SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One of last 3 survivors of USS Arizona to attend Ceremony
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One of last 3 survivors of USS Arizona to attend Ceremony Login/Join 
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted
Link

USS Arizona survivor gets hero’s welcome in return to Hawaii
HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - One of the last remaining USS Arizona survivors received a hero's welcome in Honolulu on Tuesday.

Water cannons greeted Lou Conter's Hawaiian Airlines flight from Sacramento.
The 98-year-old California resident and his family will attend Saturday's ceremony to mark the 78th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack.

"I always come out to pay respect for the 2,403 men that were killed that day, including 1,177 of my shipmates on the Arizona," he said.

When Conter missed last December’s ceremony due to an illness, for the first time there was no survivor from the sunken battleship was at the tribute.

On Saturday, he will be at Pearl Harbor for the annual event as well as a private ceremony in which his fellow shipmate, Lauren Bruner, will interred on the USS Arizona.

"We're losing that generation so quickly, and our younger generation needs to embrace the history and realize what great men these guys were and women," said Warren Hull, who is producing a documentary and a book about Conter. "We have so many great stories from that generation."

The other two USS Arizona survivors, Donald Stratton and Ken Potts, have indicated that they’re no longer able to travel to Hawaii.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I had the honor of meeting Mr Stratton twice over the past 2 years. He is an AMAZING and humble human being. His book is also awesome; I highly recommend it: All the Gallant Men.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:

On Saturday, he will be at Pearl Harbor for the annual event as well as a private ceremony in which his fellow shipmate, Lauren Bruner, will interred on the USS Arizona.

US Army divers used MK5 diving gear which would have been used in that era, to inter Fire Control Chief Lauren Bruner's ashes inside the USS Arizona where he will rest with his shipmates:

Video

Army divers used WWII-era gear to inter a Pearl Harbor survivor aboard the sunken USS Arizona

Posts: 34536 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post