SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My first automatic watch - some issues
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first automatic watch - some issues Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I bought an Orient from some one here a few months ago... it does about 24 hours at rest before stopping... once I figured out how to reset it... not just time but date and day (in the right language) it's no big deal to just reset. I don't wear a watch at work but usually only on the weekends... Friday - Monday. Now my favorite watch.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I can get 30ish hours (I have not done an experiment) only if it has been fully charged.

I have taken it off on Friday night and put it back on Monday morning, but typically it is either a bit slow or has stopped. However, it typically is fine if I put it on Sunday. (thus my 30 hours comment).
I walk 2-3 miles a day to get my steps in and during Fall and Spring I teach classes.
However, on days when I am just at my desk I tend to take it off while at the keyboard. After several days of computer work it will slow down by a minute or two.

This is my que to get moving again Smile

I have five automatic watches and love them all including a Seiko 5.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've worn an automatic watch daily since I was 9 years old.

The automatic winder doesn't make it more accurate as others pointed out, it just keeps it wound so it won't stop.

Watches like this have a balance wheel and it's sort of like a pendulum. It's what does the timekeeping for these watches.

The more the watch is moved, like when you're wearing it and walking around, the faster it'll run. The less it's moved, like in the winder, the slower it'll run.

It's just the way it is.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I have a very nice expensive Tag Heuer that does the same.
Since I don't wear it every day I have it on a winder.
But it still will stop and when it was on the winder it would lose time as well.
Wish I could wear it more than just going out as I wear a Polar HR watch monitor thingy everyday.
Yeah, same results here and I just have to wind and reset the day date when I use it. Frown

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the info. I've learned a lot about how automatic watches work! I still love the watch. Its extra awesome with a Chibuntu NATO band too. Just gonna live with its idiosyncrasies.

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Just gonna live with its idiosyncrasies.

And [for me], that's half the fun of having an automatic. Enjoy it, man! Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

The more the watch is moved, like when you're wearing it and walking around, the faster it'll run. The less it's moved, like in the winder, the slower it'll run.

It's just the way it is.

This is not true. Its precision may vary with how much the mainspring is wound, and the precision may vary with the position of the watch (face up, face down, etc.) but it won't vary with how much it is moved.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

It's just the way it is.

This is not true. Its precision may vary with how much the mainspring is wound, and the precision may vary with the position of the watch (face up, face down, etc.) but it won't vary with how much it is moved.

Really? Seiko disagrees with you with respect to movement.

https://www.seikowatches.com/g...rvice/faq/mechanical

A mechanical watch, which is run by a spring is easily influenced by the environment or the conditions in which it is used.
This affects the accuracy of mechanical watches.

The accuracy of the mechanical watch changes slightly day by day, depending on several factors such as the amount the spring is wound, movements of your arm, temperature, and the position of the watch.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the world of automatic watches.

I bought my first auto and it was a not inexpensive Tag Heuer. It was a learning experience for me that if I wanted accuracy, I would have been better served getting a cheap battery powered watch. Electronics are very accurate.

Yeah there are some automatics that boast accuracy certifications but they still have a +/1 error. They can't beat watches that sync every night to the official time clock or smart watches that sync to servers.

I use an app (Atomic Clock) that syncs to official time servers to set my automatic watches.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
This is why the vast majority of my watches are quartz.

If you have 1 watch you wear every day, an auto can be great. Or if you don't mind resetting watch(es) frequently, same deal.

I have a couple nice autos that get worn occasionally, and I doubt either of them really reaches 40 hrs. of power reserve. That's why 95+% of the time, as I rotate watches frequently, its usually a 'grab & go' quartz.

But its all fun & interesting stuff! Cool

YMMV.

Cheers,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Resistance is futile...........

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...1/m/6290029643/p/329

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I guess I can see how the amount of winding could slightly effect the rate of timing on the watch but that has to be a very small part of the equation. If so then it would be just as evident in both hand wound watches as well as even quartz watches... there as to be much more that would effect how accurate a watch is. Seiko's answer to that sounds like the basic disclaimer to me... "if it doesn't work right it's got something to do other than our workmanship."

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

It's just the way it is.

Really? Seiko disagrees with you with respect to movement.

https://www.seikowatches.com/g...rvice/faq/mechanical

A mechanical watch, which is run by a spring is easily influenced by the environment or the conditions in which it is used.
This affects the accuracy of mechanical watches.

The accuracy of the mechanical watch changes slightly day by day, depending on several factors such as the amount the spring is wound, movements of your arm, temperature, and the position of the watch.

Accuracy (and that really means precision and consistency) can indeed be affected by those things. Movement does not make a watch run faster. Those are not the same things.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post