SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need to cut up an old hot tub shell (fiberglass). What's best to use?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need to cut up an old hot tub shell (fiberglass). What's best to use? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Installed shell as sunroom being built, so no problem getting it inside. All support equipment in garage, shell was carried in by two guys so it's not the weight but now that sunroom built no way to carry it out.

After all plumbing connections are cut and circuit breaker turned off it'll need to be broken up. What tool would be best? Thinking maybe a Sawzall but not sure.

Any recommendations welcomed!

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
We had one removed from a deck and I think the guy used a carbide tipped skill saw mostly.

Posts: 9505 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Most important tool is a respirator. You don't want to breath any of that stuff.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Maybe a sawzall with a demo blade...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Roger, if you need someone to haul the pieces off let me know. I have a buddy that has super reasonable rates for hauling junk.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Wear a respirator, not one of those stupid dust masks. Wear a double filter type.
Also wear some safety goggles.

Posts: 1223 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taken many tubs/showers out. Sawzall will go right through it. As mentioned, don’t forget your PPE.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have cut up quite a few boats for disposal. My favorites tools are a skilsaw and right angle grinder with diamond blades. Small kerf means less dust.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Taken many tubs/showers out. Sawzall will go right through it. As mentioned, don’t forget your PPE.
I demo'd a fiberglass shower two weeks ago . Nothing better than a Sawzall for that kind of work . A GOOD dustmask and eye protection at a minimum . You'll be amazed at how quick it goes .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Sawzall (aka "reciprocating saw"). I've removed and chopped up several fiberglass tub/shower inserts over the years using that.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add, I’d wear a tyvek suit with a hood also. I hate fiberglass cutting…

Posts: 1223 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Or clothes you don't want to wear again.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Roger, if you need someone to haul the pieces off let me know. I have a buddy that has super reasonable rates for hauling junk.

Thanks Jesse, good to know!

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
Forgot to add, I’d wear a tyvek suit with a hood also. I hate fiberglass cutting…

Yep. Full suit, disposable booties, gloves tape everything closed. Respirator toss filters.

I have a terrible reaction to fiberglass dust, even using angle grinder and cutoff wheels on steel and iron, the dust will make me itch for a week. Tried the "baby powder dusting" used duct tape and nearly pulled every hair off my body.

The only thing is to avoid the job, or "gear up MOPP IV".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Was a glass man for one of the leading fiberglass tank Mfg in the US for years and it ain't fun and nothing stops the itching but a day at the lake.
I would use a saws all to cut. If conditions allow a little stream of water might knock the dust down.
If water won't work try a shop vac. What ever dust you can trap will make clean-up a little easier.
You can suit up but whatever you us is only good for one dressing as you'll end up with dust at the wrist, neck and waist.
You will regret using a cutting blade/grinder if that's the rout you have to use.
The sawzall will be the least dusty.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like everyone else is saying a sawzall with a respirator, but for shits and giggles I was playing with my plasma cutter once and it actually worked on a fiber glass basketball hoop backer board. So there’s that too..

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Tannerite? Abandoned gravel pit?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cut fiberglass edges are sharp

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Like everyone else is saying a sawzall with a respirator, but for shits and giggles I was playing with my plasma cutter once and it actually worked on a fiber glass basketball hoop backer board. So there’s that too..

How did you complete the circuit on fiber glass?

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Hire someone else to do it. Cheap at whatever cost.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post