SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yahoo News reports "millions of rounds of ammunition stolen."
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yahoo News reports "millions of rounds of ammunition stolen." Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Link

Yes, I know... it's Yahoo News. There are some interesting statements in the article, though, including "These will be of no use to them, given that they don't use these weapons."

The article:

quote:
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Two trailer loads of small-caliber ammunition bound for the United States were stolen by armed assailants on a highway in Mexico’s most violent state, Guanajuato, the manufacturer said Friday.

A company representative said about 98.5% of the millions of rounds of ammo stolen earlier this week were .22 caliber, which is seldom used by Mexican drug cartels.

“These will be of no use to them, given that they don’t use these weapons,” said security analyst Juan Ibarrola, who also acts as spokesman for the Tecnos Industries company

The .22 rounds are used mainly in rifles for target practice or extremely small game. Mexican cartels prefer larger, high-velocity ammunition for AK-47 and AR-15 rifles or 9 mm weapons.

The total quantity was not clear, but was estimated to be about 7 million rounds. The ammunition is sold in the United States under the Aguila brand.

Though low-powered, .22 ammunition can be lethal depending on where a person is hit, and from what range.

Mexico has also occasionally caught people selling improvised “pen” guns, single-shot devices disguised as pens that use .22 rounds.

The ammunition is made in Cuernavaca, a city just south of the capital, and was being taken north on trucks to the United States when the shipment was hijacked, The drivers were later found alive.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, not a lot of specifics in that article (not surprisingly). Was this really .22 rimfire ammunition which the author seems to imply? After all, the AR also shoots a .22 caliber round. I don't expect the average reporter to know this however.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
“Of no use to them” rrrrrrrrrrright Roll Eyes

The American corporate media is criminally insane.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
A number of news agencies are running w the report.

The original source appears to be Associated Press.

Posts: 19577 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
So that’s where my order went!!!

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://regeneracion.mx/fgr-in...balas-en-guanajuato/

The vehicles carried the following war material:

4 million 872 thousand high speed .22 caliber Long Rifle (LR) cartridges.

1 million 230 thousand cartridges .22 caliber LR high speed PH

295 thousand .40 caliber S&W cartridges

215 thousand cartridges caliber .22 LR super hummingbird

117 thousand .45 caliber automatic cartridges

100 thousand cartridges .38 caliber special jacketed

99 thousand M 7 1/2 high speed .410 caliber cartridges

87 thousand cartridges caliber 7.62 × 51 mm 150 GN

71 mil 500 caliber .12 minishell post "mil" here appears to mean "thousand"

25 thousand cartridges caliber .38 super auto + P

3 thousand caliber 12 minishell slug cartridges

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yeah, of no use to them. Roll Eyes

2% of 7 million is still a lot of rounds.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The American propagandist media is the enemy of the people. Everything they do is designed to deceive and make Americans hate their fellow Americans. If this country rips itself apart the blame will primarily fall on the despicable, disgusting and dishonest corporate media.

The closer you are to a story the more you will realize they have no interest at all in reporting facts. It’s all opinion and crap meant to make you feel and think a certain way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Looks like illegal immigrants won’t be the only thing crossing the border.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Excellent Karma - I'm in !

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4579 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Maybe the cartels can"t use them in their weapons but they could surely get them across the border and re-sell them to some of those that would be so inclined to re-sell for a good profit above the going price to those that are hoarding and hoping to re-sell at a later date. ............................................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2008 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
That’s a lot of plinking.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Don’t worry guys they only got something like 797,000 rounds they might actually find useful. That’s only about a good weekends worth of shooting. Thank goodness for accurate and honest reporting. Roll Eyes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
The American propagandist media is the enemy of the people. Everything they do is designed to deceive and make Americans hate their fellow Americans. If this country rips itself apart the blame will primarily fall on the despicable, disgusting and dishonest corporate media.

The closer you are to a story the more you will realize they have no interest at all in reporting facts. It’s all opinion and crap meant to make you feel and think a certain way.

Spot On.

We are in a cold civil war, the enemy is active in their deceit and overt non-violent attacks on the members of the country they disagree with. Their platforms are growing, social media, television media, news media, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
This cracked me up lol...

quote:
The vehicles carried the following war material:

4 million 872 thousand high speed .22 caliber Long Rifle (LR) cartridges.

...and they can drop these off at my house Smile

quote:
25 thousand cartridges caliber .38 super auto + P

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Just a weekend's worth of .22lr.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
In my heyday of shooting I was burning through about 550-1100 rounds of 22lr every week. Man I miss those prices from the early 2000’s.

Those guys are set up for years of plinking. Bastards

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
A few years back, I bought my wife a 1981 Sears catalog. Just to flip through and remember old times.

Just opened it up to see if it had 22 LR

$14.90 for a brick

Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my heyday of shooting I was burning through about 550-1100 rounds of 22lr every week. Man I miss those prices from the early 2000’s.

Those guys are set up for years of plinking. Bastards

I often shot a brick per day back when I my efforts were going toward qualifying for the 76 Olympics FP. All Green Box Remington SV or surplus white box in those days

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm starting to like Stickman's posts. He's realize some truths about the media. Long ago we lived in an apartment. About a block west of where we live now. Out on the balcony my son and I were watching upriver where a bunch of wreckers and fire trucks were messing around in the river. So we walked down to watch up close. They were pulling cars out of the water. Kind of interesting. So the next day's paper had a big article, made out of thin air. Not many facts, mostly guesses I think. (that ramp is still there). Its when I first realized that any story you have personal knowledge of is reported as garbage by the media. Bears little or no relationship to reality.

I fear for our bill of rights. The media plays their amendment as being close to the bible and ours as being garbage. They feel protected (kind of like we do), but treat us as holding on by a thread. I think they're too stupid to realize that their right to lie out their asses may come to an end, too. If they had any sense at all (which they don't), they'd be on the bandwagon touting our rights as well as theirs.

Other issues...I'm starting to like Stickman's posts. He's showing a lot of common sense these days. If he keeps at it for a while, he'll become as grumpy as I am.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post