SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bench Vise Recommendation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bench Vise Recommendation Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have 2 vises that belonged to my grandfather and I assume his father. The big one is a Columbian. Made in Cleveland and by the model number is from the 30s. It weighs about 40 pounds and only has a 4” jaw but has been big enough for my uses

There’s some tool forums where guys really geek out on vises and you can learn more than you ever wanted to know. Where I researched my vintage vise

Posts: 4769 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Indeed, people obsess about everything. Go look at anvils just for a little bit.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a workshop, and hence no bench vise. But I have no hesitation recommending the MADE IN USA PanaVise. It’s flat out wonderful as a third-hand tool.

Mine is the vacuum-mount model. Absolutely standard, except that I equipped it with brass jaw inserts. There are many accessories available for it.

2-1/2" Light Duty Multi-Angle Vise with Vacuum Base
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017...HCE8ABRGYQT2QX5497AB

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post