SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a dash cam ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a dash cam ? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Lots of options out there, here’s some specifics the matter to me.

This is a leased vehicle so I do not want to replace the mirror.

I am not concerned about night vision.

I am not concerned about backup camera, my car has that.

I am not interested in having a camera that records what is happening inside the vehicle.

I am most interested in the forward facing camera and ease of viewing video.

ETA - because this is a leased vehicle, I do not need/want something that has to be hardwired.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Budget? I have several, mine is a dual camera setup. I have two of these Apeman's in the wife and daughters car. They work, record when they are supposed to and the mount it comes with is better than most cheaper ones

https://apemans.com/collection...peman-dash-cam-c450a

I bought them on Amazon a while back but they don't show there anymore, paid more too

Posts: 5325 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If the vehicle does not have built-in navigation system, I recommend the Garmin Drive-Assist 50 LMT or 51 LMT. These are combination GPS / navigation systems with traffic data, and dash cameras.

My wife and I each have one. No problems with them, have had them for several years.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30682 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I have a BlackVue 750 lte dual cam. It records front and rear. I’m very happy with it. Surprising how many incidents get recorded.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29704 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
This is a good website to look at:

https://dashcameras.net/best-dash-cams/

Posts: 3726 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I used a GoPro for a while.
BlackVue always seems to be well regarded. Haven't bothered to look recently since removing the GP mount from my truck when I sold it (the truck).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have the Garmin DriveAssist 51.

In fact I have one in each vehicle.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34122 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have had the Garmin Dash Cam 55 for a couple of years. I am very happy and have saved clips from it from time to time.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4226 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I've used about half a dozen over as many years, but the only one I haven't replaced (and have actually been using for at least 2+ years now with no complaints at all) is the Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO.

I'm sure they have new and improved models by now, but for the price, form factor, ease of use, and reliability, I'm very happy.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Rob:

That looks like a great unit, one of the challenges I am running into is finding something that does not have to be hardwired in. I have a company car and it gets switched out every 2 years or so.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
This is a good website to look at:

https://dashcameras.net/best-dash-cams/
^^^ THIS ^^^

Or https://dashcamtalk.com/

Much better than someone like me who buys one every 2 or 3 years and is writing about something with limited frame of reference. The guys on these review sites have 4, 5, or 6 dash cams running at once (ie great comparisons) and eat, sleep, and breath this stuff. Both of my dash cams were their recommendations at the time, and when I replace my truck I’ll buy a new dash cam based on their recommendations.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Rob:

That looks like a great unit, one of the challenges I am running into is finding something that does not have to be hardwired in. I have a company car and it gets switched out every 2 years or so.

FWIW, I ran it on my cigarette lighter for about a year before I had it professionally wired. If you don't mind the wire hanging wherever, it functioned just as well that way, and the power input is micro-USB, so you could always source your own extra long cable and tuck it wherever. Nothing proprietary about it.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Dependent upon your vehicle you may have a mirror power adapter that is plug and play available.
https://dongar.tech/

Dad got me a Rove for Christmas as that is what he has been using for sometime and is very happy with it. Not had a chance to put it in the car yet but just fiddled around the house with it.
Seems like a solid product and my Dad does lots of research before purchases.
https://www.rovedashcam.com/pr...ve-r2-4k-car-dashcam

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25427 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I have the Donger rear view power adapter and a Vantrue cam. Super clean install with no wires showing and it can easily be removed.

JC

Posts: 1271 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M'headSig:
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Rob:

FWIW, I ran it on my cigarette lighter for about a year before I had it professionally wired. If you don't mind the wire hanging wherever, it functioned just as well that way, and the power input is micro-USB, so you could always source your own extra long cable and tuck it wherever. Nothing proprietary about it.

-Rob

I mounted my ROVE low on my windshield, in the middle, behind the infotainment screen. I've got a Mazda CX-5 and the infotainment screen rises up from the dash, like in an Audi. The screen hides the dash cam pretty much from my view and the dash cam's lens picks up a full road view just fine. The power cord is coiled up on the dash behind the infotainment screen and then just drapes down a few inches to plug into my front power socket ahead of the console shifter. It's another way to do it if you don't want to hardwire, don't want a wire dangling, and, like me, are concerned about tucking wires into the car's A-pillars, which in my case, house side curtain airbags.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
The Dongar power adaptor that Black posted is great and can be used with most dashcams these days. I have one of the adaptors in both my truck and my wife's car, as does my father. We all have some variation of the Garmin series and love them. Super easy to use, excellent video quality, and the app makes it a cinch to download and forward any videos/pics that you want to export without having to take out the memory card. I'm sold on the Garmin units anymore.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Bought mine from blackboxmycar.com

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Budget? I have several, mine is a dual camera setup. I have two of these Apeman's in the wife and daughters car. They work, record when they are supposed to and the mount it comes with is better than most cheaper ones

https://apemans.com/collection...peman-dash-cam-c450a

I bought them on Amazon a while back but they don't show there anymore, paid more too

Disregard, I found the info I was looking for.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4136 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post