SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lawn sprinklers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawn sprinklers Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
Anyone here know the pipe details on sprinkler systems? I am going to water my new (last fall) sod yard with a new pump on my shallow well. There is plenty of water from the shallow well. I measured 15 gal/min from the old pump.
I need to install about 80-90 ft of line from the pump to the start of the sprinkler pattern. The pump is a 3/4hp wit 1 1/4 suction and 1" outlet. The pump data says it will do 16gpm

What size pvc should I use for the 80-90ft run without losing much water supplied to the far end?

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6410 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a pro but have installed underground sprinklers at several of our properties over the years.
I usually run a 1" PVC Sch 40 pipe to the solenoids and then run 3/4" sch 40 pressure to the heads. I usually do all the work myself and 10' sticks of pipe is just easier for me to work with than 50-100' coils of piping...almost all the pro's around here will run 3/4" poly piping in ground around here though.
I'm just finishing up sprinklers around the house and used the 3/4" underground and have 4 Orbit gear drive sprinklers per zone and have PLENTY of pressure.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with 1" minumum for the feeder run. Anything less would create too much drag/flow reduction.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1" for the run. You could knock it down to 3/4" for branch lines, but all branch lines would need to be 3/4" or you'd get uneven flow.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
If it's got a 1" outlet, go with 1". You will not regret having the larger pipe if you ever want to add zones.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12943 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hangtime:
Go with 1" minumum for the feeder run. Anything less would create too much drag/flow reduction.

Yes 1" minimum. I am wondering about any flow advantage of running 1.25" or even 1.5" for the 80-90ft feeder.

I have layed out and glued up public spa pipes, but I do not know anything about loss over distance. Except it happens.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6410 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
quote:
Originally posted by Hangtime:

Yes 1" minimum. I am wondering about any flow advantage of running 1.25" or even 1.5" for the 80-90ft feeder.

I have layed out and glued up public spa pipes, but I do not know anything about loss over distance. Except it happens.

It depends on how long the run is. BUT, 1.25" and 1.5" wouldn't hurt. Run branch lines 1-2 sizes smaller than your main line and you should have even pressure at all branch lines.

Edited to add: Here's a calculator to figure out pumping losses

http://irrigation.wsu.edu/Cont...ne-Pressure-Loss.php

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post