SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Non Compaction cardioMyopathy (NCM)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non Compaction cardioMyopathy (NCM) Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
So, I just (yesterday) got released from the hospital after an 11 day stay in ICU-stepdown (between a regular room and full Intensive Care). After suffering bizarre symptoms on&off for some 8 weeks, I was rushed to the emergency room, and initially admitted to a regular room, but was quickly transferred to ICU-sd with a diagnosis of Congestive Heart Failure (CHF). No previous history of heart problems.

After many tests over several days, it was an MRI that finally revealed the cause- a rare, probably hereditary condition known as Non Compaction cardioMyopathy (NCM). Basically this is a thinning and weakening of the heart muscle walls to the point where bloodflow drops to dangerous levels. I would get winded picking up a pair of socks off the floor.

My symptoms are mostly normalized now and am today starting my rehab at my parents’ house. Oh, did I mention that there was also a clot in my left ventricle that could have broken off at any time? (Luckily it was completely dissolved by the time I left.)

So, really just wondering if any of you have heard of NCM, and have information to share? How long for rehab?

(I might also add that for the previous year my health had been on the upswing and I was working out 5x a week. So as I said in the other thread, FU 2020!)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16957 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope it’s reversible so you can get back on your feet soon.

Posts: 889 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you recovered and hope that your rehab goes well. 2020 does suck.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I actually am back on my feet, just not very steady yet!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16957 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think we have a heart doc on board. Hopefully he chimes in.

Posts: 4010 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have CHF. Docs discovered it last Nov. tests show I have a 15% ejection fraction. I never had an inkling anything was amiss. No symptoms.

I wore a heart monitor for a month or so & then the cardio docs had me wear a life vest (external defibrillator) from Jan thru Apr.) the docs have labeled me as having “sudden Cardiac Death syndrome” I take Rampril 2.5 mg Daily & carvedilol 3.125 mg (twice a day). No rehab has been suggested, just told me to enjoy life & keep active...I’ve got enough chores to keep busy & I walk a couple blocks a day.

I got winded, sweaty & dizzy once or twice & had to rest. I thought I was gonna go out “ala Fred Sanford, I’m comin’ to see ya Elizabeth, it,’s the big one!” But both episodes passed & left me still above ground. I don’t know what else to say as I’m new to this also. Well, I take that back. I don’t know the Bible well but I know somewhere in there it’s written. “No man knows the hour.”

I look at life a bit different and look forward to my next adventure. Keep on truckin’ my friend.

Posts: 5775 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I also have CHF. A year ago my echo indicated an EF of 20-25. After being on Entresto for almost 2 years (I think) an echo a week ago indicated an EF of 60. Psychological relief if nothing else. Also have a mechanical mitral valve and pacer/ defibrillator ICD. Not a $6 million dollar man but closer than some, just don't have the super powers.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Noncompaction cardiomyopathy is different from what the others are posting about, as you appear to know from the OP.

You're in SF. UCSF should have someone who can work with you with this.

It's a newer diagnosis. I've encountered cardiologists that didn't even know about it. Sad but true.

EDIT: UCSF Familial CM Clinic

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5675 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied. Correct, NCM is a relatively new type of diagnosis. My uncle, a retired surgeon who himself recently suffered a heart attack, had never heard of it.

Certainly many people have congestive heart failures, but very rarely is it caused by NCM. I do have a possible chance of strengthening my heart muscles.

There’s a high probability of the condition being hereditary. Therefore this recent incident has mandated a family genetic sweep: my brother and sister are about to be told they need to get some tests.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Glad you’re OK kkina. Still got to send you an email sometime. Been putting it off.

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I’m basically ok, but will probably be making some significant changes to my life at this point, both personal and business-wise.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Kkina—
I’m really glad you were diagnosed and are doing well. Cardiac MRI’s are extremely useful for cardiomyopathy.
I have seen echocardiograms of people with NCM, but only in teaching situations. To my knowledge I never had a patient with it. As you said, it’s quite rare.

Do you know if you will be a candidate for an internal defibrillator in a few months?

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you know if you will be a candidate for an internal defibrillator in a few months?

It will definitely be up for discussion after rehab is completed. I’m pretty sure I don’t want one. Prefer to take my chances.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Patients with NCM commonly have ventricular arrhythmias, and you will probably have multiple Holster and event monitors done. Here’s a quote from the Up To Date article on the condition:

quote:
For patients with LVNC with an LVEF ≤35 percent and New York Heart Association (NYHA) class II to III HF, we suggest ICD implantation for primary prevention of SCA [9]. Limited data are available to support this approach

LVEF is left ventricular ejection fraction, it’s a number you should know in your case.

Listen very carefully to what your cardiologist recommends.

Also, as you know by now, this is a genetic condition, and your having it implies the need for genetic testing of close relatives.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Thank you. No final decisions have been made yet, and the next few months should be interesting. One thing they did tell me, though, is that my electrical profile is pretty much perfect. Also, No coronary disease whatsoever.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

It will definitely be up for discussion after rehab is completed. I’m pretty sure I don’t want one. Prefer to take my chances.

I suffered a viral cardiomyopathy a few years ago. Was in the hospital for three weeks ; the cath exam did not have a detectable ejection fraction ( mostly dead).

My pacemaker-defib implant has kept me alive for over 20 years! I strongly advise the implant; almost unnoticed and cheap insurance!!

Glad you made it through!!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2159 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:
My pacemaker-defib implant has kept me alive for over 20 years! I strongly advise the implant; almost unnoticed and cheap insurance!!

Glad you made it through!!

I agree. A pacemaker is an easy outpatient surgery and is there to assist your heart if needed. If it’s not needed it will still send signals to a monitor next to your bed so your heart doc can see if or when the pacemaker has been called on. With any EF under 35 it’s highly recommended.

Posts: 4010 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Wishing you all the best. Did you get a fancy tactical life vest?

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Wishing you all the best. Did you get a fancy tactical life vest?

I’m afraid you lost me on that one.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Kevin, I wish you well and a healthy road to recovery ahead, God Bless my friend.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post