SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody replaced vehicle fog lights with LED bulbs?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody replaced vehicle fog lights with LED bulbs? Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
One of the fog lights on my 2005 F-150 finally burned out after 15 years. Thinking about replacing them with LED bulbs, maybe even with a slight color to them. Wondering if anyone has had luck with LED replacements?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
Replaced both my vehicles fog lights and headlights with LEDs and have no issues. I have found out that you get what you pay for when it comes to cheap vs expensive.

https://headlightrevolution.com/

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I've replaced my F-150 (2010) with LED's in both the headlights and foglight. Like Bonfire says...its totally worth it to buy from headlight revolution. They tests TONS of bulbs to find out the optimal output and beam pattern for your specific model and year truck. I'm amazed how bright everything is now and without blinding everyone else on the road.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Stick with a quality regular bulb, like a Philips X-treme. All you end up doing is blinding oncoming traffic.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Stick with a quality regular bulb, like a Philips X-treme. All you end up doing is blinding oncoming traffic.

With a fog light? Confused They are mounted down low on the car, throw a short but wide beam, and can't blind anybody.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the headlight revolution link, that had not come up in my searches yet.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

With a fog light? Confused They are mounted down low on the car, throw a short but wide beam, and can't blind anybody.

Usually on the lifted Jeep mall crawlers that pride themselves on obnoxious accessories... Your comment is spot on for any 'normal' vehicle.

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I replaced headlights with Phillips LEDs bulbs with a plug and play system and converter driver. They were about $200. Im not sure of how a simple LED bulb swap without a dedicated driver would work. Something to think about.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I almost always swap my fog lights to yellow. Just did the Tundra last week going the cheap route.
JDM Astar bulbs now wishing I would have ponied up for the Diode Dynamics.
Was trying to save money for the off-road goodies.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/...ford-f-150-pair.html

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I really don't get why people feel the need to drive with them on. I have driven many types and makes of cars and trucks and have not seen a real difference in visibility.

The biggest impact is on the oncoming driver. They are blinding! I really try not to have to drive at night because of it.

Besides true fog lights are AMBER.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridja75:
quote:
quote:

Usually on the lifted Jeep mall crawlers that pride themselves on obnoxious accessories... Your comment is spot on for any 'normal' vehicle.

Thou doth protest too much, methinks.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did the Phillips Ultinon LEDs on my headlights and my fogs. They are made with the proper shielding on the LEDs so the light goes out and down, thereby not blinding oncoming drivers.

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
I really don't get why people feel the need to drive with them on. I have driven many types and makes of cars and trucks and have not seen a real difference in visibility.

The biggest impact is on the oncoming driver. They are blinding! I really try not to have to drive at night because of it.

Besides true fog lights are AMBER.

Bob

Around here the fog lights really light up the edge of the road. I am on a lot of narrow two lane roads that very infrequently have an edge line.
Good fog lights make a substantial difference. If we are lucky to have the edge lines the yellow light really makes the edge lines pop.

If fog lights are blinding to oncoming drivers there is something severely wrong.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I replaced the DRLs on my 11 year old JGC with Sylvania ZEVO (I think that's right) LEDs. Did not require the load balancer, although some autos do. The color is much more white, but they're not blinding.

My fog lights have not given up the ghost yet, surprisingly, but once one or both does/do, they'll be replaced with LEDs too.

Posts: 55 | Registered: July 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes with a fog light. MOST every LED aftermarket bulbs weren't designed to work properly in 99% of fog lights. They simply blast light everywhere, usually in the wrong spot for a reflector designed for a filament based bulb. They might be low, but they can be blinding or "dazzling" as they say across the pond. That combined with the fact that every other tool on the road runs their fog lights when it's not foggy out, makes it a bad setup.

Side note and PSA - If you run your fogs during the day, you're a giant TOOL. If you run them all the time at night regardless of conditions, you're also a tool.

quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I almost always swap my fog lights to yellow. Just did the Tundra last week going the cheap route.
JDM Astar bulbs now wishing I would have ponied up for the Diode Dynamics.
Was trying to save money for the off-road goodies.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/...ford-f-150-pair.html

I just cover the lens with yellow Lamin-x. Yellow output, and excellent protection at the same time.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If the bulbs stopped working after 15 years, I'd try to buy those same exact bulbs. Smile

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
If the bulbs stopped working after 15 years, I'd try to buy those same exact bulbs. Smile

That was my original plan. The fact that I only rarely used them at night in foggy/rainy conditions is probably why they lasted as long as they did.

Complacency sucks…

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if my fog lights are on, it's usually by accident.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
LED? No.

I did get a set of HID projector assemblies from an Infinity Q45 and put them in the headlight housing of my truck. The difference was amazing.

Putting fancy bulbs into an existing housing does not allow for proper light patterns. It may be cheaper and/or easier, but it doesn't have the desired result.

See if you can find LED specific fog light housings to go with your new diodes.

The same bulbs may be a better way to go.

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
...the absurd bright blue light goons are plentiful in this area....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post