SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Instrument Cluster Lighting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Instrument Cluster Lighting Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
Good afternoon Borg Collective,

I have a 1997 Toyota Corolla DX which I use for my airport car...sits in the blazing Texas sun in the employee lot while on my trips. Several years ago, half the lights went out on the instrument cluster. I've watched some Youtube vids on how to replace the bulbs and the process seems simple enough...very limited tools and about a half gallon of patience to shimmy the instrument panel out of the dash.

Here's the million $$ question...

Should I replace the bulbs with original OEM incandescent bulbs or with LED's???

Pros?
Cons?
Doesn't matter?

Thanks in advance!!!

p.s. This "staycation" is costing me too much money!!! Eek

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
On these older clusters, LEDs tend to have 'hot spots' & less consistent lighting.
It's been a few years, so the LEDs may be better than back when I did it in the late 00s.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15366 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
For your use really does not matter.
Whatever is cheapest.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25441 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One vote to replace with the same bulbs - and do all of them. Since they only run when the engine is running, you won't save any money on electricity. As the car is older, it will likely be retired in the next few years anyway.

Posts: 2776 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
As the car is older, it will likely be retired in the next few years anyway.

You clearly do not understand the culture of flight crew airport cars! He who has the oldest most decrepit pos wins. But it must start when the owner returns from a trip in the middle of the night in a snowstorm.

Posts: 9478 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Make sure they are good quality LED’s first. Second make sure they are dimmable.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8132 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post