SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Marine with who received a transplant of another man's arms (and that is not clickbait)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Marine with who received a transplant of another man's arms (and that is not clickbait) Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
John Peck, a young Marine in Afghanistan, lost both arms and legs to an IED.

After years of recovery he was given the opportunity to have another man's arms transplanted to his remaining arms.

Sixteen hours of complex transplant surgery and he has them attached.

Watch this video. I know it is long, almost an hour, but it is a testament to a young man who damned near gave all for his country, then went through the Hell of recovery, twice.

As members here may recall in 2018 I was in a physical rehab myself, for a mere four months. I'm facing another period of rehab, and until I watched this video, I wasn't sure I have a second one in me. He was in it for years, twice. I feel like a wimp in comparison.

Semper Fi, Marine. You exemplify the word "courageous" and are a lesson to us all.

I want anyone who can use them to have my body parts once I've snuffled off this mortal coil. Maybe someone will get my arms. In addition to my corneas, heart (not sure they'll take that given what's going on now), kidneys, liver, lungs, skin, testicles, and anything else they can make use of.

I do, however, have the perfect nickname for Mr. Peck - Bill, the Galactic Hero.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Wow. When I see stories like this, it makes me feel guilty for getting a veterans discount at Lowes. So many have given so much, and I have given relatively nothing.

This young man is an inspiration. "My disability doesn't make me a hero. I just means I'm good at finding IEDs in the worst possible way." I disagree. Persevering through his adversity and not loosing hope makes him a hero.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One tough dude!

Yeah, I know we complain about "millennials" and their attitude and work ethic. But it's men like this that give me a ton of hope for their generation.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post