SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sick of the NRA? Read this from NRA Board Member /// NRA Faces a Challenge From Pro-Gun Advocates (WSJ Article)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sick of the NRA? Read this from NRA Board Member /// NRA Faces a Challenge From Pro-Gun Advocates (WSJ Article) Login/Join 
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted
Found this article from a couple weeks ago..

https://www.breachbangclear.co...-nra-then-read-this/

This was written by NRA Board Member Duane Liptak . It’s a long read, but if you’re in the ranks of those who are pro-gun but anti-NRA, it’s worth the read.

So, it’s relatively popular to bash the NRA right now, and we have a lot of folks in our own community that are happy to jump on that bandwagon. I get it. I don’t like where we are at with the 2A situation, either, and I wish the NRA could yell “Shall not be infringed,” from the mountaintops. But, through my involvement with the org over the past years, and the insight into the DC and state level situations I’ve unfortunately had to gain while lobbying and managing lobbying efforts, I also understand some things that make me appreciate the strengths of what the NRA actually brings to us, and I felt compelled to share that as a comment on some posts that decried the current state of the NRA. Some folks urged me to make it sharable, so I’m doing so, with some cleaning up of my language.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nra-life-member,

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Really good read. I’d highly recommend all gun owners read it!

And as Benjamin Franklin said “We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately”.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2672 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reading through the comments and the Truth About Guns article (link in the comments) still raises questions in my mind about the NRA, and what they have done vs. ought to have done.

From the comments, it appears there has been a lot of "circling of the wagons" recently by NRA executives and board members. It makes me wonder if Mr. Liptak's article is more of the same.

I'm a Patron member of the NRA but I share some of the dissent posted by various readers of Mr. Liptak's piece.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
all one has to do is ask - where would we be if not for the strength of the NRA ?

we would have lost most of our gun rights YEARS ago

are we in the ideal spot in all states ? no we are not

but the NRA is a generally effective tool - one of many - in preserving our rights

of course i am not a fan of all their methods / tactics / processes

----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Would we have more gun rights today if we had a more hard core gun advocacy group that was larger and less willing to compromise than the NRA?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21122 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They could use an offense. I’m tired of them only playing defense.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Circling the wagons is a good thing. It's what all gun owners should be doing.

United we stand, divided we fall.

24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand.

Hang together or hang separately.

Not new concepts. We can all pick something we don't like about the organization and go off on our separate ways. Where would we be then? Don't like what's happening? Vote new people in.

Posts: 11008 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The NRA isn’t some sort of faceless machine that programs itself to operate. It is people and people have different ideas about everything, even when they’re working for a particular goal such as protecting our gun rights. The people of the NRA are elected by its members. If we don’t like something the people of the NRA are doing, then vote for others. Oh, wait: You’re not a member? Then join and work to form the organization’s leadership the way you want it.

Without the NRA and as it has been, we would be lucky to have the rights that gun owners (such as they are) have in places like the UK, Canada, and Australia. Or we might have the same rights as the people in Japan. Whenever I see a post about someone who decided to climb a mountain in a bikini or killed himself wingsuiting and there are hooting posts about Darwin, I can only think of all the gun owners in this country who are just as clueless. “I quit the NRA because they called me at home.” “I won’t join the NRA unless they support the right to own plutonium.” “I don’t like the NRA because of the colors in their logos.”
Oh, so sorry, Pumpkin. Go to your safe space, have a good cry, and then a nice warm cup of cocoa.

If the NRA wasn’t the most effective force for maintaining—and often reacquiring—our gun rights, they wouldn’t be demonized by the anti crowd as they are. How often have we seen any other gun rights organization vilified in the same way?
That’s called a clue, boys and girls.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47413 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with sigfreund. United we stand, divided we fall, or fail in this case. People need to get a grip.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10911 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Circling the wagons is a good thing. It's what all gun owners should be doing.

United we stand, divided we fall.

24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand.

Hang together or hang separately.

Not new concepts. We can all pick something we don't like about the organization and go off on our separate ways. Where would we be then? Don't like what's happening? Vote new people in.

The circling the wagons I'm referring to is the criticism the executives and board are receiving for their salaries and benefits, not from any new gun control issues.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
Original article has a Pay Wall

https://www.wsj.com/articles/n...389?mod=hp_lead_pos9

Found this article cut out here.

http://lerant.proboards.com/th...r-stocks-prohibition

NRA Faces a Challenge From Pro-Gun Advocates
Smaller groups draw interest after bump-stock ban; ‘the NRA is appeasing to the middle, they’re not pro-gun enough’

----------------------

Dustin Coleman has bought a booth at the National Rifle Association’s annual convention for his shooting accessories company for the past three years.

But last month, he canceled his reservation and donated the $1,400 rental fee to a rival group, the Firearms Policy Coalition. His reason: The NRA, the nation’s leading Second Amendment group with 5.5 million members, is no longer pro-gun enough.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you want dissent in this thread or if your just expecting an echo chamber. I've been called stupid here for not caring if the NRA continues or fades. Let it fly.

My points against the NRA aren't the common issues (donation calls, compromises, ineffectiveness, floods of mailings, etc.).

First is the hyperbole. They cry wolf so often, that I just can't take them seriously. I don't know how many letters I got that said "YOUR GUN RIGHTS WON'T SURVIVE ANOTHER 4 YEARS OF THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION". Yet, here we are. "THIS BOOGEYMAN WANTS TO CONFISCATE YOUR GUNS!!!". I just grew weary of it all.

Second, the right to bear arms is an individual right to have and protect. No law is going to change my ownership of firearms, no corporation is going to change my ownership of firearms and if the tyrants come to my house the NRA certainly isn't going to do anything about it. It's like being a pew warmer putting $2 in the collection plate for some far away needy person that they would never help face to face. Everyone likes to wear their MOLON LABE t-shirts but they don't really mean it. Let someone else handle it.

Third, I'm fully against lobbying. Even if it's from "our side". It's something that's shouldn't be. That doesn't change the fact that it exists but I don't wish to be a part of it.

I can't be guilted into being an NRA member.

I'd hope we can still be friends because I do respect your passion for liberty. I just have a different way of achieving it.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
If the NRA wasn’t the most effective force for maintaining—and often reacquiring—our gun rights, they wouldn’t be demonized by the anti crowd as they are. How often have we seen any other gun rights organization vilified in the same way?
That’s called a clue, boys and girls.

+1

I understand the fact that a lot of gun owners in this country are not like us; they have a single firearm, stored in a closet, a sock drawer, a half box of ammo somewhere in the house. But if the NRA could double its membership, we would be lot better off. The NRA does not spend nearly the type of money like the pharma, defense, tech, and oil industries; hell even AARP spends way more money in DC than the NRA. But the one thing we have is the membership and its grassroots ability to organize. We can do better than 5 million members, imagine 10-15 million.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

+1

I understand the fact that a lot of gun owners in this country are not like us; they have a single firearm, stored in a closet, a sock drawer, a half box of ammo somewhere in the house. But if the NRA could double its membership, we would be lot better off. The NRA does not spend nearly the type of money like the pharma, defense, tech, and oil industries; hell even AARP spends way more money in DC than the NRA. But the one thing we have is the membership and its grassroots ability to organize. We can do better than 5 million members, imagine 10-15 million.

Let's look at this most excellent commentary from another view.

I know that it is frowned upon to bring up locked threads, but the content fits here so very well. In another thread that was posted in locked, the poster asked "Are we doomed?" and linked another thread on another board where some dude was bellyaching about he wasn't getting his way in the White House, so in fact, we are doomed. The left is winning, Trump is a spineless lump of jelly, and it read just like it was off of a teleprompter at the CNN Board of Directors.

Fact of the matter is boys that we aren't doomed, unless we allow it to happen. Yeah, you heard me. Some states are lost. The good people should move out of those states and move to ones where we can use our power to shore up super majorities. The actual numbers are that there are way more of us, than there are of them.

BUT BUT BUT CNN/MSDNC just ran a poll that says that the majority of Americans (113 percent to be exact) identify as supporting gun confiscation, and man don't forget about Katrina, don't say it can't happen man, its already happened. Cats and dogs living together, total anarchy. BREAKING NEWS- They lie. And some of our people seem to be more than willing to fall for it. They know that all of the major news outlets are nothing but propaganda arms for the DNC. But, they believe things that they want to believe. I wonder at times if some people in our midst just want to be outraged and miserable.

We aren't doomed. Unless, we keep buying into what they are selling, and a large amount of our number just gives up. We have them outnumbered at the ballot box. We damn sure have them outnumbered at the bullet box. But, a large number on our side have resigned themselves to being "doomed". Those who believe they are doomed are quitters. They are doomed. They will be the first to surrender. If they know anything to tell their captors to make their lot in life any easier, they will. The fall victim to fake news, fake polls, and strategic positions that sometimes leaves us scratching our heads.

Speaking of giving up, you know what we should do to speed the process of our surrender? Fight amongst ourselves. Yep. Not support the NRA because they aren't "PRO-GUN" enough. Sounds roughly like the people who refuse to support Bernie Sanders because he just isn't communist enough. Or not support the NRA because we don't believe in how they do business. You know, on PRINCIPLE AND WHATNOT. Yeah, that has done us some good in years gone by. Taking the high road really has done us some good in the past instead of fighting it like a war. Like the war that it is for our survival. Fellas, if your "principles" won't let you fight a war to win, step aside and let people who want to win fight it. Just don't bash them for the way that they fight that war. Because remember, you refuse to fight it. Saying "Well, I show my support by being a member of the Southern NH Gun Owners Group and Tile Emporium". Yeah, because Nancy Pelosi and the gun control groups CONSTANTLY whine about that bunch of Second Amendment hoodlums. Wait, no they don't, it is all about their fear of the NRA.

Guys, this is ours to win. It's ours to lose.

You just have to pick a side. Smile

It is no different than those who support our President, then go berserk on him when one thing doesn't go the way they think it should go. My personal feeling is that people that act like that, never really supported him to begin with. People in this country however feel as if this should be Burger King, and they should get everything their way with a political organization or candidate. And they are more than willing to just pick up their ball and go home when they don't get their way. And then the bully up the block takes their ball because they have segregated themselves.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I Noticed that just last week The Yankee Marshall did a scathing youtube video about the NRA called "Why Did the NRA Abandon the Gun Community?"

I won't post the link, but basically he was saying they have never really been about gun rights, but rather they started out to support the shooting sports and now they, and in particular the board members, are about money.

I've always been neutral on this youtub'er, but I thought his report was a little over the top.

Sadly this youtub'er has quite a following, and blasting our own isn't helpful.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10938 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

It's all about attitude...

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The anti-gun forces have done a great job segmenting and dividing gun owners.

You have the hunters who get a little concession and then they are fine sticking it to the 'black rifle' crowd.

Then you have the casual gun owner who might have one or 2 guns somewhere, but don't really pay attention - the left is able to re-assure this group that 'no one wants to take away your gun' and get support for an AWB because it won't affect hunters or 'regular' gun owners.

Next they want to get the LEO's on their side, so they give special rights to LEO's and then count on them to show up at every announcement taking away rights for regular citizens.

Then you take the 'hard core' true believers in the 2A and they ridicule them as wanting to allow everyone to own artillery pieces and nuclear missiles and get the media to portray them as nutjobs.

They have done a wonderful job dividing and chipping away at our rights.

We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I read the article and its a good read

More to whats going on than meets the eye

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53226 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

+1

Let's look at this most excellent commentary from another view.

I know that it is frowned upon to bring up locked threads, but the content fits here so very well. In another thread that was posted in locked, the poster asked "Are we doomed?" and linked another thread on another board where some dude was bellyaching about he wasn't getting his way in the White House, so in fact, we are doomed. The left is winning, Trump is a spineless lump of jelly, and it read just like it was off of a teleprompter at the CNN Board of Directors.

Fact of the matter is boys that we aren't doomed, unless we allow it to happen. Yeah, you heard me. Some states are lost. The good people should move out of those states and move to ones where we can use our power to shore up super majorities. The actual numbers are that there are way more of us, than there are of them.

BUT BUT BUT CNN/MSDNC just ran a poll that says that the majority of Americans (113 percent to be exact) identify as supporting gun confiscation, and man don't forget about Katrina, don't say it can't happen man, its already happened. Cats and dogs living together, total anarchy. BREAKING NEWS- They lie. And some of our people seem to be more than willing to fall for it. They know that all of the major news outlets are nothing but propaganda arms for the DNC. But, they believe things that they want to believe. I wonder at times if some people in our midst just want to be outraged and miserable.

We aren't doomed. Unless, we keep buying into what they are selling, and a large amount of our number just gives up. We have them outnumbered at the ballot box. We damn sure have them outnumbered at the bullet box. But, a large number on our side have resigned themselves to being "doomed". Those who believe they are doomed are quitters. They are doomed. They will be the first to surrender. If they know anything to tell their captors to make their lot in life any easier, they will. The fall victim to fake news, fake polls, and strategic positions that sometimes leaves us scratching our heads.

Speaking of giving up, you know what we should do to speed the process of our surrender? Fight amongst ourselves. Yep. Not support the NRA because they aren't "PRO-GUN" enough. Sounds roughly like the people who refuse to support Bernie Sanders because he just isn't communist enough. Or not support the NRA because we don't believe in how they do business. You know, on PRINCIPLE AND WHATNOT. Yeah, that has done us some good in years gone by. Taking the high road really has done us some good in the past instead of fighting it like a war. Like the war that it is for our survival. Fellas, if your "principles" won't let you fight a war to win, step aside and let people who want to win fight it. Just don't bash them for the way that they fight that war. Because remember, you refuse to fight it. Saying "Well, I show my support by being a member of the Southern NH Gun Owners Group and Tile Emporium". Yeah, because Nancy Pelosi and the gun control groups CONSTANTLY whine about that bunch of Second Amendment hoodlums. Wait, no they don't, it is all about their fear of the NRA.

It is no different than those who support our President, then go berserk on him when one thing doesn't go the way they think it should go. My personal feeling is that people that act like that, never really supported him to begin with. People in this country however feel as if this should be Burger King, and they should get everything their way with a political organization or candidate. And they are more than willing to just pick up their ball and go home when they don't get their way. And then the bully up the block takes their ball because they have segregated themselves.

This !

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I don't know if you want dissent in this thread

These were thoughts from a NRA board member (unofficial) and an article from the "press" about what they believe is happening.

I have seen posted all over the net about good / bad NRA - with gun owners fighting among ourselves. The left loves it - just like we love seeing the democratic party in disarray.

The left is attacking gun owners at the local and state levels

Bottom line - were all on the same team in the same fight. We need National and State organizations in this fight. It's all hands on deck.