SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rifle storage rack suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle storage rack suggestions Login/Join 
posted
I seem to be finding myself with a lot more free time on my hands than I would normally have, thanks in part to inflation, higher fuel prices and the lack of raw materials incoming to my employer.

SO... I am looking to make a standing storage rack for long guns. Something simple, most likely from plywood or such. Enough to store maybe 10-20 rifles standing up, and will fit in my closet. Approximately 5 feet wide by 24 inches deep. I am considering 2 rows, either staggered or one front facing and one back. My safe is currently full of pistols and I am not in a position to drop another 2-3K or store another safe.
Can anybody point me in the direction of plans or give a simple suggestion as to design. I am NOT a woodworker, but I think this is simple enough I can manage it.

Will store mostly .22 rifles, lever guns and shotguns with 28 plus inch barrels. Evil black guns go in the current safe.
Oh, I am currently using something like this

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2746 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
A simple solution would be just a plain shelf and then use rifle rods with it (underneath).

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16524 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Not to rain on your parade, but I took the molded rifle rack stuff out of my safe and use rifle rods now.

With the regular install I had to arrange the guns they way they wanted. With the rods, I can put the ones I don’t shoot that much in the back and what not.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted to build something like this

Link

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am currently using the closet for clothes, so I can't exactly add a shelf. I have about 3 feet empty at the bottom.

I will look into the rifle rods, but I really just need another, bigger safe.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2746 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post