SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This "Binge watching " buisness
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This "Binge watching " buisness Login/Join 
posted
Maybe I am not wired right for todays society,
but, I don't have what it takes to binge watch ,

which seems to be all the rage today .

I grew up waiting at least 24 hours to see the same show and sometimes we waited a week . Eek

two shows ,back to back is about all I can take,
but they have to be much better than average shows,
like nurse jackie, justified or shameless or dexter.

anyone else like this ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
We generally view about like you describe. But, if weather should rear it's head: cold and/or rainy, or just damn hot, a binge may well be in the offing. Especially if we are flush with groceries. Smile

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If there is a great show on (on Netflix) it would be easy to binge watch.
I won't because I like to enjoy it over a longer period.
So I will limit it to no more than two.
Otherwise the show(s) are over and so is the fun.
I may go to three if there are a LOT of shows to catch up on but that is my limit.

Posts: 23195 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'll generally start out trying to watch one episode per week but if the series is really good, I end up watching several episodes in a sitting.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18092 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
My only source of video entertainment is Netflix and Amazon Prime. I do not and will not do pay-per-view.

Therefore the menu of shows that fit my tastes are fairly limited.

As a result, my usual practice is one episode of each show per week.

There are a few exceptions to that rule:

1. If it's a show that has multiple seasons available, I might watch 2-3 episodes a week.

2. If an episode ends in a particularly nail-biting cliff-hanger, I might watch the next episode back-to-back.

3. If I'm sick, bored out of my skull or the weather is just too shitty to do anything else, see exception #2.

Conversely, if I'm involved in something else that holds my interest (like building my diorama) I might go several nights without turning the TV on at all.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15491 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
The last time was when I killed off Breaking Bad in a long holiday weekend. Did it with The Wire and Deadwood. Mostly don't do that, though. If they ever put Justified on Netflix all bets are off.,

Posts: 1966 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

I grew up waiting at least 24 hours to see the same show and sometimes we waited a week

And then it turns out to be a re-run or gets replaced by a baseball game! I hated when that happened.

Posts: 3247 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
If there is a great show on (on Netflix) it would be easy to binge watch.
I won't because I like to enjoy it over a longer period.
So I will limit it to no more than two.

That's usually what we do, too. But occasionally we've really gotten hooked on a story line and watched as many as five episodes, one-after-the-other.

Even if we really like a series we'll "take a break" and watch something else--something from another series, a sitcom episode, a movie.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
If they ever put Justified on Netflix all bets are off.,

You missed it. I re-watched seasons 1-5 before they took it off Prime and put it back on pay-per-view. Dicks.

I called up and pitched a fit because I was one show short of finishing the 5th season when they pulled it. They gave me that last show free, but season 6 is pay only. Not gonna happen.

Edit: Oops, sorry. Just realized you were talking Netflix and I was talking Amazon Prime.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15491 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to watch 24 hours straight of Twilight Zone because they ran it that long right around New Years. But like you said, it's gotta be a really good show.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Wife and I binge all the time. We find/start a series and do several episodes a night, especially on nights before her days off work. We do throw in some movies to break it up. Several I finish on my own if it gets to nasty for her, she doesn't like a lot of gratuitous violence of crude cussing. And a couple we have dumped part way through.

To list a few...
Longmire
Justified
Where lies the heart
Heartland
Green arrow
Heart of dixie
Corner Gas
The ranch
Person of interest
The punisher
Hell on wheels
Deadwood

Just finished "Blacklist" tonight ~132 episodes, 6 seasons, in ~4 weeks.
Season seven not on Netflix yet...

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Wife and I are lucky to get to watch 2 episodes a week.

We have been watching Messiah for over a month now and watched Episode 7 lastnight.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Some shows watch better that way, you can get more emotionally invested in the story without the long breaks. Other do not.

I've mentioned before about a friend complaining of a plot developement in a show and reminding him what he saw in a weekend took three years to develop when the show aired. That was one case where binge watching hurt the show.

Posts: 21345 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only way I can do it is if the weather is terrible and I get sucked into a great series.
I did it just the other day but the title has a dirty word in it so I won’t add. Total of 3 episodes so not too bad.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
Watched a whole season of 24 once. Boy, that was dizzying.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I don't like to binge watch shows. I prefer to watch an episode, and then ruminate on it for a day or week. I have been forced into binging shows in the past, and that's usually because I pick up a show late in its run, and I have to catch up before the newest or final season premieres and spoilers ensue via coworkers, friends, and the internet. Mad Men, Downton Abbey, and Game of Thrones were all ones I was forced into binging. It always feels like I don't have time to appreciate the details and nuances when I binge, and I tend to feel overstuffed and groggy, as binging has the tendency to do.

My first encounter with people binge watching was back in 2001 with HBO's Six Feet Under. I would watch an episode and wait a week like everyone else. I would also record it on VHS. When I had a tape completed, I would lend it to friends. Most of them would hand it back to me within 2 days. I would exclaim, "That was an 8-hour tape!" They would say something like, "I stayed up to 4 in the morning last night! Do you have the next tape?" I'd answer, "It took me two whole months to compile that one tape!"

Nowadays, I think everyone expects their TV show season to arrive in one complete lump.

Posts: 5605 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ergoproxy:
Watched a whole season of 24 once. Boy, that was dizzying.
I would need a nap after that. Such an intense series.

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
No way for me too. I’ve got a career and bills and shit. Between work, the gym, k9 work, running a household, don’t have time or even want to sit on my ass for hours on end.

I’m personally sick of series. There are too many on too many platforms so I stick to my films.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12932 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm with you. First, there's rarely a series I'm interested in. I'm more of a movies guy. But when there is one to watch, two or three episodes at the time is my limit.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
depends on the show entirely for me too. Justified, Fringe, Witcher to name a few. we've "marathoned" those, but it's mostly been more like one or two, maybe three episodes a night til we're done. unless I'm home sick or stuck in bed for some reason, I've not got much in the way of time to sit around and watch through more than that.

Posts: 7547 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post