SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home construction ( flooring question)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home construction ( flooring question) Login/Join 
posted
What's the term that's used when,
Instead of laying plywood on the floor joists ,
They put down one by four inch hardwood diagonally ,

Before installing either carpet or hardwood flooring.

It was on early 1900's better quality homes

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55210 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
My first thought would be real hardwood flooring. Terminologies may be different depending on where in the US you are located. Might be called slats. Some places they would call it “Pergo”. I’ve heard people call tongue and groove hardwood flooring “Bruce Flooring”.

I hope this helps for what it’s worth.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
from what I have read, it is a plank or lumber subfloor.

Not a very fancy name, but probably less fancy names back then.

A house I built in 1980 had a fir plank roof sheathing rather than plywood cause it was cheaper back then. Looked crappy during install, but never had a problem with it.

Posts: 1571 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Plank subfloor.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Plank subfloor.

^^This. A previous house I lived in and remodeled was built in the late 1940's. Walls were plaster & lath. Floors had plank subfloor like you describe, with 3/4" tongue & groove red oak hardwood installed over it.

You can see the original plank subfloor in the picture below. I removed a wall and had to patch in new 3/4 red oak. I also laid the new plywood subfloor.

I could be wrong, but I think what we think of as plywood subfloor was used in residential construction starting in the late 1950's or early 1960's?

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a plank subfloor.

My house was built around 1900.

When we ripped up a bathroom floor that was underneath.

Posts: 4784 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's it thanks folks,
The TV show that I saw it on , said it's the way it should all be done.

They didn't go into any detail as to why it was so much better.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55210 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
My house was built in 1940.

Still has original hardwood floors (like the image above) in the living room and dining room.

I will be pulling the vinyl and carpet and (hoping to) see if I have more hardwood.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post