SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Veterans Interment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Veterans Interment Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
My dad died in 1997. He was a WWII vet, Navy officer in the Pacific.

More than ten years ago, at the urging of one of my sister, I started trying to find his separation document to make him eligible for interment in a national cemetery. 50 years, several moves, raising a family, running a business, a flood or two, who knows where that paperwork went.

I sent away a form to the Navy Records Center. Months later, I got a letter that they had the file, send $60 for complete copy. I did so, and months later got copies of his file from when he signed up through Midshipman School to commissioning. Nothing about actual duty or release from service. I tried various suggestions with no results, even having a pal rummage around the bowels of the Pentagon to get hoped for leads, no joy.

Last year, I decided to have another go. My mother had died and it was time to get them out of my brother’s garage. One thought was if nothing else we could sneak them in with me. I have my DD214. Instead, I went to the Veterans Service Office here. The fellow knew exactly what to do. We filled out the form, put it in the computer and off it went. Months went by, no reply. The VSO gave me an 800 to call. Ha! The number is ALWAYS busy. After a couple of months of this, I decided to unleash the “nuclear option.”

I filled out the forms, carefully attached needed exhibits, drafted a very good letter, and sent the whole pile to Sen. Cruz. This was last February or so. Within a week or so, I got a call from a polite young man from the Senator’s office. He had the documents, everything was in order, he was sending it in and would report back.

Earlier this summer, I was excited to receive a fat manila envelope, with a letter from Sen. Cruz. It was a copy of MY service record! Close but no cigar.

I got that corrected and was gratified to receive about a month ago, the NavPers553, predecessor to the DD214. I contacted the National Scheduling Office, got them the necessary documents, called Ft. Sam cemetery, got scheduled, and today my surviving siblings and spouses went over and got it done. It wasn’t easy, or quick getting the necessary documents, but once I had them, the people at the cemetery could not have been nicer or more efficient.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Persistence pays off. I have had good luck with our PAST Senators, Cochran and Lott. They were in office long enough to have competent staff. Less so with our current bunch.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Now that was a fight worth fighting and WINNING for!

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1175 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily a fight, but certainly a struggle.

Be sure to remember Sen. Cruz in the weeks ahead.

I did throw a few quid in the collection box for him, and will again.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still waiting for the punchline... Smile

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I am pleased to read this, and knowing you have a very troubling weight off your shoulders.

The fifth commandant.
"Honor your father and your mother, in order that your days be lengthened on the land that the Lord, your God, is giving you."

Is between the first commandants between man and God, and the last between mankind, is that of our parents, an anchor point, and transition and a separation of the profane(earthly things) and the holy(heavenly things).

You certainly have shown lifelong fulfillment of this.

May they rest in peace.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I am pleased to read this, and knowing you have a very troubling weight off your shoulders.

The fifth commandant.
"Honor your father and your mother, in order that your days be lengthened on the land that the Lord, your God, is giving you."

Is between the first commandants between man and God, and the last between mankind, is that of our parents, an anchor point, and transition and a separation of the profane(earthly things) and the holy(heavenly things).

You certainly have shown lifelong fulfillment of this.

May they rest in peace.

Thank you. This was made easier by the circumstance that I had uncommonly good parents, not overly social or frivolous, but intelligent, responsible, caring in spite of what many today would consider disadvantageous conditions of Great Depression and war interfering with “the good life.”

Another remarkable if not unique fact is that I never heard a hard word between them. No arguing, no fighting, temper tantrums.... what they may have disagreed about they resolved without rancor, hurt, score settling, etc. as far as the 4 kids ever knew.

Their 4 children never spent a night in jail, earned 8 degrees, each married persons of the opposite sex, owned at least one home, had children of their own, and took up professions. My parents were pretty happy about all this. So, they earned their peace.