has been a coup going on to remove a sitting POTUS since before he even took his oath of office. Get your priorities in order.

I support President Trump in all his decisions, and God bless him for fighting for us every day.

Posts: 107598 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
I am reminded of a lesson that I learned early in my career. The VP of Engineering had publicly announced what seemed like a really stupid decision via an email to “engineering”. Being younger and stupider, I just replied without considering that rmail as it was setup at the time defaulted to “Reply-all” explaining what a dumb idea I thought it was and all the reasons why. Being a great guy, instead of firing my dumb ass, or ripping me a new one, he invited me to his office, closed the door, shared a list of reasons behind the decision I wasn’t aware of (which were enough to make me think that the call could have gone either way) and then said, ”Those are the reasons I *can* share. There are others I can’t. My door is always open, if it looks like I am in the weeds on something, don’t hesitate to come see me.”

I (as young and stupid as I was then) learned two lessons that day:

1) Sometimes you have to trust the decision maker even if you don’t agree with the decision. It is entirely possible that he or she has information I don’t which would change my view of the decision.

2) It is okay to agree in public (though often not necessary), but it is *usually* best to disagree in private.

As far as President Trump, it is axiomatic that he will have ten times as much information on any situation that he is making a decision on as I will likely ever learn about that situation. Beyond that, his instincts seem to be fricking uncanny. I’ve gotten to the point where when he does something I *know* is totally wrong I laugh and wonder how this is going to play out and show that he really was right and I just couldn’t see five moves ahead in the four dimensional chess game like he seems to.

As much as I disagreed with the bump stock ban (though I could not care less about them), I can’t help wondering if it was a masterstroke, giving him political cover, taking the wind out of the Dims gun control push, and now that the furor has died down, been found illegal. If nothing further happens and bump stocks become available again, it will further point in that direction. If he works tirelessly to get rid of them and find another way to do it legally, then this is one decision I disagree with. Oh well, one out of 10,000,000 isn’t too bad.

Great response. I wish I was still young and stupid and could use that as a reason to question Trumps position here. You're right about not having all of the info that he does, obviously, I just wish he would better explain it so we can understand it better.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Original posted by Jimbo54:
Great response. I wish I was still young and stupid and could use that as a reason to question Trumps position here. You're right about not having all of the info that he does, obviously, I just wish he would better explain it so we can understand it better.

Jim

Well, I’m not young anymore but I still have my not so bright moments. As far as PDJT, it took more than one time where I was sure he was wrong and he turned out spot on right for me to realize that I shouldn’t presume to second guess him.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the soldiers coming home think (honestly). I wonder if they still want to be there or if they sit there thinking this will never end and they're just wasting time on something that will always be broken.

How much you want to bet that all the people who have those "Endless War" bumper stickers will still hate President Trump.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5400 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Report This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're right about not having all of the info that he does, obviously, I just wish he would better explain it so we can understand it better.

what often happens THEN is too many of us become enthralled with the minutia of WHY he thought this factoid vs that factoid vs our favorite factoids somehow STILL should vanquish an opinion with which we disagree.

The argument moves from 'the decision' to 'the reasons for that decision', each of which becomes yet another arguing point.

Somewhere along the line, if ever, is the day we have to move out of there. How is 'never' any better than 'today'?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
There is no "American Interest" in Syria. None. Despite the wailing of even the Conservative pundits. If they love it so much, then pick up a rifle and head over. Nothing really to stop you. Oh, you want SOMEONE ELSE to do that? Cry me a river. And there are no other interests we need to protect in the Godawful, totally, irredeemably and eternally fucked up, worthless sandpile called the Middle East either, except for our few allies, and we can do that from a very, very great distance.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Looks like this is going to the SCOTUS and soon:

Trump Wins Emergency Stay Of Tax Release Ruling As Appeal Begins

This asshole in NY state wants 8 YEARS of Trump's tax returns even though this is from BEFORE he was even President and there is no law starting that Presidential candidates have to release them.

I don't get the obsession with his taxes, as if they are going to find something to "GET" him on?
What just perplexes the ever-loving tar out of me, PASig, is the fact that President Trump, for DECADES before he was duly elected POTUS, has had an entire TEAM of attorneys and CPA's working his taxes. Is it just me or is it a FRUITLESS endeavor for anyone to think President Trump's taxes would NOT be in order?? More friggin' smoke screens. Getting a little tired of the Demotard bullshit... Mad

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:....We've done way more than enough for these Middle East countries which are in a non-stop state of turmoil. ...

What "we" have done in the Middle East has created most (all) of the problems/turmoil since the end of WW1. The "policy" of just leaving has never worked;

1. Obama thought it a good idea in Iraq to pull out, and we see how that worked out
2. We abandoned Afghanistan in the 80's and let the Taliban take over, good move;
3. We let BP Oil talk us into overthrowing the Mosaddegh government in Iran and imposed the Shah, good move
4. We supported and gave aid to Hussein against Iran (see 3 above)...
5. We supported the military coup on Egypt (a few times)
6. We (the West) randomly cut up that whole region after WW1 with no thought of tribal or religious differences and "we" have lived with that ever since

Shall I keep going?

The Kurds have historically been one of our strongest allies in that region and their region in Iraq is the most stable, not to mention the only region not to completely collapse against ISIS (see #1) The Turks do not like them in Syria nor in Northern Iraq, they will move against them in Iraq because they see the Kurds as a threat. Ask the Armenians about how the Turks treat those they feel threatened by.

The policy of fucking up a region then pulling out and letting some other country/government to fill the void has not worked since the 1920's. There is no reason to think it will work well now.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
One thing I know, SFL, is that you're a contrarian. I don't care what you think of my opinions.

Posts: 107598 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:

This asshole in NY state wants 8 YEARS of Trump's tax returns even though this is from BEFORE he was even President and there is no law starting that Presidential candidates have to release them.

I don't get the obsession with his taxes, as if they are going to find something to "GET" him on?
What just perplexes the ever-loving tar out of me, PASig, is the fact that President Trump, for DECADES before he was duly elected POTUS, has had an entire TEAM of attorneys and CPA's working his taxes. Is it just me or is it a FRUITLESS endeavor for anyone to think President Trump's taxes would NOT be in order?? More friggin' smoke screens. Getting a little tired of the Demotard bullshit... Mad

There are all kinds of ways to legally reduce one’s taxes. The more money and the more income one has, the more one can spend to take advantage of more *legal* ways to minimize one’s taxes. My guess is that army of folks taking care of PDJT’s taxes has done everything they can to insure he didn’t pay any taxes he could legally avoid. If they didn’t, they weren’t doing their jobs.

If the Dims could wave his tax returns around and point out every *legal* step his army of folks took to minimize his taxes, they’d have something to rile their free shit army up with. I’d look at those things and say, “Gee, I wish I had the income to avail myself of those. Maybe I’d better get back to work.” The free shit army would scream, “It isn’t fair!”

All this stuff, including everything else the DemoTards are doing is pure politics. There is nothing legal about it, it is all political.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:

You two are missing the reality of this effort. The Dem's don't actually think they can get Trump's returns or even find anything they can exploit in them. This effort, just like the impeachment BS is all about creating chaos and a narrative that this president is dirty. As the president and his administration push back against these attacks, the corrupt and un-American filth on the left will continue to try and brand him as someone people should not trust and vote for. This is all about laying the groundwork to try and replace Trump in November 2020. Nothing else.

And as far as worrying about the 10k ISIS prisoners the Kurds are watching over, have them put a bullet or two in each of them and the problem they pose getting loose is solved. That should have been done the minute they surrendered anyway.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
What "we" have done in the Middle East has created most (all) of the problems/turmoil since the end of WW1.

The local populations, their religions, their beliefs and their life styles have nothing to do with the current problems in the Middle East?

Why has Europe been through worse and come out better over the same time frame?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
From a land of benevolence and redemption as it’s underlying philosophy, its hard to see how we can use American forces to change an area of the world that’s made a religion out of killing.

It is with zeal that people in the Middle East seem to relish a philosophy of death as a national pass time. I ‘m not picking on Islam but the basic philosophy of death and destruction as a way of life for that region.

How have our forces fared in changing this culture? Let’s fix it after Beirut – after the Gulf wars – after so many expeditionary excursions into the region.

The fact is that the region has its own money and individual interests to throw down its own bottomless rat hole of rage and self-righteousness. Centuries have proven it.

Let’s face it. The Kurds were helping the US against ISIS out of self-interest. They were hoping their alliance would drag them into helping them with their ethnic dispute with Turkey.

So, should we play the role of using our forces to fight for the Kurds in an ethnic dispute that antedated modern ISIS?

That’s a dilemma, especially in light of Kurdish help in an overlapping area of interest, like ISIS.

Erdoğan is not worthy of trust, for sure. Turkey believes it is supposed to be the next true Caliphate. So, it will find itself in the middle of coming bloody adventures for sure.

How can the US most effectively engage that region in light of all that the past promises will come?

To see President Trump’s actions as abandoning the Kurds is one narrative. But, President Trump is emphasizing a different part of the equation. How can we best use our resources of money, influence, and blood to engage an endlessly brutal region of the world?

For some, we should stay and spend our resources to engage in someone else’s ethnic struggle for independence.

For others, the question is how much we should expend in a constantly dissatisfied region that rages on and on in self-mutilation.

A withdrawal of forces from this area may, indeed, cause a realignment but maybe that frees us to ask our so called friends to step up to police their own region as we deploy our influence in a different, more productive way.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:....We've done way more than enough for these Middle East countries which are in a non-stop state of turmoil. ...

What "we" have done in the Middle East has created most (all) of the problems/turmoil since the end of WW1.

The problem with the brutal, ever-warring nature of their cultures goes back for centuries.

Maybe it is better said that the US has tried to fix it since WWI - to no avail?

Besides, President Trump has not said that he's abandoning the Kurds. He's said he was going to help them in a different way.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
CBS to do a 4 hour miniseries on Comey's book "A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership"

airdate sometime in 2020

They have been working w Comey on this for a year

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...comeys-book-n2554286

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Let's hope AG Barr's findings make that miniseries a nonevent

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Friggen absolute trash show filed with trash people. Mad

I gave up on them a few years ago when they went 100% anti-Trump every damn show but have watched clips here and there since then.

That ended last with this. I'm done, I'm out. FUCK SNL. How do they even get away with joking around like this?

They fire a guy before he even starts because he said "chink" once in a YouTube video, but they let THIS guy get away with this garbage? Confused

From Weekend Update with Michael Che:

quote:

“Alright, maybe I just don’t understand politics well, because, when they said Trump was gettin’ impeached I immediately thought, “Great! Trump’s fired! Let’s get drunk!” Che began.

“But they’re like, “No, he’s just bein’ impeached, but he ain’t exactly ‘peached yet. It’s still gonna take another year or so.” And I’m like, “Well, damn, that sucks, let’s get drunk,” he added.

Che continued, “I mean, president is only a four year job but it feels like it’s taking ’em five years to just fire his ass. It’s frustrating!

“You know, I bet somebody explained how long impeachment takes to John Wilkes Booth and he was like, 'Okay, well, where is he at right now?'" he added.

Not a single person in the audience booed or even cared that the SNL crew had just called for the president of the United States to be assassinated.

SNL ‘Joke’ Urges Trump Assassination Because Impeachment Takes Too Long

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post