SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chanukah Greetings From אַרְיֵה
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chanukah Greetings From אַרְיֵה Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
אַרְיֵה is my Hebrew name. Pronounced "Aryeh." Meaning is lion. My mother used to call me by the Yiddish equivalent -- "Label."

May you have a wonderful holiday, whatever your religion (or lack thereof -- I don't want to exclude anyone).

Chanukah begins at sundown today, 24 Kislev 5779 (December 2, 2018).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31422 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Thank you, and my wishes for you to have a truly glorious Chanukah!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
אַרְיֵה is my Hebrew name. Pronounced "Aryeh." Meaning is lion. My mother used to call me by the Yiddish equivalent -- "Label."

May you have a wonderful holiday, whatever your religion (or lack thereof -- I don't want to exclude anyone).

Chanukah begins at sundown today, 24 Kislev 5779 (December 2, 2018).

My Hebrew name is Elan [tree], and my family and I wish the same to you and yours, and to all here on this forum.

Posts: 11441 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
My Hebrew name is Aaron. Happy Chanukah!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
חג חנוכה שמח!

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I don't have a Hebrew name, but I wish you all a happy Chanukah just the same! Smile

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29907 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
Baptist here. Happy Chanukah to all!

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Happy Hanukkah! Just here stinking up my kitchen with latkes.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Chag Chanukah Sameach – חג חנוכה שמח

Posts: 8697 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Chag sameach, y'all!

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Chag sameach, y'all!

Bruce

So, I would guess that your are from one of those southern tribes. Smile

Happy Chanukah!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
Happy Hanukkah! Just here stinking up my kitchen with latkes.
Some time in the past, Jeff Yarchin expressed horror that I was using a packaged mix and he posted his recipe here.

I have lost track of it. Would you mind posting yours?

My grandmother, although literate in Polish, Russian, and Yiddish, did not read or write English, so I don’t have her recipe.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31422 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Happy Hanukkah everyone. Looking forward to some potato pancakes and brisket next weekend when we do our family thing.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21122 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Happy Chanukah errybody.

Posts: 27178 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Happy Chanukah errybody.
You've been into the wine already, haven't you?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Happy Chanukah everyone from Baruch (blessed), son of Yacov!!

Posts: 3584 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is גדעון (Gidon). Happy Hanukkah everyone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batty67,

Posts: 3552 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I don't have a Hebrew name, Smile

Ditto, while wishing y’all a blessed Chanukah season.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Happy Chanukah from יוֹחָנָן (Yochanan)

Posts: 5346 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My name in Hebrew is still Michael...they just say it different.

My dads father was Jewish, he married a Catholic, she got excommunicated until he died...I don't remember him and I was reared a Methodist...

Don't know what it all means to you and yours, but here's to a happy Chanukah to you.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11468 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post