SIGforum
Taxes - e-file and mailing payment

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3760067224

April 15, 2017, 06:48 PM
konata88
Taxes - e-file and mailing payment
I usually e-file and get a refund.

This year, I owe. I e-filed my taxes but not sure what to do about payment. I'm using H&R tax software and it said it would send instructions once the returns were accepted or something (4 hours to 3 days?).

Has anyone done this before? What typically do you need to do when sending payment by mail?

Print the 1 page payment voucher for both Fed and State? Include a check and mail it?

Or do I need to include paper forms, copy of the W2, etc? Should I start printing everything?

BTW, when I print drafts, I use a two-sided printer. Sometimes, the first page of a form is on the back side of previous form. Is this okay when sending forms into the IRS? Or do I need to print each form individually?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
April 15, 2017, 06:51 PM
OldChimney
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I usually e-file and get a refund.

This year, I owe. I e-filed my taxes but not sure what to do about payment. I'm using H&R tax software and it said it would send instructions once the returns were accepted or something (4 hours to 3 days?).

Has anyone done this before? What typically do you need to do when sending payment by mail?

Print the 1 page payment voucher for both Fed and State? Include a check and mail it?

Or do I need to include paper forms, copy of the W2, etc? Should I start printing everything?

BTW, when I print drafts, I use a two-sided printer. Sometimes, the first page of a form is on the back side of previous form. Is this okay when sending forms into the IRS? Or do I need to print each form individually?

If you e-file you only need to mail in the payment voucher with your check.

April 15, 2017, 07:03 PM
btgoanna
I e-filed and did the electronic payment

Once IRS accepted the return , there was a link to a site where i could pay

It cost me approx $2 convenience fee

April 15, 2017, 07:05 PM
Sigmund
quote:
Originally posted by btgoanna:
I e-filed and did the electronic payment

Once IRS accepted the return , there was a link to a site where i could pay

It cost me approx $2 convenience fee

Very easy, I think this is who I used:

https://payusatax.com/
April 15, 2017, 07:35 PM
SpinZone
Just send the voucher and your check. Make sure your SSN is on the check.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

April 15, 2017, 07:38 PM
tatortodd
Voucher and check.

If I remember correct, the OP is in California. Here is the link to IRS' where to mail tax payments for California residents.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
April 15, 2017, 07:40 PM
Sig2340
FUCK THE BATFE

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018
April 15, 2017, 08:18 PM
comet24
You should get info on how to send a check or pay online. I've done both in the past. Usually just pay online. I think it was free with the Fed as long as I used a bank account. Just need the routing number and account number. They charged if I used a credit card.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac
April 15, 2017, 08:30 PM
snidera
"1098-V" payment voucher.
Turbotax prints it on the 1st page of your return - filled out with your info, amount & the correct mailing location for your state. No idea what HR Block does.
April 15, 2017, 09:57 PM
AZSigs
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
FUCK THE BATFE

Interesting comment in an IRS taxes thread.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor
April 15, 2017, 10:17 PM
MitchbSC
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
quote:
FUCK THE BATFE

Interesting comment in an IRS taxes thread.

Even more interesting when you write that below the signature block on your 1040.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
April 15, 2017, 10:40 PM
9mmepiphany
I usually just pay electronically. All they need is the Routing number and thee Account number.

I'll be moving money into the account on Monday for them to draw on

No, Daoism isn't a religion

April 16, 2017, 10:47 AM
Pipe Smoker
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
I usually just pay electronically. All they need is the Routing number and thee Account number.

I'll be moving money into the account on Monday for them to draw on

Same here. If you pay by this EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) method, there's no convenience fee.

Serious about crackers
April 16, 2017, 12:53 PM
konata88
Thanks guys.

I received the Fed confirmation. H&R sw now indicates that I just send in a check w/ the voucher. Still waiting for State but I assume it'll be the same thing.

I assume it's safe to drop off both at the USPS office today; State is just a time lag but will be the same as Fed (just different address and Payee). If so, I'll send both of today.

I'm thinking about creating another account, both credit and checking, for this type of stuff moving forward. I'm very hesitant giving out my SSN and my primary account numbers, especially to a third party. And I don't know why the convenience fee isn't just flat. Is it really different work to handle $1 vs $5000?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
April 16, 2017, 01:48 PM
9mmepiphany
quote:
I'm very hesitant giving out my SSN and my primary account numbers, especially to a third party.

Wouldn't you have already been providing them this information for prior refunds?

No, Daoism isn't a religion

April 16, 2017, 02:08 PM
Georgeair
quote:
And I don't know why the convenience fee isn't just flat. Is it really different work to handle $1 vs $5000?

Not if they are taking credit cards instead of bank debit info. They have to pay the fees, too.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

April 16, 2017, 02:29 PM
konata88
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
I'm very hesitant giving out my SSN and my primary account numbers, especially to a third party.

Wouldn't you have already been providing them this information for prior refunds?

To IRS, yes. To H&R, yes. But not sure about this third party that H&R/IRS uses to handle the fund transfer.

April 16, 2017, 02:29 PM
konata88
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
And I don't know why the convenience fee isn't just flat. Is it really different work to handle $1 vs $5000?

Not if they are taking credit cards instead of bank debit info. They have to pay the fees, too.

Ah! CC fees that vendors pay scales w/ amount too.

April 16, 2017, 02:39 PM
quote:
FUCK THE BATFE

Have you deposited my check from the last FFL transaction on January 15????

April 16, 2017, 02:56 PM
cas
I waited to hear back for my state return and never did. Log into H&R block and view your return. The part you need to print is at the bottom if your return.