SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My first automatic watch - some issues
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first automatic watch - some issues Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

I recently purchased by first automatic watch, a Seiko SNZG13, from Jomashop. You can see it here:

https://www.jomashop.com/seiko...TEAQYASABEgKVofD_BwE

I love it. It's a nice everyday/field style watch. But I've noticed a few issues and would like your thoughts.

1. The watch is advertised as having a 40-hour power reserve. But I have found that it stops completely if I haven't worn it for 24 hours. I wind it up by following the instructions (shaking it for 30 secs) and set the time when I put it on. If I don't wear it for more than 24 hours, it stops.

2. I purchased a watcher winder for it. It's a nice quiet setup that slowly rotates the watch every 5 minutes for a while. I've noticed that when I take the watch off, put it on the winder, and keep the winder on for 3-4 days, the watch is still running, but it's already slow by a few minutes. The purpose of the winder is to keep it running accurately.

I'm not sure what I may be doing wrong. I'd love to hear your suggestions. Thanks!

Chris

Posts: 2332 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seiko SNZG13

Accuracy is listed as +50 to -20 seconds per day. If you are gaining around that over several days, your watch is within specs. My Seiko 5 has the same movement and is +3 per day.

Winder is designed to only keep the watch wound. Make sure you have the winder set at the proper TPD.

Seiko 5 Sports: SNZ 7S26 or 7S36 Both directions TPD 650-950

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
The estimated power reserve appears to be slightly exaggerated. A $140 watch is not likely going to have a 40 hour reserve.

I have a Seiko automatic watch, and it’s a nice watch. But the power reserve is about what you reported, 24 hours.

Most Seiko automatics are not known for accuracy, either. Maybe the $1,000 ones, but not the cheaper ones. Even on a winder.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Have you wound the watch fully and then worn it for a day? As opposed to a quickie wind?

But, I'd be a little surprised if you got a whole 40 hours out of it.

And yes, the specs of the Seiko 5s would allow the watch to be a few minutes off after three days on the winder. Most will not be at the edge of the +50 to -20 specifications, but they could be. It is the nature of a $120 mechanical watch. It is sort of amazing that Seiko can make an automatic watch at that price at all, and one as robust as that one is.

More expensive autos will be more accurate, but even the best of them will be in the range of +/- 5 seconds a day. It is very hard to make them more accurate than that, no matter what the cost.

I am not a watch winder fan. If I let an auto run down, I just wind it a bit, set it, and go on my way. I think that wear on them less than keeping them running all the time. But I could be wrong.

You aren't doing anything wrong.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Well, the more you know! Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just enjoy it for what it is.

Posts: 2332 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if my auto stops, i'll manually wind 40-60 times + figure 8's for 60secs, 2-3 times thru that 1st day.

Posts: 2211 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Wait, can you manually wind that one (by turning the stem) or can you wind it only by shaking it? Some automatic movements aren't manual winders, but auto only.

If the latter, then you will have to be wearing it "vigorously" to wind it all the way up. Wearing it at a desk job won't wind it as much. That could also explain why you aren't getting 40 hours out of it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
This watch cannot be manually wound. It can only be wound by shaking it. What would you recommend as the best way to fully wind it and keep it wound? And yes, I do work a desk job (from home).

posted Hide Post
I had the same watch a while back. My biggest complaint was the push/pull crown would get caught on things and come out, messing up the time setting. Finally reutrned it and bought the Seiko 007 with the screw-in crown. As for winding, I have never had good luck with Seikos on a winder. I just periodically shake the one I'm wearing throughout the day for 30 seconds.

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
The purpose of the winder is to keep it running accurately.

A minor niggle, but this isn’t correct. The purpose of the winder is to keep it wound, it has nothing to do with accuracy. Accuracy can be adjusted in the internals of the watch with a timegrapher and teeny-tiny screwdrivers. Incidentally, I’m off to go hunt some down to do this very thing to an automatic watch of mine. This is called “regulation,” and your Seiko can he regulated to be more accurate than it currently is. You might get a quote from some local watchmakers.

You can hand wind your Seiko by shaking it, as explained in this video:

https://youtu.be/EZ9b2g3lLGU

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
This watch cannot be manually wound.

I've got 8-10 automatics and I've gotta admit, I didn't even know that was a thing but sure enough that Seiko Caliber 7S36 can't be manually wound. Who knew?

Same theme tho, I suspect you're only going to see the maximum reserve if you wear it several days in a row to get it completely wound up prior to resting.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have a Seiko Black Monster that I wear everyday for part of the day. It is 17 years old and has never been serviced. It runs a little fast but not too bad. You have to shake it or wear it, no winding.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I have one quite similar to that one.

I've found that if I wear it every day, as the days go by the accuracy improves.

I'm no watch expert, but to me it seems the Seiko 5 movement, although a really good movement for the price point, is a bit finicky if it's not worn a lot.

I don't have any fancy or expensive watches, but I do like to wear them, and I sort of rotate between, thus the Seiko 5's just don't give me a consistent accuracy.

Try wearing it every day, and if you're desk bound, shake your wrist during the day. See if that helps.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I want to add something about my Dad and his watch winding habit (and I now do it as well!)

My Dad worn an automatic watch years ago. He used to walk around and while his left arm was hanging down, he would twist his hand left, right, left, right, for a while. Often. He was winding his watch! A habit I picked up with my first automatic watch in 1965 (that I wore to Vietnam). A habit that continues today.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
I guess I'll just enjoy it for what it is.

That's it, exactly. Enjoy it for what it is.

I've had that watch (well, SNZG15 -- same thing, with a fabric strap instead of the stainless bracelet) for several years now, and I'm very happy with it. I'll admit, I haven't tried tracking its accuracy. Like jhe said, I roll mine around in my hand for a few seconds, set it, put it on, and go on about my day. And now that you've brought it up, I'll wear mine for a few days and check on the power reserve thing. I know mine does better than 24 hours, though.

It's a great watch and will serve you well. I've worn mine for all occasions, though I did take it off when doing some serious Sawzall work last month. I figure all that shaking isn't good for any watch. Sure, it's a hundred(ish)-buck watch, and nothing fancy at all. But it will work well, look good, take a good knock, and keep on doing its job. (In my opinion) you didn't make a mistake buying it.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
This watch cannot be manually wound. It can only be wound by shaking it. What would you recommend as the best way to fully wind it and keep it wound? And yes, I do work a desk job (from home).

Just wear it. Let it be as fully wound as it gets by wearing it. If it runs down before you wear it again, then shake it. You can use the watch winder if you like; I don't think it does any real harm.

Watches' timekeeping can vary as they wind down or are wound up - it is a problem with maintaining precision in mechanical watches as the load on the mainspring changes - but I would bet other sources of error are more important in a 7S36.

Remember precision is different than accuracy. Precision is that the watch runs the same all the time. A watch that loses exactly 14.5534 seconds every day is very precise, but isn't very accurate. You are complaining about accuracy, which can probably be improved by regulating your Seiko. Seiko doesn't spend a lot of time or effort regulating inexpensive watches - that is human-intensive handwork. Improving precision is not really possible, that is baked into the way the watch is designed and made.

Also remember, that unless you are navigating a ship, a watch that looses even a variable 45 to 30 seconds a day (which is neither precise or accurate) is plenty good enough for your purposes. You will be on time to your appointments, and not miss your favorite TV show. Just reset it every couple of weeks.

Watches are fascinating. You may already be sorry you asked, though. Wink

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your Seiko ! I have 3 Seiko divers automatics, a SKX007-173, a 6105-8110 and one I just received today, a SRPF13K1, which is the reissue Turtle with a metal bracelet.

I also have a Athlaya Lamafa, which is an homage watch to the Seiko 6105 divers. Recently, I had to get this watch serviced, as it had gone unwound for a year and wouldn't start after normal motion.

Then 2 weeks ago, I went to wear my Seiko 6105 and it wouldn't start after normal motion, but luckily a little later I was able to get it going.

Greg, at Watchman told me, it's not a good idea to let an automatic watch set for an extended length of time. Sometimes they start, sometimes they don't.

So, now, I rotate my automatic watches, wearing each one a week.

I am not one of those that measures the finite accuracy of my watches, as long as they run and keep reasonable time, fine with me.

Just wanted to toss what Watchman told me about letting automatic watches set .

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
As said, you’ve got a great watch. I had one of those and loved it, but gave it to my brother when I was thinning the herd. I still miss it sometimes.

If you want better accuracy, or manual wind, there are tons and tons of options. I’ve got a Marathon that has averaged 0.0 seconds lost per my tracking app over the last 4 months. In reality I’d call it +/- 1 second per day, regulated by position. My Seiko a have been closer to -25 seconds.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like that new seiko 5 field watch. Very cool. I have several seiko automatics with that same movement and they all give me about 24 hours or so of reserve after I take the watch off.

Posts: 4753 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Been trying to pull the trigger on a Marathon GSAR. This thread is not helping.

Posts: 7520 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post