SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Post Consumer economy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post Consumer economy Login/Join 
posted
Since no one wants to work even for inflated wages, have we come to a point where compulsory buying is no longer fashionable. Why work if there is nothing to buy and no where to go?
What is everyone just says enough stuff and lives forever off their parents ?
Still, around here, it seems as if people have plenty of disposable income for toys.

Posts: 1408 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Not sure the really have that disposable income. Kid down the road is unemployed and just bought a new ATV. I asked him about it and he said, they gave me the loan, so I got it. Roll Eyes

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6494 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Agreed 95flhr -- I know a guy nearing retirement, and he just bought a $90k truck. Last summer he mentioned his house is almost paid off. Just a couple more years. I have another friend who literally cannot imagine why someone wouldn't have a car payment. I'm certain that both of these families use plastic as a means of access to goods they cannot afford with cash.

I don't think disposable income is the issue.

Posts: 11399 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
They all have the newest phone, nice cars, tattoos, etc but they don’t have a penny to their names. I’ve got one of the oldest vehicles at work, use phones until they’re not supported anymore, you get it. My 401k is well funded, IRA maxed each year and all that jazz. All I ever hear is how I should get this or that. Guess who’s got a good life and who is always stressing about money?

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Totally agree, Leemur. My wife and I were very conservative financially the first 20 years of our married life. We bought older used cars. We bought nice houses where we enjoyed good appreciation. As we got older and made more money, we got our home paid for, our vehicles became newer, our 401K accounts grew and our 2 kids graduated from college debt free.

All it took was a decent work ethic and a plan. Now, post-retirement, we've got new phones, nice cars but no tattoos along with a few nickels to rub together.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know all about it. Got a nephew I disowned that "couldn't come up with the $900.00 for his house payment" so the house got foreclosed on and he now rents. Had plenty of money for tattoos for him and is wife and cars for him, his wife, and both kids, though.

And for some reason he doesn't seem to have a problem coming up with $2,000/mo for rent.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Yeah, I know all about it. Got a nephew I disowned that "couldn't come up with the $900.00 for his house payment" so the house got foreclosed on and he now rents. Had plenty of money for tattoos for him and is wife and cars for him, his wife, and both kids, though.

And for some reason he doesn't seem to have a problem coming up with $2,000/mo for rent.

You're assuming he is actually paying his rent.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Same here.

Most that I work with have a sweet ride and have a good time.

My trucks are old enough to not have to hold the brake to shift them out of park. Guess who doesn't have to work overtime.

Wink

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cabellocabeza
posted Hide Post
I find myself shocked at how much debt people are willing to carry these days. Talking to one of my cousins, he said that interest rates were so low it was a good time to buy. He didn't really consider that he would be servicing the debt for years. He simply assumes that it is normal to have payments every month for the things he has.

I think in the next few years, this general dependency on debt as a way to sustain your lifestyle, will cause a deep economic downturn.

I avoid debt but still have nice things. A used Lexus, a nice home that is paid for. I always pay cash.

Posts: 40 | Registered: July 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
My old man described that lifestyle as, "Chicken shack and a Cadillac."

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cash still is KING. (meaning a strong cash position - not necessarily buying everything with cash)

So many Americans have confused good debt with DEBT. Anything that depreciates and incurs interest is BAD debt.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post