SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Food from the Largest Gas Station >>>>>>>
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Food from the Largest Gas Station >>>>>>> Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Do you get to sit with truckers on round stools at the counter? Waitresses named Dixie and Madge who have pencils behind their ears to take your order?

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They do not allow 18 wheelers in the parking lot!

Posts: 868 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
There is a new one servicing I95 in Daytona Beach, Florida. Ocala, Florida has one under construction along I75.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
^No, but they scream something every time a brisket comes off the smoker.

"Hot brisket on the board!!"

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
On the way up to Franklin, TN a couple weeks ago we passed one they were finishing up in northern AL or just into TN. It’s freaking HUGE!

Posts: 1199 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Went to a wedding in S. Austin yesterday. Couldn't pass Bucees without stopping for some jerky and Beaver Nuggets. Drove right past Black's BBQ and Kreutz's and Luling City Market without stopping since BBQ was the catering at the wedding. Afterwards on the way home, it was late and all the great BBQ was closed so back to Bucees it was. Got some fresh fudge and another pack of Beaver Nuggets.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Buckees rocks.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
You can't not get some Beaver Nuggets!

And yeah, even Mrs.BurtonRW (who despises all public restrooms) agrees that if you're inclined to eat off of the floor of one, it would certainly be at Buc-ees. Impressively clean.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
Went to a wedding in S. Austin yesterday. Couldn't pass Bucees without stopping for some jerky and Beaver Nuggets. Drove right past Black's BBQ and Kreutz's and Luling City Market without stopping since BBQ was the catering at the wedding. Afterwards on the way home, it was late and all the great BBQ was closed so back to Bucees it was. Got some fresh fudge and another pack of Beaver Nuggets.

Bastrop Bucees?

For the longest time, the only one I knew of was the one on 290 in Giddings.
Never got the hype as that one just a gas station with very clean bathrooms & some of the snacks.
The Madisnonville store was the first big one I visited, and it used to be on the smaller side compared to the Katy store.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Come on Mikey, Try it, you will like it!

BBQ is very good, brisket is great, and it's always fresh due to the volume, their snacks, pastries are good, Jerky selection is amazing, and the shitter is never ful

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Partly it is the anticipated ambience. Do they have country music blaring? I am not a snob but prefer sit down venues where they take reservations.

think cracker barrel gift store meets bbq place with bigger wawa store

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
It was the one just north of Gonzales on I-10 and 183. I live in Victoria so its actually about halfway.

quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:

Bastrop Bucees?

For the longest time, the only one I knew of was the one on 290 in Giddings.
Never got the hype as that one just a gas station with very clean bathrooms & some of the snacks.
The Madisnonville store was the first big one I visited, and it used to be on the smaller side compared to the Katy store.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
think cracker barrel gift store meets bbq place with bigger wawa store

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks that seals it for me.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's one on the highway in my town. Stopping at one was something I used to look forward to on road trips but now that there's one right down the road I rarely go anymore.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Buc-ees is the king of gas station food. Brisket sandwiches and tacos, breakfast tacos. Jerky, fudge, pastries, Beaver Chip(fresh potato chips), etc.

They have OK kolaches, I get mine from Czech Stop in West, Texas.

But one amazing thing about Buc-ees; the bathrooms are clean and humongous. Dozens of urinals and stalls.

Haven't stepped into a dirty Buc-ees bathroom yet.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
They have bought 52 acres off I-24 near Murfreesboro TN for one that is in the planning/approval stage... that location is about 15 miles from my house.

The "store" will be a little less than half the size of your average Super Walmart. 76,000 sq feet.

120 fueling stations, non ethanol available, plus EV charging.

Almost 500 parking spaces. 15 bus/RV spaces.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Here's a fun video for you to enjoy:

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never been to one but I'm not so uppity that I would refuse to give it a shot if the occasion arises .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The food at Buc-ees is better than a lot of fast food and convenience store snacks. But it would be a mistake to call it good food. It is good for its category. There is nothing wrong with that, but don't think this is Lutece.

The bathrooms are super clean, and you can get pure gasoline at some Buc-ees.

Bagged ice is cheap.

It is, however, nothing more than a giant, clean gas station and convenience store. I don't understand why these turn into attractions.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never been to one but I'm not so uppity

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It is a matter of personal preference, you read too much into things.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The food at Buc-ees is better than a lot of fast food and convenience store snacks. But it would be a mistake to call it good food. It is good for its category. There is nothing wrong with that, but don't think this is Lutece.

Bagged ice is cheap.

It is, however, nothing more than a giant, clean gas station and convenience store. I don't understand why these turn into attractions.

Your next to last sentence summarizes why, to me, why Buc-eyes is attractive, not an attraction, per se.
Good road food and snacks; clean, no waiting rest rooms; and plenty of gas pumps. Convenient all the way. The store in Terrell is our regular stop going into and out of Dallas from deep East Texas. I don’t think I have ever ventured into the kitschy gift shop side (at least not yet, there may be that limited edition collector grade Buc-ees/A&M tchotchke to be had....)
So yes, giant, clean, convenient gas station decent food and a sense of humor in their advertising seems to be attractive.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Bagged ice is cheap.

Your next to last sentence summarizes why, to me, why Buc-eyes is attractive, not an attraction, per se.
Good road food and snacks; clean, no waiting rest rooms; and plenty of gas pumps. Convenient all the way. The store in Terrell is our regular stop going into and out of Dallas from deep East Texas. I don’t think I have ever ventured into the kitschy gift shop side (at least not yet, there may be that limited edition collector grade Buc-ees/A&M tchotchke to be had....)
So yes, giant, clean, convenient gas station decent food and a sense of humor in their advertising seems to be attractive.

If you have ever driven in other countries, then you know we American's are blessed to have places like Buc-ees, or even just a Wa Wa or 7-Eleven that we can turn off the highway and get gas, food, restroom, etc. especially that are open 24-hours. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3057 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post