SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What happens when Police training is replaced with PC "training"?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What happens when Police training is replaced with PC "training"? Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
What happens? Innocent people get damaged and guilty people escape consequence. Leftism always leads to that end.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
The four pillars of effective policing are Recruitment, Selection, Training, and Discipline. Recruitment and Selection of QUALITY candidates only occurs when the agency competes well on the job market-that means salary and benefits.

Police academies are only the first basic step in training-compare it to elementary school. Training must be a continuous, ongoing, career long process. Training is expensive in terms of manpower, travel, and overtime costs.

A well trained agency must have clear limits and enforcement of those limits with discipline, both positive and negative. Positive behavior must be rewarded and inappropriate behavior must be corrected. A robust culture of discipline, both positive and negative, must be present. Law enforcement officers have powers that no one else in our society have-the authority to use force, and the authority to restrict freedom, and those authorities must be controlled for there to be public trust.

A poorly staffed and trained, and poorly led department cannot meet the challenges of modern law enforcement. Sorry recruits will become sorry supervisors and command officers, and stupid shit will just continue to happen. The first line supervisor must be engaged with line officers on an integral level. The first line supervisor is a linchpin in the delivery of quality service, and has to be developed to the fullest extent possible.

It all starts with quality people and development of a professional force. That all costs money and resources. This is exactly why de-funding the police has such a terribly adverse effect on professional law enforcement.

Elected officials control the resources, period. It's why the community gets precisely the quality of police service that it deserves.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I had a dollar for every idiot who thought they would beat the charges, or win a huge civil rights lawsuit because I didn't read them their Miranda rights while booking them into jail.

I'd explain that Miranda was only required if I was asking them guilt-seeking questions, not the identification stuff I wanted to process them. Some of them stated that I obviously didn't know what I was talking about. Yeah, well, if you're so damn smart, how did we catch you?

A few of them were even dumb enough to be snotty with the judge over it, and got contempt charges.

Stupid cop shows on TV sure have made real police work more difficult in some ways. If TV were reality, I'd have had the bad guy caught and convicted in 45 minutes.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Agree:
Defense Attorney: Isnt it true you failed to advise the Defendant of his Miranda Rights"?
Me: "I did not read him Miranda because I did not question him".
Defense: "How did you ID him to book him into jail"?
Me: :"From his drivers license. The Jailer questioned him for that information, not me".
Defense: "No further questions"!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I recall the family of some drunk we arrested showing up at the PD front desk asking for the officer in charge. They were raising hell because the officers did not read him his rights when arrested at the scene and demanding that he be released immediately. (That wasn't going to happen because he was already at county jail). I explained to them about Miranda and that it applies only if we are asking questions, and tried to calm them down. They disagreed and became so outraged that the guy's mother battered one of my officers. She went to jail, and we didn't read her Miranda, either. Sometimes stupid runs in families.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
I understand that this might be okay in many places, but in Washington it's not. In Washington, according to specific rule (CrR 3.1 or CrRLJ 3.1) the arrested person MUST be informed they have the right to counsel as soon as practical, which for almost all purposes would be as soon as they are arrested

This is true whether or not they are asked questions.

Interesting...

Around here, Miranda warnings are only required prior to custodial interrogations.

Yeah, WA has a lot of unique things like that. You’d faint over the search and seizure stuff.

It's more a 4th Circuit Court thing I believe......the west coast all generally have the same rules with respect to Miranda. Alaska is the same as WA state. I had to advise Miranda as soon as I hooked someone up. I'd search em, put them in the car, and read Miranda. Has to be read from a card, not recited from memory either. I'd always write date/time of Miranda on the card & put that with their personal effects. I have buddies still serving down in Oregon who do the same (read Miranda as soon as an arrest is made).

Posts: 1732 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post