SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    5 Year Old Asked why Police have Guns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5 Year Old Asked why Police have Guns Login/Join 
Banned
posted
We were at a public event and they had police present at the gates for security. We said hi to one of the officers, and my 5 year old and I noticed everything he had on his belt - cuffs, light, etc.

My son asked why he had a gun.

My response: In case he has to shoot someone.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
To protect people?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12736 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Good guys need weapons in order to protect you from bad guys with weapons.

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns."

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
There are bad guys out there who want to hurt people. The police carry guns so that they can stop the bad guys from doing that.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Because the other guy might have a gun...or simply a desire to hurt or kill an innocent.

More simply, because there is evil in the world.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30415 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
It's not just 5yr olds that ask that question!

I hear it from Brits, Aussies, and lots of US Millennials and Progs.

My pat answer is this..

Cops carry guns b/c sometimes the bad guys need to be shot. And you can't do that if you don't have a gun.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Only a good person with a gun can stop a bad person with a gun.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10708 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
To protect lives & uphold the law naturally

Posts: 13816 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Because evil exists, and good men are needed to keep that evil at bay, or it will grow and spread, to the ruin of all.

Posts: 3664 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Because sometimes evil cannot be confronted by words alone.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10208 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
To protect people ?
themselves.

Posts: 22928 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
To protect people ?
themselves.
You say that as if it were a bad thing. Naturally, they must protect themselves or they cannot perform their other duties.

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm, so we may sleep peacefully

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
Not to get off subject but this reminds me of when I was 10 years old. Im in a doctors office with my Dad waiting to be seen by a doctor, for my broken finger. 2 Chicago policemen walk into the same waiting room, one was my older cousin. His partner had a 1911 cocked and locked in his holster. I asked him why is your gun cocked like that...

His reply, " So when I pull the trigger it goes, Bang!"

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 388 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
...Because a civilian is too heavy...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
His partner had a 1911 cocked and locked in his holster. I asked him why is your gun cocked like that...His reply, " So when I pull the trigger it goes, Bang!"

My range master told a story: He carried a 1911 on duty, while he was walking into a store a customer approached him and said "Do you know that your hammer is cocked?"

He replied, "Yes it is, but it's not set to go off for another 30 minutes." Kept on walking...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yanert98:
It's not just 5yr olds that ask that question!

I hear it from Brits, Aussies, and lots of US Millennials and Progs.

You really need to find yourself some British friends who think it's no big deal.

The 1/8th of me that IS British thinks that police carrying guns is very sensible - here in yUK it would have saved a few lives over the past three or four years...shooting a knife-wielding thug AFTER he's killed your unarmed buddy is one event too late.

tac

Posts: 11333 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post