This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3790049644

September 12, 2018, 03:30 PM
Ronin1069
National Solar Observatory evacuated by FBI, no one knows why
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Have they blamed Trump yet?

Fastest way to get a thread shut down on Sig Forum? Post an ad in classifieds that is posted somewhere else.

Second fastest? Insert politics into a non-political thread.

Just sayin'

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
September 12, 2018, 03:33 PM
RHINOWSO

September 12, 2018, 09:13 PM
jbcummings
I found this article. I’m not sure it explains much, but it’s an interesting theory.

quote:
UPDATE 9/12/18 4PM PST The issue may be related to Mercury (the metal, not the planet). On a tip from a science journalist friend who covers telescopes and who has been there, I verified the observatory uses a vat of liquid mercury as a float bearing for the giant solar telescope. According to an internal NSO/NMSU document, that bearing is “high-risk” during maintenance. If there was a major mercury spill, it might explain why the Feds are there, with FBI providing security. The amount of Mercury is said to be in the “tens of gallons” range, which is next to impossible to come by in the commercial market these days, and if it were weaponized, it would make a very nasty dirty bomb. Perhaps there’s some security issue with the mercury on-site.

And to think, I used to play with that stuff as a kid. Maybe that’s the reason I have...never mind.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.
September 12, 2018, 10:11 PM
sigmonkey
That is a very fluid cover story.
And could be shaped to fit nearly anything that rolls up against it.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
September 12, 2018, 10:12 PM
cslinger
You sir have quite the silver tongue.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
September 12, 2018, 10:18 PM
flashguy
Rotating pools of mercury have been used in the past to form parabolic mirrors for telescopes. Other mirrors direct the light into and out of the primary mirror, which must be horizontal.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
September 12, 2018, 10:27 PM
Ripley
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Rotating pools of mercury have been used in the past to form parabolic mirrors for telescopes. Other mirrors direct the light into and out of the primary mirror, which must be horizontal.

flashguy

Rotating creates a given curve in mercury or there are other elements, er factors involved?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
September 12, 2018, 10:27 PM
cslinger
I never realized mercury was used in this way. Learn something new every day.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
September 13, 2018, 11:39 AM
Doc H.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"
September 13, 2018, 01:17 PM
flashguy
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Rotating creates a given curve in mercury or there are other elements, er factors involved?
The centrifugal forces of rotation create a shallow parabolic surface in the mercury.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
September 13, 2018, 01:57 PM
parabellum
If the FBI is involved, you can bet your bottom dollar that it's nothing but bullshit.
September 13, 2018, 02:32 PM
ersatzknarf
our tax dollars at work Roll Eyes

September 13, 2018, 06:58 PM
Rick Lee
You know, the Terra Cotta Army in Xi'an was discovered in 1974 and they still haven't tried to open up the Emperor's nearby tomb because it's been documented from 2700 years ago to have a complete moat of mercury inside of it. They think it could still be there and don't believe they have the technology to get into the tomb without causing damage to it and the surrounding area. I toured a mock up of what they think is in there once and that would be a LOT of mercury.
September 13, 2018, 10:45 PM
VBVAGUY
I just wanted to add this to the tin foil hat theory Smile God Bless Smile

https://www.disclose.tv/massiv...-near-the-sun-346338

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."
September 13, 2018, 10:53 PM
RichardC
You weak-minded conspiracy theorists are as mad as hatters.

September 13, 2018, 11:08 PM
bushpilot
That disc seen in front of the Sun is Mercury in it's orbit around the Sun.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln
September 13, 2018, 11:19 PM
Doc H.
Swamp gas reflecting off of Venus....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"
September 14, 2018, 04:12 AM
ersatzknarf
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
You weak-minded conspiracy theorists are as mad as hatters.

Saw what you did there Wink

September 14, 2018, 05:20 AM
r0gue
It is rather curious, and I would love to know the actual reason.

September 14, 2018, 07:34 AM
Ronin1069
I need to stay off the internet. This kinda shit keeps me up at night.

https://www.express.co.uk/news...-flare-new-mexico-NM

SUPER solar flare to WIPE OUT humanity, theorists fear after solar observatory shut down

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ