SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    AutoMeter aftermarket setup - wiring question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AutoMeter aftermarket setup - wiring question. Login/Join 
posted
I’m installing Autogauge 2391 cluster in a 1959 Bel Air. The three pod cluster (water temp, oil psi, volts) are all electrical connections.

Each pod’s electrical diagram show a 12v ground from battery and 12v from the ignition switch.

My question is- Can I run a single wire for the ground from the battery to the cluster, then take each negative wire from each pod and tie it into the lone negative wire? Similarly with the ignition source, one wire from the switch to the cluster which ties into all three pod positive wires?

What say ye?

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I say yes.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I concur. Yes.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Yes. I would run a 10 gauge wire from the battery. This should reduce resistance and heat build up issues.

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Yes. If you want it to look really cool, you can put together a bus bar for ground and another for switched power. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Yes. If you want it to look really cool, you can put together a bus bar for ground and another for switched power. Wink

Now you are just showing off. Razz Big Grin

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
My question is why are you running the ground wire off of the negative battery terminal? Body grounding should be fine for the gauges. Seems like a lot of unnecessary wiring and another chance for an electrical problem down the road. Lucas used to do things like that in British cars and motorcycles, unnecessary complications in wiring IMO.

I would run a couple of the braided copper wire ground straps between the body and the frame though.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I ran my ground wires off a bolt from under the steering column.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
My question is why are you running the ground wire off of the negative battery terminal? Body grounding should be fine for the gauges. Seems like a lot of unnecessary wiring and another chance for an electrical problem down the road.

Especially on a big ol' car like that where EVERYTHING is metal!

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes you can tie all the grounds and switched 12V together. I would probably run one and then piggyback from one gauge to the next. Solder all connections and connectors to the wires. Finish with heat shrink tubing. Gauges are low amperage so no need to go crazy on heavy wiring.

Still waters run deep, so careful I don't drown you.

Posts: 146 | Location: Grantville, Ga | Registered: June 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I’ll find a suitable ground nearby vs the battery.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Not just for looking cool, I used bus bars when re-wiring my FJ-40 with optional gauges and accessories. One big one (from Blue Sea) in the engine compartment removed a cable mess from the battery, with one large cable from the battery to the Blue Sea device. It took ATO and ATC fuses. I also used smaller bus bars under the dash, fed from the larger fuse block in the engine compartment. Using them both places makes cable management and trouble-shooting very easy.

And yes, on a car of that vintage a body/frame location for the negative is very easy to find. I grounded my battery to the engine block, frame, and body.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Adequate grounds between the engine, frame and body are important.

While the ground cables/straps may sound redundant as metal to metal “usually” works by itself there are instances that this method causes more problems.

Case in particular, we in GM parts received a TSB regarding repeated floor shift cable failures. Seems upon inspection of the alleged new defective cables that were sticking and snapping it was due to the ground straps between the engine/transmission and the frame missing. The path to ground was taking the path of least resistance through the shift cable. Arcing of the internal cable caused it to weld to the outer cable and for a ground path. Cable stuck, shift effort went up until one day the cable was weakened enough to snap it.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Adequate grounds between the engine, frame and body are important.

While the ground cables/straps may sound redundant as metal to metal “usually” works by itself there are instances that this method causes more problems.

Case in particular, we in GM parts received a TSB regarding repeated floor shift cable failures. Seems upon inspection of the alleged new defective cables that were sticking and snapping it was due to the ground straps between the engine/transmission and the frame missing. The path to ground was taking the path of least resistance through the shift cable. Arcing of the internal cable caused it to weld to the outer cable and for a ground path. Cable stuck, shift effort went up until one day the cable was weakened enough to snap it.

You are a old timer to remember those days.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post