SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Plumbing Question ~ Water heater
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plumbing Question ~ Water heater Login/Join 
Picture of sleepla8er
posted

Update, After I shut off the gas to the hot water heater, I turned on the water main for 5 minutes to ensure the water heater was topped off.

The hot-water heater's operation sticker is on the back of the unit. I used my cell phone camera to snap pictures because there isn't enough room between the wall and the heater to read them.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

---------

Question ~ Main water feed to the house is off as I wait for a plumber to arrive Monday or Tuesday.

Do I need to do anything with the hot water heater since the water feed is off and is not supplying cold-water to the hot water heater?

---------

Background...
A small copper pipe from the upstairs master bathroom's cold-water feed to the sink travels through the walls and floor into the downstairs kitchen to feed the ice maker in the freezer. Home built late 1960s

The fitting into the freezer failed.

The fitting under the master sink is corroded and broke.

The main waterline to the house is off.

Plumber (nephew) will arrive Monday (more likely Tuesday or Wednesday) to replace master sink fittings, and cap off the line or replace fitting into the freezer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sleepla8er,

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Turn hot water heater off.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum said: "You'll be fine trust us."

Picture of mn_smokeater
posted Hide Post
kill the power to the Water heater. Not good on it to run empty as the water drains down/coos etc

~------------------------------~
"Other Duties as Assigned"

Posts: 1355 | Location: Bemidji, MN | Registered: March 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Kill the circuit breaker to the water heater (or gas if that's what heats it).

Posts: 9527 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Google gas water heater without water.
Need to turn off the gas to water heater.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No, don't turn the gas to the heater all the way off.

Put the water heater on the Pilot setting. That's all you need to do. If you shut the gas all the way off, then you have to deal with relighting the pilot light later, which can be a hassle on some water heaters. There's no point in doing all that.

Posts: 32528 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Thanks Rogue for the advice.

I was able to take pics of my water heater's specific instructions for how to shut-off the gas and relight the pilot once the water pipe is fixed.

For my unit, the relight is not a big pain and I opted to shut it all the way off.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post