SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Half My Life, I've Had Roxy Half My Life!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Half My Life, I've Had Roxy Half My Life! Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
29 years! Last week was Roxy's hatchday, but I've been dealing with a kidney stone.

So long ago I was young and pretty and now I'm just old and Roxy just gets even more beautiful.

I remember the day I got her. We were at a bird show and I stopped and something grabbed my shirt and wouldn't let go. Roxy had reached her little claw though her cage bars and latched onto me and just refused to let go. I promised her that no matter what, I would NEVER give her up or let her be mistreated in any way. I had to learn "cockatoo" and she had to learn "people".

We have been inseparable since. She calls my name in my late mother's voice, sleeps in her "nest" on her spot on the bed when she's frightened by the weather or when it's dangerously cold outside and the heat might fail in the house.

We've been through it all together and I can't imagine my life without her. She will outlive me by decades and there is nobody out there that will love her like I do.

Today

She's mischievous.

Gentle

My beautiful Roxy.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34131 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I don't be leave she has aged a day that I saw her many years ago.
She picked you and its a great match.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
That is a cool relationship! I hope you and Roxy continue life as friends!

Sorry about your kidney stone, those suck.

Posts: 1990 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Our Blue and Gold Macaw will be 23 years old this month, we got him when he was 7 weeks old.
He was a Birthday gift for our then 10 year old Daughter.
At the time we bought him I never imagined I would have to someday figure out what to do with him when my Wife and I are gone.I'm almost 72 and She is 67 so that is a real possibility now.
My Daughter now lives in CA.and shows no interest in ever recovering Her bird. My Son has 3 little kids and two aggressive Dogs, not sure if the Dogs or the little kids would be a bigger problem for the Bird even though the Bird holds his own when confronted.
Ziggy (the Bird) talks and swears up a storm (taught by my Son)every other person in our Family is scared of holding him, I never have been, and know that I can never show fear to him even when he does bite or try to.
I take him outside and he sits on our raised deck. He says hello and good by to those who pass by our corner home.
Last summer I was outside when an attractive lady walked by,Ziggy stunned me by letting out a LOUD wolf whistle right after she passed by.She turned and gave me the dirtiest look, I expected her husband to show up and let me have it for the whistle.

I never thought that birds are so smart,Ziggy has proven that they are extremely intelligent.
I constantly feel bad for allowing such a smart creature to live in a cage and not having the freedom to live a complete wild life.
We do the best we can for him but always think his life could be better and should be.

Posts: 4633 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Marzy and Roxy,
Half your life and all her life,
A partnership win.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31456 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Damn, that’s a long time. Cool looking bird.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Happy belated Bday Roxy!

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
What a beauty. Obviously well loved Smile

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5334 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are both blessed by such a friendship!

Bob

Posts: 1576 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16717 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Happy belated H-Day to Roxy!

Hope your kidneystone experience is over, and that it was brief and mild.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I think I’ve known you since Roxy was about 5. Big Grin
Happy hatch day to Roxy!!

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Cool pet.

but do you still have the Mullet?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Marzy,

You still rocking that mullet? Dye it yellow and put some gel in it and yall can have matching hairstyles Smile

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6335 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Simply couldn't resist Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16248 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
And here I thought something happened to the bird. Big Grin

Posts: 5748 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:

Sorry about your kidney stone, those suck.

truer words were never spoken.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
She's a beauty Mars! And pretty human-like.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38699 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Marzy,

You still rocking that mullet? Dye it yellow and put some gel in it and yall can have matching hairstyles Smile

On a secret Bird forum, Roxy has posted pictures of her capture of Mars (Roxy wouldn't let go) and the other birds, I'm sure, comment on Marzy's plumage. Big Grin

I've got a feral kitteh I caught a few yrs back. The household is changed. I can't imagine 3 decades of companionship. That's something special.

Posts: 7368 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
How many years does a cockatoo live?

Posts: 13289 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post