SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boss wants everyone to take a Myers Briggs personality test to help increase teamwork
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boss wants everyone to take a Myers Briggs personality test to help increase teamwork Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The problem is when the bosses use these things to make decisions ... Oh your an introvert so we would never consider you for a sales position... That sort of BS

I'm an introvert... But my job is dealing with people all day. I'm also an asshole, but I have to deal with people all day.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10755 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have always disliked being a member of "the team". The old crap of there is no "i" in team nonsense. Fortunately I had a career of working on my own. Doing things my way. In other words I don't work well with others. LOL. And I must add it worked out very well for me.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
I am required to take the Farnsworth color test once a year.

^^^^^^
OK enlighten me. Does your job require superior color hue discrimination???

Absolutely.

I am the director of digital graphics and the only color scientist we have in the plant.

Architects demand exact color match across many substrates and most digital printing equipment has a limited gamut and density plateaus coupled with metarmeric shift in different lighting conditions.

My eyesight is my living and the company pays for my vision care. I can only get lenses and coatings that do not change the way I perceive color. Ray-Ban actually makes the lenses and coatings I need.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34419 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Sounds interesting. It would make sense that certain people would have superior skills in color discrimination.

Posts: 17528 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to take one at school. It was an interesting introspective tool, but it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Intrestingly enough, no changes where made to the course based on the results of the tests, so it was only of conversational value.

Posts: 4763 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took it years ago. Confirming what I know about myself and my director continued to treat me like shit. So useless psycho babble. People will never value introverts who are good with their hands. We just don’t self promote.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1131 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
I am required to take the Farnsworth color test once a year.

^^^^^^
OK enlighten me. Does your job require superior color hue discrimination???

Absolutely.

I am the director of digital graphics and the only color scientist we have in the plant.

Architects demand exact color match across many substrates and most digital printing equipment has a limited gamut and density plateaus coupled with metarmeric shift in different lighting conditions.

My eyesight is my living and the company pays for my vision care. I can only get lenses and coatings that do not change the way I perceive color. Ray-Ban actually makes the lenses and coatings I need.

I still have the record for the Munsell test completion time with 100% accuracy in my group

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10755 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Even further off topic, but if I had my own business, and was evaluating new hires the best piece of information (not sure if its even legal) would be a credit report.
That's one of the best indicators of making consistently good life decisions.
And even that requires a measure of common sense when evaluating it. We once had a gentleman apply for a position we all liked and thought was a great fit, only to have HR eliminate him due to a weak credit score. Come to find out through asking questions he'd only had a bad credit score for the past couple years due to a nasty divorce. Prior to that, his credit was sterling. Again, we lost a great option for a new team member not because he wasn't a good fit for the team or because he didn't have the skills or abilities to do the job well, but because HR was unbending in their 'requirements'. IMO the biggest detriment to companies today are their worthless HR departments.

Agreed, nasty divorce or major medial problems can really destroy a credit score. Everything must be evaluated in the proper context.

Zero tolerance policies are the preferred tools of petty minded bureaucrats and managers everywhere.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2941 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
We had to. It was misused. It did not help teamwork. It was forgotten.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5216 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
HR at a former employer dictated we would all do this - WE (the Engineering Department and proverbial ISTJs)all agreed in advance to answer the questions 180-degrees away from our 1st instinct.

Really screwed up the works and pissed off the HR gal. Big Grin

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4657 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
HR at a former employer dictated we would all do this - WE (the Engineering Department and proverbial ISTJs)all agreed in advance to answer the questions 180-degrees away from our 1st instinct.

Really screwed up the works and pissed off the HR gal. Big Grin
Excellent!

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I could never have Mars job.
I am about the most color blind guy (color deficient) there is. Always get rated severe. Has held me back from numerous things I’ve wanted to do. Fly at night, work in lab, Firefighter, match socks. I was so glad when they came out with Garanimals.

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A company I retired from almost 20 years ago started doing that every other year, and I noticed that some of the questions asked at the beginning were asked later in the test but worded a little bit different. Your name wasn’t included on the test form and you turned it in to the local office sealed so I didn’t complete any the last times they were given to us.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Pontiac Motor Division did something similar about 1994. They decided that the key to sales was to build teamwork throughout the dealerships. So it was mandated that each dealership would send all personnel from dealer owner to part time lot person to a one day workshop at a remote location for tests, rah rah meetings and touchy feely teamwork.

And we all see how well that worked out for PMD.

Don't even get me started on businesses and their mass "rah rah" meetings. Last one I attended made up my mind that it was time to get out. After two annual events I could not take a third. To think, making me sit in a chair for seven hours listening to speeches then being offered cheap ass pizza is going to inspire me daily....

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Myers Briggs personality test

My casual reading of it (I had to look it up) strikes me as pseudoscience. It also sounds ripe for abuse, i.e., being used in lieu of common sense to make policy and hiring/firing decisions. If a boss can't figure out peoples' strengths and weaknesses himself, maybe he shouldn't be boss.

Posts: 28690 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Testing ONLY works in a controlled enviroment and is used to validate information transfer. Testing for 'personalites', team workers etc. is COMPLETE BOGUS. I have written many tests and would not entertain any kind of aptitude or personality test as they can easlily be scammed! Most middle schoolers have figured out that one.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I DID have to take it when I worked for the school system.

It was used against me as a vindictive weapon when I got injured and had a lot of time off for rehab. They sent me for a psych eval at THEIR doctor of choice, I fought it and used an independent that gave me a clean bill of mental health. I told the truth to the doctor that I was under an insurmountable amount of stress from being bullied into hiding the cheating on the CRCT tests.

The test is NEVER benign.

People should be in prison for what the did to me.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34419 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just what till they mandate the MMPI...

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
t was used against me as a vindictive weapon when I got injured and had a lot of time off for rehab. They sent me for a psych eval at THEIR doctor of choice, I fought it and used an independent that gave me a clean bill of mental health. I told the truth to the doctor that I was under an insurmountable amount of stress from being bullied into hiding the cheating on the CRCT tests.

^^^^^^^^^^
That was smart.

Posts: 17528 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just what till they mandate the MMPI.

^^^^^^^^^
That test is an objective personality test to be used in conjunction with a clinical interview and other tests if needed. It is like mandating an MRI and asking a layman to interpret the findings. I realize it has been used in business settings, but that is not its purpose. What Mars did is a good option if needed.