SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Acupuncture for back pain Need Advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acupuncture for back pain Need Advice Login/Join 
posted
Any Forum members used this technique for pain relief?

Posts: 17528 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Yes. I have experienced very good relief from it. Lower and mid back pain from injuries sustained in Iraq have laid me quite badly on more than one occasion and after getting the treatment, I have gone for longer periods of comfort. You probably won't be entirely pain free, but it does ease my symptoms and allows me to do more than I had without. I absolutely hate any kind of prescription pain medication and refuse to take any so I had been trying do what I can without meds and this has given me my best results. I hope it works for you or whomever it's for.

Posts: 2860 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I have an aunt who has a rare illness. She's tried all kinds of prescriptions to alleviate symptoms and discomfort which have only gotten worse over the years. She found someone who does/includes Chinese medicine and they treat her with acupuncture and some herbal medicine(s) and you can literally see the difference in her. Her feet and face used to turn very red anytime she got the least bit too warm, and it was visible to all. There is no known cure for her condition, but it's clear to everyone she's much better off since starting the acupuncture and herbal treatment a few years ago.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I got relief from severe back pain for awhile. Actually over two separate time periods I had treatment that helped, then nothing. Definitely try it it can't hurt!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7077 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
I believe in it. Have it on a quarterly basis along with massage as needed.

I have a couple of bullet wounds, shrapnel, broken shoulders and 5 crushed vertebrae from a military helicopter crash. To say the least it all hurts from time to time over the last 49 years and since I don't drink or smoke the massage coupled with acupuncture is excellent. My Dr. studied in China and really knows his stuff.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
A portion of my physical therapy after being rear ended while on a motorcycle was "needling". I'm guessing that is the same as acupuncture, but I could be mistaken. All I know is that it did work well in combination with other therapies.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
uber-geek
Picture of rwdflynavy
posted Hide Post
I get it every 6-8 weeks for several years. Gives me significant relief for my lower back.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." ~George Mason

chartprepping.com Retirement Planning and Random Musings from a Military Perspective

Posts: 3391 | Location: Big Lick Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done it and it helps, better than a chiropractor.

Posts: 1413 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do... or do not.
There is no try.
Picture of fau
posted Hide Post
It worked on my lower back as well. I believe in it although I don't totally understand it.

Posts: 2736 | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It didn't help me any with joint pain, but maybe the lady who did it was a quack. Had it done here in Jerkwater, so there's a chance that's the case.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bushpilot:
since I don't drink or smoke the massage coupled with acupuncture is excellent.

I know absolutely nothing on the subject. Would you mind telling me what this means? You're saying that this practice isn't beneficial (or enjoyable) for someone that smokes and or drinks? Again, I'm not disagreeing- I'm curious.

Posts: 744 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I had a badly pulled lower back muscle a couple weekends ago. I couldn't get in to the chiropractor so I went to my massage therapist/acupuncturist on Monday. One hour of deep tissue massage on my back followed by 1/2 hour of acupuncture and I was able to walk out almost totally pain free. Now this was for a badly strained muscle, not constant back pain.

Posts: 4064 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome to see so many good experiences and comments about acupuncture. I am an acupuncturist and I'd be willing to answer any general questions you might have - either in this thread or by PM.

Jeff Rippey

Posts: 15 | Location: CO | Registered: September 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
About ten years ago I began suffering an ache in my lower back if I sat in a slouched position for awhile (the ache would end if I stood up). I began doing sit-ups. I worked up to 33 very fast ones three times a week, and 105 slower ones twice a week. That wholly ended the aches.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9467 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Yes, and it really does work. I had a spell where my back would not relax enough for my chiropractor to adjust it. He was trained in China for acupuncture and it worked.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do acupuncture and cupping once a month, coupled with my bi-weekly chiropractic and monthly massage therapy I find substantial relief. I prefer to do massage, then acupuncture, then Chiro for best results and better application of techniques by the doctor.

This is for shoulder and back pain.

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Both my wife and I tried acupuncture for our backs. It seemed to us that the procedure helped acute pain but had less effect on chronic pain problems. Of course the success rate may depend o the practitioner.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8760 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
My mom and wife have raved about relief they have gotten from acupuncture. I have been having back pain in my upper back for almost a year and do not yet know what is causing it. I tried acupuncture with a well known Chinese doctor every week for several months and it did not help at all. Next I am going to try a chiropractor and if that doesn't help then I will get X-ray and MRI to try and figure out what is going on.

Just because acupuncture didn't work for me doesn't make me feel it doesn't work for people. It has been around for a long time and I think it just depends on the person and what is causing their problem.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8752 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
and if that doesn't help then I will get X-ray and MRI to try and figure out what is going on.

Dude! I highly suggest that you consider getting the X-ray/MRI before you let anyone yank on your spine. If something IS wrong not only will chiropractic therapy NOT help... it could cause significant damage.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parallel:
quote:
and if that doesn't help then I will get X-ray and MRI to try and figure out what is going on.

Dude! I highly suggest that you consider getting the X-ray/MRI before you let anyone yank on your spine. If something IS wrong not only will chiropractic therapy NOT help... it could cause significant damage.

You are probably right. I have never been to a chiropractor in my life. I think I will take your advice and get the x-ray and MRI first.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8752 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post