SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ICL - LASIK Alternative - Anyone Done It?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ICL - LASIK Alternative - Anyone Done It? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Had my annual eye doc appt last week. Asked about LASIK & they determined that I'm borderline, based on prescription (-10.5/-10.0) & cornea thickness.

They mentioned ICL as an alternative for those that are not LASIK candidates. Did a little digging around & there are a couple providers in the Houston area that do it (Mann/Berkeley/Eye Center of TX).

Anyone had ICL done? How was it, the recovery, any negatives?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15982 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I've not done either but am looking into both, I personally am more comfortable with the idea of ICL's as they are reversible.

That said I still see plenty of eye docs who still wear glasses.

Posts: 8179 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
can't say on ICL but Lasik did wonders for me, been 15 years I bet glasses and contacts free, just starting to have to have glasses for reading/computer use, some distance degradation which would have happened anyway regardless of Lasik or not.

IF you can get it done by all means getting free of the lens, glasses, solutions is well worth it..

Posts: 24242 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've been in corrected vision since I was 6. Glasses until about age 15 & contacts since. Made the switch to 24hr contacts about 2-3 years ago & it's been great.
Ditching it altogether would be amazing.

The fact that ICL is reversible makes it appealing. Especially with my eye doc saying I'm unlikely to be a candidate for LASIK/PRK.

Posts: 15982 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
When I did it the Doc told me I'd need to have reading glasses and perhaps glasses after 50, to which I responded, "I'll need them anyway if I dont' do the surgery when I'm over 50,

So 15 plus years of zero glasses and contacts has been great, I can still read things without readers, my biggest issue is clarity on TV at a distance or up close on computers.

Other than that I don't need glasses for everyday stuff, and I had contacts/glasses since an early age like you.

Posts: 24242 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Had my annual eye doc appt last week. Asked about LASIK & they determined that I'm borderline, based on prescription (-10.5/-10.0) & cornea thickness.

They mentioned ICL as an alternative for those that are not LASIK candidates. Did a little digging around & there are a couple providers in the Houston area that do it (Mann/Berkeley/Eye Center of TX).

How old are you ?

Posts: 394 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harleysbluff:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

How old are you ?

posted Hide Post
Here are some links to help with your decision. I have no direct experience with these, but as I understand it, the two main long term concerns are pupillary block (addressed by the iridotomies prior to the actual implant procedure) and cataract from the constant contact of the implant and the crystalline lens. I feel that the iridotomies negate the danger of pupillary block, but the jury is still out on the cataract issue.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov...cs/pdf3/P030016c.pdf

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov...cs/pdf3/P030016d.pdf

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 415 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Sounds similar to cataract surgery. Which is something I'm facing. My wife had an cataract done and noticed a distinct improvement in her vision.

Back then in 2001 I had LASIK. Went from 20/400 and "fingers at 6 feet" to 20/25.

When considering the doctor ask how many of these proceedures they do? Out of 100 cases, how many would be expected to have complications? You get the picture.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bump, any others?