SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can I leave a trickle charger hooked to a car for 2 weeks unattended?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I leave a trickle charger hooked to a car for 2 weeks unattended? Login/Join 
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I used to pull the motorcycle battery in November, and leave it hooked up to a battery tender until early April-ish timeframe. The battery lasted 6 years; twice as long as my truck battery.

I'd agree with everyone else that chimed in on the smart battery tenders.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can I leave a trickle charger hooked to a car for 2 weeks unattended?

Properly done with the proper equipment, yes, of course. Lead acid batteries are left on chargers for years at a time with no ill effects. Swing by one of your local telephone company central offices and check it out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The very first answer to this post (and several others) is the correct answer. You have to know whether your particular charger is self regulating or continuous charge. They are not all the same. If it is self regulating you can leave it hooked up and charging for long periods of time. Otherwise, no. Checking the owner's manual or looking the charger info up on line by the model number would be how you find out if you don't know.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
With a proper charger. One that knows how to ramp down to a maintenance charge when the battery's topped-off.

When we had two boats, 30' sailboat and 18' powerboat, I had three batteries to keep maintained through wintertime. I'd remove them from the boats, top each of them off separately, hook them in parallel and attach the trickle charger to keep them topped-off.

Worked fine.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Probably, but I wouldn't.

Is there really a battery that is so sensitive that it can't take 2wks of sitting?

Yes, older daughter got in trouble and has an intoxalock installed, it drains the battery in a couple of days.

I am mostly worried about fire danger.
Self regulating seems the best way to go.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31426 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
quote:

Is there really a battery that is so sensitive that it can't take 2wks of sitting?

Yes, older daughter got in trouble and has an intoxalock installed, it drains the battery in a couple of days.

I am mostly worried about fire danger.
Self regulating seems the best way to go.

Self-regulating or just disconnect the neg. cable while you're gone and reconnect when you return.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ah. Well, problem. That drain may well muck with the charger's smarts and cause it to cook the battery. Dunno.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
...just disconnect the neg. cable while you're gone and reconnect when you return.

I don't think this will work well on modern vehicles -- those with onboard memories, like the radio/sound system, anti-theft systems, and maybe the engine computers as well. If they die it isn't always something that can just be turned on again, they will require reprogramming.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9162 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, older daughter got in trouble and has an intoxalock installed, it drains the battery in a couple of days...

Is it her car we're talking about? If so, I'd check with the manufacturer of the intoxalock before doing anything.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9162 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
So here's the deal with battery chargers and maintainers. As a preface, batteries do not have a charge level indicator like a gas tank has. There is no "full" level. But the voltage of a battery will change as it charges discharges. For example, a "12 volt" car battery may be at 11.9 volts or 14.4 volts. So chargers and maintainers that are "smart" will monitor the voltage of the battery, and when that voltage reaches the high end of acceptable, it assumes the battery is "full".

Batteries will have some natural discharge rate, even when not hooked up to something. That rate is generally pretty low. When hooked up to something, such as an automobile, the discharge rate will be the natural discharge rate, plus whatever current draw is being used by the vehicle. Either way, there is a certain amount of battery being drained.

Most chargers these days are what people call a "smart charger". They will charge at whatever rate, say 1 amp, 3 amps, 5 amps, 10 amps, etc., until the voltage reaches a certain level. Then they switch to "maintenance mode", and charge at .1 amp (100 milliamps) or something of that nature. These are fine for most applications, as the vehicle has a discharge rate that exceeds that "maintenance mode" level of charging. So eventually the battery will drop below the set voltage level and will kick on, charging at a higher rate until the voltage reaches the higher level, and then it will switch back to maintenance mode.

What you may not realize is that even most "smart chargers" keep charging, although at a lower rate, once they detect that the battery is fully charged. If the battery is small, like a motorcycle or lawn mower battery, even this maintenance level of charge may exceed the discharge rate of the battery, and with enough time it will cook it and ruin it. Especially if it's a small battery and not hooked up to anything with additional draw.

There are a few, but still very few, chargers that are not only "smart", but practically "genius". They're so smart that when the battery reaches a certain voltage, they stop charging altogether, until the voltage drops below a certain level.

Here is a link to one brand of "Genius" battery chargers:

https://no.co/products/charging/multipurpose

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
The manufacturer of the intoxalock recommends a trickle charger when the car s not in use for weeks at a time.

I think I will use a self regulating trickle charge and have in on a timer for 12 hours a day.

Thoughts?

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Honestlou is correct with his statement.

I prefer the Deltran Battery Tender, you can get them at most motorcycle shops, I sell them at a Harley Davidson dealership for about 40 dollars.

I use them on the bikes, the one collector car that is driveable and the lawn tractor.

The timer would be ok. I just plug mine in and let them go. THe battery in my '02 Electra Glide is five years old, the car's battery is a WalMart Johnson Control top of the line and is seven years old.

My JD X Series, when I got it my S-I-L, a Deere trained tech said it would last one season, maybe two if lucky. Bought it March '10, battery lasted until the end of mowing season of '15.

Your results may vary, I have to say that.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8113 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Is this the Deltran you all are posting about?

http://www.autozone.com/test-s...y-charger/756181_0_0

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have one like that and a Battery Tender Plus, for my diesel tractor. The "Plus" has a higher maximum charge rate, I believe.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this the Deltran you all are posting about?

http://www.autozone.com/test-s...y-charger/756181_0_0

No. That's the Deltran Battery Tender Junior. The difference is that it "Automatically switches to float / maintenance voltage after fully charging the battery." The 'maintenance voltage' is not as good as a pure float voltage. I had a boat battery go bad quickly on this model of Deltran, and then learned that it is inferior to the Deltran Battery Tender Plus.

The Deltran Battery Tender Plus is a true smart charger with a pure float voltage stage. It "Automatically switches from full charge to float charging mode." It's a bit more expensive but I've had motorcycle batteries last six years on them.

It may sound like no difference but I won't have the "Junior" model again.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
quote:
Can I leave a trickle charger hooked to a car for 2 weeks unattended?

Properly done with the proper equipment, yes, of course. Lead acid batteries are left on chargers for years at a time with no ill effects. Swing by one of your local telephone company central offices and check it out.

These have a regulator and to my knowledge, the battery tender does not.

The Central Office battery backup has maintenance preformed from time to time.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
The model Deltran Battery Tender I is the Plus; 12V 1.2a.
http://products.batterytender....ry-TenderR-Plus.html

The one you linked, different feature; 12V 750mA
http://products.batterytender....unior-12V-0-75A.html

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3793 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

This.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We have used the Deltran Battery Tender Plus on several "vehicles" for over 10 years. My wife's Sequoia, which gets driven once a month, my Kubota tractor, which gets out once every few months. The chargers are always on, and have the electronics to monitor the charge and adapt the charge. Best thing we ever used.

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
A "battery tender" brand battery maintainer won't hurt anything. I leave a vehicle on one for months at a stretch.

I do as well and would recommend that for lbj.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post