SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Miracle drug could 'cure' peanut allergies within weeks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Miracle drug could 'cure' peanut allergies within weeks Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
My grandkid's school has asked that parents not send them to school with PB&J sandwiches as so many kids suffer with this allergy.

I don't remember this problem when I was a kid.
I'm not a medical person, but I am extremely skeptical that anyone could get a life threatening reaction just from smelling someone else's peanut butter sandwich.

If there's a medical journal article claiming such, I'd be open to being a bit less skeptical. Anecdotes, lay-press articles, blogs, hearsay, breathless warnings from lawsuit-apprehensive school administrators, etc? Not going to move the dial, I'm afraid.

Data - maybe a double blind study where (with medical staff standing by) they sneak a couple kids with peanut butter sandwiches into a lunchroom with kids that actually were proven to have severe peanut allergies, with hidden cameras rolling, and actually see what happened? That'd be dispositive.

Human nature being what it is, however, I suspect there are a lot more mental than physiological issues with wanting to control what other kids eat. i.e. "My little Johnny can't eat PBJ so nobody else should, either" or "My little Billy is so unhappy that he isn't allowed PBJ and he is out-of-control enough that he will steal the other kids' if he sees a chance" kind of deal.

I really can't imagine that a few molecules in the olfactory sensors would trigger anaphylaxis. But, again, I may be wrong here.

It has nothing to do with the smell. Kids share food, kids don't wash their hands when they are done eating, kids put their hands in their mouths after touching things.

Most schools just have a 'nut free' classroom if there are kids with peanut allergies.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wish they’d find a cure for a corn allergy. I’ve had food swallowing problems that came to a head when I got something stuck in my throat and had to go to the ER. After testing I learned that I’m allergic to corn. The one damn food that’s everywhere and in everything. So now I have to get my throat a stretch job every year

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
They use the word ‘fortnight’, so I’m skeptical.

Indeed. Usually accompanied by a m'lady.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post