SIGforum
Happy Birthday John Moses Browning

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3780090894

January 23, 2023, 07:35 AM
Johnny 3eagles
I will celebrate his birthday today, January 23, 1855 by taking my 1911 pistols to the range and lighting off some .45 acp candles.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
January 23, 2023, 07:39 AM
Blue Dog
We share the same Birthday. Same day different year
January 23, 2023, 09:33 AM
V-Tail
quote:
I forgot to send him a card. Frown

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
January 23, 2023, 09:50 AM
Fly-Sig
The Browning museum in Ogden Utah is worth seeing if you're in the area. One large room with display cases and a WWII area, plus a workshop full of his tools. And one or two enthusiastic volunteers. Takes about an hour.

While there see the railroad museum in the same building, and drive the 7 minutes to the free but very excellent Hill AFB aviation museum.
January 23, 2023, 01:23 PM
chellim1
Happy Birthday!

Also on this day...

Frat-house frolics became a national obsession when Wham-O Manufacturing Co. of California began producing the Pluto Platter — soon renamed the Frisbee — on this day in history, Jan. 23, 1957. “The Frisbee started off as nothing more than a container that carried pies,” reported University of Southern California online engineering publication Illumin Magazine, which analyzed the physics and history of the toy. “However, through the ingenuity of some college students, the inventiveness of Fred Morrison, and the marketing savvy of the Wham-O Manufacturing Company, it eventually became an immensely popular and internationally recognized toy.”

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor
January 23, 2023, 01:45 PM
sjtill
Let's see: I don't have a 1911; here's what I do have:

1. BHP, he gets partial credit for that.
2. Baby Browning, but it's a safe queen.
3. 1894 Winchester, but Bruce Gray still has it
4. Winchester Model 62 .22 pump "gallery gun"; Winchester bought the rights from JMB for that one.
5. I inherited a civilian BAR .308 rifle. I understand that was designed by Bruce Browning.
6. Colt Woodsman Series 2. Another JMB design.

So even without a 1911, I have 5 JMB designed firearms.

Happy Birthday John Moses! Thank you for all you did!

January 23, 2023, 02:00 PM
Johnny 3eagles

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
January 23, 2023, 03:37 PM
VictimNoMore
I have my Colt 1911 on my hip today, in honor.
January 23, 2023, 09:29 PM
abnmacv
1911 is a tool that gives me comfort.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member
January 23, 2023, 10:39 PM
YellowJacket
Happy birthday Mr. Browning. The world thanks you and I specifically thank you for the Auto 5.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
January 24, 2023, 12:23 PM
pulicords
It should be a National Holiday.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."
January 24, 2023, 09:38 PM
400m
That genius had a lot of patents. Winchester used to buy all they could just to keep them out of competitors hands.
Happy birthday to one of the greatest firearms designers ever!