SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Learned a new trick: dip your screwdrivers in lapping compound for superior grip.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Learned a new trick: dip your screwdrivers in lapping compound for superior grip. Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
I saw that tool makers are coating some of their screwdrivers with diamond particles to help their screwdrivers bite into the screw. Helps prevent cam-out.

Thought to myself, "Hey, I've got some diamond paste that I use for stropping knives...". Did a quick Google search, and looks like people have been doing this with valve lapping compound.

Dabbed a little cheap 40 micron diamond paste onto a Phillips screwdriver and gave it a whirl on some screws. Surprisingly effective!

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Speaking of screwdrivers, Project Farm uploaded this test earlier this week. If you're a tool nerd, you'll find it fascinating. Cool

If you want Phillips head screwdrivers that resist cam-out, get PB Swiss, Wera, or Wiha. But I like your lapping compound idea too.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Speaking of screwdrivers, Project Farm uploaded this test earlier this week. If you're a tool nerd, you'll find it fascinating. Cool

If you want Phillips head screwdrivers that resist cam-out, get PB Swiss, Wera, or Wiha. But I like your lapping compound idea too.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xtZ2jh_J7XE" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Haha, I'm subscribed to his channel.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vibra-TITE makes a white paste (called Drive Grip) made for this exact purpose.
*other companies have their version too. Several options at the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibra-T...-Fluid/dp/B008RMT63A

Then you have the ACR type bits, which have anti cam out teeth.
Sometimes, I've actually had a hard time getting screws OFF of these type of bits. They bite!

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phillips bits dipped in valve grinding compound has been in use by mechanics for decades. I always keep it in my tool box.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using JIS head screwdrivers that seem to work well. I’ve been getting Vessel branded drivers (Japan brand). I like them better than the Phillips head drivers I’ve had. Not sure if they really make a difference but they’ve worked well for me.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12763 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I bought a set of Wera's last summer. Since then I've bought a bunch more. The Lasertip impressed me.

Posts: 21127 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xtZ2jh_J7XE" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Haha, I'm subscribed to his channel.

Me too. Great channel…and a good review of screw drivers.

0:01

Posts: 4219 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

Then you have the ACR type bits, which have anti cam out teeth.
Sometimes, I've actually had a hard time getting screws OFF of these type of bits. They bite!

Cool! Learned something new. I have a cheap Black and Decker bit set I bought ages ago, probably at a Walmart or something. The bits had ribs on them and a titanium coating. I figured these were marketing gimmicks for otherwise crappy bits. The bits bit well, but wore out quickly.

Didn't realize that ACR is an actual trademarked bit specification. I've got a box of Wera ACR bits in the shopping cart now.

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Speaking of valve lapping compound, the guy who taught me to do valve work didn't lap valves, he did an interference angle and slammed the valve into the seat to make a ring to indicated seat height on the valve face. When a customer asked if he lapped valves, he'd reply: "The only thing we lap around here is pussy"

Posts: 7487 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the video. Seems like Wera is the best balance of performance and price for the average consumer non-professional.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12763 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Vibra-TITE makes a white paste (called Drive Grip) made for this exact purpose.

Interesting, as I just tried this product for the first time about an hour ago. To be honest, the Philips head screw was very small (eyeglass frame) and I was using less than a high quality Philips screwdriver. It did not work for me, but I will try it again when the opportunity arises.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Learned this trick while in the Navy. It works.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4242 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post