SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    21" lawn mower vs 36" lawn mower
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

21" lawn mower vs 36" lawn mower Login/Join 
posted
A guy can buy a pretty nice 21" lawn mower for $300.00 - $400.00.

then I went looking at 36 " lawn mower's
Eek
$3,000.00 too $5,500.00 Eek

almost all of the 36" mower's stated that they are commercial grade.

I can justify an extra $1,500.00 for super heavy duty materials.

what don't I know ?

do these commercial jobs last 30 years for a residential , twice a week usage ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54648 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Toro and Exmark commercial make a 30" lawn mower if you want something in between.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24121 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
At first glance, you are comparing something that might be self-propelled that you can walk behind vs. something that is self-propelled walk behind and could potentially pull you on a wheel cart (dang near a zero turn/rider)?

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
21" mower is going to be a heck of a lot easier to maneuver.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much are you mowing with this and what is the terrain like?

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Wait until you start pricing the 72" mowers......

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If you're serious about a 36", I'd start looking at 40" zero turn mowers. A 'Prosumer' version should be available for somewhere around the price of the 36's you noted.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Belt drive 36s are considerably cheaper than hydros.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
should have stipulated 36 inch walk behind mowers.

about 4000 sq ft of yard to mow.

would like to cut my mowing by a third , but I don't see it happening at these prices

Posts: 54648 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
should have stipulated 36 inch walk behind mowers.

about 4000 sq ft of yard to mow.

would like to cut my mowing by a third , but I don't see it happening at these prices

4000 sqft is only about 63x63 - it can't take that long with a 21" push mower. We're only talking roughly 30 passes... a half an hour plus trimming/blowing etc?

One of the big self propelled walk behind mowers would be a bit of over kill.

Many companies make a 28" self propelled mower that would be more affordable - likely in that $700 - $800 range.

Cub Cadet

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Get a goat.

Then later enjoy Barbacoa Cabrito.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a 63' x 63' lot, I'd get the smaller one, save the money, and enjoy the half-hour of exercise. We could all use some exercise.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9161 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
30" Personal Pace® TimeMaster® Mower (21199)
https://www.torodealer.com/en-...imemaster-21199(Toro)

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Louisville Craigslist is full of good 36" mowers from $1200 up to $3500 with most being 1500-2500 for commercial machines.

Might be worth driving down for this package.

https://louisville.craigslist....ombo/6877340067.html

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Whatever you get, hang a sign on it that says "Merrier". Then you'll have the mower the Merrier. . . .

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Here's the perfect walk behind mower for you. Cut your time by more than half!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as life span for a commercial mower, my Gravely riding tractor cuts 60” wide, was bought new in 1989. Used it today for the same job it’s been doing for 30 years. Paid 7k new. May have put 1k total in parts in it in that time (but probably not).

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
The value difference between consumer grade and commercial aside.

4,000 square feet is roughly 65' square. A 21" mower would take 37 passes, and a 36" mower would take 22. Assuming the same speed, you're looking at a 40% time savings.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
seems I forgot the side yards,
add another 1600 sq ft