SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wireless/bluetooth meat thermometer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wireless/bluetooth meat thermometer Login/Join 
Picture of cfiore
posted
I am looking to get a wireless or Bluetooth meat thermometer for the smoker and wondered if anyone has any recommendations or first hand experience good or bad with any?

Posts: 478 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thermoworks Smoke is the best of the best in my opinion.
If you only need to be within blue tooth range (10 ft or less on my smokers), Meater makes an inexpensive sleek solution.
I've used others, but have now stuck with Thermoworks.

Posts: 179 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a smoke and it works great. The wireless module that comes with it has a much further distance than Bluetooth

There is a newer version called Signals that’s wi-fi based also

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6227 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
I use my ThermoWorks products for just about everything. I’m also in a BBQ social space and most of those folks are using them too. Some are competitive BBQ members and use the ThermoWorks products:

Thermopen - Instant read thermometer
ThermaQ - WiFi enabled unit
Smoke - 2 and 4 probe unit with a WiFi gateway option

ThermoWorks

I have the products above and use the Smoke the most. And something should be in your price range.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've used those relatively inexpensive Maverick brand ones from Amazon, on my second go round. Probes fail, connector ports fail, the alarms are a PITA to set and have to be redone each time from scratch.

I spent a lot of time looking at options and have a Fireboard setup arriving tomorrow to use for a cook this weekend. No feedback yet, but everyone I know who has one and all the reviews seem good. I REALLY wanted one that wasn't reliant on BT and had an app for my phone with more functionality so I have more range from the smoker. I got the setup with more probes than the base, a bargain if you cook multiple things and have a big setup!

I was torn between this and the Smoke, but pulled the trigger on the FB.

If I'd bought this first, I'd have had $80 more to put towards the Fireboard. Seems like I'd have learned that lesson by now, both on this board and in real life.

Fireboard link, not a bunch of crazy doctors in MS.....

quote:
Originally posted by Kranky:

May want to check that link -- don't think it is what you expected.

--K

Well, it could have been way worse.... Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgeair,

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have an "ExpertGrill" wireless thermometer from Walmart that I got on clearance for $9.99 that is within 3 degrees of my instant read Thermapen.

I know it probably won't last more that a few seasons, but for that price I won't complain.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Smoke. Had one for a couple of years and love it. Bought one for my dad last Christmas

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've had a Maverick long rang for many years. It's served me well and is gold rated at AmazingRibs. However, its probes are way too thick, not as rugged as the competition (I always have spares on hand), competitors have faster probes (i.e. less likely to overshoot a temp in between readings), competitors are more accurate, and programming isn't intuitive.

If I were in the market for one today, it'd be the ThermoWorks Smoke (2-channel) or the newer Signals (4-channel w/ wifi). The probes are much thinner and more rugged, and higher probe temp range than the Maverick. It's also gold rated at AmazingRibs.

I have the instant read ThermoWorks ThermaPen Classic and it's awesome. Fast, accurate, rugged, long-lasting, etc. I would've likely purchased ten $21 best rated instant read thermometers on Amazon if they all lasted as long as the one I bought before the Thermoworks. I keep it in the optional silicone sleeve so it's easy to clean up and has additional drop protection. My ThermaPen Classic has made me a big fan of ThermoWorks.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I was given the Weber iGrill mini. Has worked quite well for me over the last two years.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I've used those relatively inexpensive Maverick brand ones from Amazon, on my second go round. Probes fail, connector ports fail, the alarms are a PITA to set and have to be redone each time from scratch.

I spent a lot of time looking at options and have a Fireboard setup arriving tomorrow to use for a cook this weekend. No feedback yet, but everyone I know who has one and all the reviews seem good. I REALLY wanted one that wasn't reliant on BT and had an app for my phone with more functionality so I have more range from the smoker. I got the setup with more probes than the base, a bargain if you cook multiple things and have a big setup!

I was torn between this and the Smoke, but pulled the trigger on the FB.

If I'd bought this first, I'd have had $80 more to put towards the Fireboard. Seems like I'd have learned that lesson by now, both on this board and in real life.

Fireboard

May want to check that link -- don't think it is what you expected.

--K

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want a project, check out Heatermeter. 4 probes & output for fan/damper to control temps

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the better Weber igrill it worked well for a few years then the temp was not to accurate in comparison to a thermapen. My wife got me the smoke and it's great. 1+ for therma products. Just my 2c. Don't really have any complaints about the Weber product either. The igrill app seemed to be better before Weber bought them out. App seemed to drop more after the buy out could just be my motto phone?

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Why do you need one? Why do you need to know when a pork butt or brisket is 110? 120? 130 40 or 50,60,65,70 etc.? It's because of these constant monitoring devices that people check on their phones once every 2 minutes that causes all the anxiety over "The Stall" and should I wrap to avoid "The Stall?"

Both these pieces of meat take 10 to 12 hours unless your running your smoker at 350 degrees and they are done around the 200 degree mark.No need to start probing until sometime after the 8 hour mark and then use the ThermaPen MK4. Your entire investment is less than a hundred bucks. Ribs don't require a temp test and if you're doing steak, chops,etc. you shouldn't be leaving your smoker anyhow.

I've spent a lot of time on all the relevant forums and I see more guys getting all wrapped up in their charts and graphs and constant monitoring that they take one of the simplest forms of cooking and over complicate it beyond understanding. Roll Eyes Just my opinion of course. Razz

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
The Weber iGrill mini has worked great for me. Very easy setup and easy to use.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Another smoke user. The only complaint is I can't figure out how to use only one sensor. I only need to see grill temp for first 4, 6, 8, whatever hours. Why do I get this damn no probe beep?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Smoke. It’s been great for the past few years. When I only need one probe for meat I use the other to monitor the smoker temperature. I don’t necessarily need to but it keeps the second channel busy.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do you need one? Why do you need to know when a pork butt or brisket is 110? 120? 130 40 or 50,60,65,70 etc.? It's because of these constant monitoring devices that people check on their phones once every 2 minutes that causes all the anxiety over "The Stall" and should I wrap to avoid "The Stall?"

For me I want to monitor pit temp by remote as much as I care about minute to minute monitoring of meat temp.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have and love the "smoke" as well.

quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

I couldn't care less what it is doing minute by minute. I do care about monitoring the pit temp to make sure it doesn't get too hot or my propane runs out! I don't pay attention to the meat temp until we're getting close and I don't have to open the smoker to check it either which is handy and keeps the heat in.

For short/easy stuff like ribs or chicken thighs and drums I don;t bother with it, just check with my Thermapen when I think they ought to be done to confirm.

quote:
Another smoke user. The only complaint is I can't figure out how to use only one sensor. I only need to see grill temp for first 4, 6, 8, whatever hours. Why do I get this damn no probe beep?
You can turn the alarm off for that probe and it won't beep.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Why do you need one?

So I don't have to open my smoker and stick a thermometer in the meat, then essentially start the smoke process over again when I'm a few degrees shy of taking it off.

As Aaron Franklin is fond of saying in his videos: "If you're lookin' you ain't cookin'!"

For the OP: Don't get a Pampered Chef wireless. It doesn't hold up, and your wife will get pissed when she sees how the smoker ruined it. Razz

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used a Maverick for years and can't imagine running my smoker without it.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post