SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a new desk top computer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a new desk top computer Login/Join 
Picture of taco68
posted
For the last several years, I have been getting hand me down desk top computers from work. They are very basic and stripped down, to where they don't even have WORD. Now, I am in the market to buy one myself but am clueless.

I would like to stick with a desk top, because I have a 24 inch TV/monitor in a home office/spare bedroom. I am surfing the internet all of the time. I am not a gamer, I do listen to music a lot of the time while surfing. And, finding out that I need WORD more often. The GF has a laptop that I will use from time to time, but I don't care for them. I would like to keep it under $500 if possible. Looking at scanner, printer, fax, and copier too.(I know this will be additional cost).

So, what do you fine folks think?

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most computers don't come with MS Office standard (could likely have a trial version or find a bundle).
You can install office (word) on any computer, but it will cost $100-200 depending on the version.
Depending on your company, you might be eligible to get office for free (microsoft home use program).

If you just need a word processor, LibreOffice, PolarisOffice and Google Docs are excellent free alternatives to purchasing MS Office. Word is the last thing I'd purchase office for..

If you still want a new machine, it sounds like just about anything will fit your usage, once the right software is added. Dell & HP are probably the 2 biggest names. I'd suspect you can easily find one <$500. What are the hardware specs on your current machine?

If your company is giving you the computer, I'm surprised they didn't remove windows as well as office, usually the license is the same. Either they don't have a volume license for windows & are buying OEM, or your IT guys are doing some shady shit.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I agree about LibreOffice as an excellent work-alike FREE substitute for Microsoft Word.

Try it. It won't cost anything, it's a free download and free to use. If you don't like it, you can always trash it and pay Microsoft for their product.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Dell 3670 desktop has been suitable for my home needs, purchased directly from Dell. I have it connected to a 27 inch monitor.

THIS ONE

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I haven't used a desktop computer in ages.

Most laptops these days have graphics cards capable of driving multiple monitors. I'm typing on one now -- I have the laptop screen on my right and a large screen next to it on the left.

It's a Lenovo W540. Ancient, by today's standards

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
my professional opinion: Get one with an SSD and not an HDD and know the difference.

Other factors such as amount of memory depends on what you're doing with it, but 8GB as a min.

I'm assuming the TV/Monitor has an HDMI input and the computer you buy will have an HDMI output. If these differ then that may or may not be a problem, ranging from "you need an adapter" to "it just ain't gonna work"

You may not even need windows. Ubuntu is free and has become easier to use, at least I think so.

For printer, it depends on how much you print. If you print a lot of pages, the selection is different than if you only print, say, 10 pages per month.

Another professional opinion: CPU fans can get noisy. Get one that's quiet even under full load in a warm room. The newer ones are better than the older ones in this regard.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to use a desktop but also keep a clean area and not take up a spot on the desk or floor I recommend a micro - I have been using them on some of the wall mounted TV's at some of our locations for items like security camera and door access monitoring, presentations and recently setup someone who likes a very minimalist setup but is a pretty good power user and still very happy with their micro mounted under desk running two panels on a stand. You can also mount directly behind a panel and keep a clean desk

The micros are also very quiet and do not put out near the heat of larger units - a huge benefit

Dell Micro is just one option. HP and Lenovo also make them in various configurations.

ETA - if you don't need as much local hard drive storage space go with 256GB SSD, but definitely keep RAM at 8GB minimum - also if you do the MS Office 365 - you can buy family version that allows for 6 members and each includes 1TB of one drive space - we use it persoanlly and as well at work - love it - they can access files anywhere including on mobile devices - my iphone syncs with one drive for photos as well for work

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
my professional opinion: Get one with an SSD and not an HDD and know the difference.

Another Professional opinion: you do not have to have a SSD vs HDD.
Intel Optane configuration can give very good results to SSD ~ especially SATA SSD.
Originally designed by Intel to have larger less expensive HDD's at SSD performance levels.
Optane is a non volitle memory module that is close to the CPU and caches frequently accessed data and allows HDD spinners to prettly much the same speed as a standalone SSD (SATA).
That being said unless you need a ton of frequently accessed drive space this technology is almost obsolete now days with the cost of solid state drives now days.
Addtionally, the REAL performance today is with NVMe M2 SSD drives.
Old SATA SSD drives while better than HDD (spinners) for FAD (frequently accessed data -like OS) are almost obsolete today when you need performamce.
Drives for storage and occasional data any drive generally works fine.
I only sell and build with Intel, FWIW.

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy my computers on the Dell Outlet site. Often computers on the site have been previously configured by people who ordered them then bailed on the deal. There are some good buys on there but you need to act fast as the deals go fast.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
taco68 ,
do yourself a favour - download a copy of Mx Linux ( FREE )off the interweb , burn it to a disc , load it onto your OLD desktop and voila , speed and ease / has Libre Office and every other basic thing you will need already installed . No viruses - no bloody " updates " that stop you from working - thousands of FREE programs that work . Did I mention ALL FREE . Very easy , my old mate runs it at 93 years of age . Best part , not 100% SPYWARE like Microsoft Windows .
best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post