SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marilyn Mosby won reelection // Baltimore police shutting down admin functions to put more police on the street
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marilyn Mosby won reelection // Baltimore police shutting down admin functions to put more police on the street Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Omar for Mayor.

he would have been infinitely better

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I don’t see how anyone could police there after what she did with the Freddie Gray case. The homicide problem won’t get any better if the cops don’t trust her to not hang them out to dry.

Posts: 1519 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
somewhat OT, but didn't want to start a new thread

I think Mosby has a lot to do w this situation

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bal...mount-131536561.html

BALTIMORE (AP) — A day after 11 people were shot in Baltimore, the troubled police department said it's shutting down its administrative functions so that more officers can hit the streets.

The Baltimore Sun reports Interim Commissioner Gary Tuggle announced Wednesday that 230 officers assigned to administrative duties will go on patrol, putting a total of 650 officers on the streets in a department struggling to fill 500 vacancies.

Tuggle says they'll keep desk officers on patrol until they're no longer needed or the department can no longer function with administrative duties going undone.

Both Mayor Catherine Pugh and Tuggle blame the violence on the illegal drug trade.

Baltimore has recorded 250 homicides so far this year, 44 of them in the last 30 days.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20181009-story.html

Baltimore’s interim police commissioner — the third person to hold the top post this year — said Tuesday that he has withdrawn from consideration for the permanent job.

Gary Tuggle, a former Drug Enforcement Administration veteran who joined the police department earlier this year, said he decided he couldn’t make the necessary commitment.

“I’m confident it can be fixed, without a doubt, but it's going to take an extended commitment — I’m going to say five to seven years — based on everything that needs to be done, including re-establishing the public's trust in the department. And I just don’t have that five to seven years to give,” he said.

City Solicitor Andre Davis told U.S. District Judge James K. Bredar that the city remains on track to name a new police commissioner by the end of the month.

The selection process has been kept under wraps so far. Davis said more than 50 applications have been received, and a panel of three law enforcement experts from around the country is helping in the search.

Tuggle’s decision to withdraw from consideration comes during a year of turnover at the top of the police department. Former Police Commissioner Kevin Davis was fired in January. His replacement, agency veteran Darryl De Sousa, lasted just a few months before he was charged with failing to file federal taxes and resigned in May. Tuggle, a former DEA special agent whom De Sousa recruited to be one of his deputies, ascended to the interim spot.

Last week, a top commander resigned in lieu of termination after slamming a chair into a wall during a meeting with Tuggle’s chief of staff, and a rookie officer was terminated after being found drunk on the job while working a daytime overtime shift. Another officer is standing trial this week on charges of first-degree assault for striking a man with his baton.

Col. Perry Standfield, who resigned after the heated meeting, told The Sun that the department needed to be rebuilt. Standfield is a 30-year veteran of the agency who was brought back by De Sousa.

Sources say an internal investigation is also underway after Deputy Commissioner Andre Bonaparte and Chief of Patrol Deron Garrity got into a confrontation outside the police union lodge Friday morning.

Tuggle, a Baltimore native and former city police officer, joined the DEA in 1992 and rose through the ranks to leadership positions in Baltimore, Chicago, Philadelphia and Washington.

He served as assistant special agent in charge of the agency’s Baltimore office from 2013 to 2015, overseeing its investigation into the looting of large amounts of pharmaceutical drugs from pharmacies during the 2015 unrest. He subsequently led the DEA’s Philadelphia office.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mosby and former mayor Stephanie Rwalings-Blake unleashed the violence after the Freddie Gray incident. Massive amounts of drugs were looted from Baltimore pharmacies in the riots. That started a drug war that is still fueling Baltimore homicides.

Posts: 19614 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Marilyn Mosby won the DEM primary for Baltimore State's Attorney

There were no REP candidates, so she wins in the Nov election

2017 FBI data
homicides / 100,000 population

Highest rates for the nation's 50 largest cities:

56 Baltimore
40 Detroit
28 Memphis
24 Chicago
20 Philadelphia
20 Milwaukee

remember this is homicides per 100,000 pop, so cities like Chicago may have more homicides but it also has higher population

Baltimore mayor Pugh:
“We are not satisfied and are determined to reduce crime and violence much more,”

“One murder in Baltimore is one murder too many. But I am convinced that by addressing the root causes that give rise to hopelessness and eventually to criminal activity, we will make Baltimore safer for all residents.”

[url=http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland
/crime/bs-md-ci-fbi-data-20180924-story.html]http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20180924-story.html[/url]

This will no doubt be a preview of what is to come here in Chicago. As the population decreases and the police are forced to back off due to the proposed consent decree, we will soon overtake a few on that list. All new mayoral candidates are anti-police, SJW types and are only looking to take the scraps that are currently on the floor, then this city will implode financially. I can only imagine the aftermath. Hopefully I'm gone in 3 years.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
another report on how homicides increased after the Freddie Gray incident

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.7f7f311e4453

Two example Baltimore statistics:

1. Of the 1,002 homicides between 2015 and the beginning of this year, just 252 — one out of every four — resulted in an arrest.

2. The neighborhood where Freddie Gray died is called Sandtown-Winchester. The police make homicide arrests in only 16% of the cases in Sandtown-Winchester.

Posts: 19614 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
This is what the voters asked for so they have no one to blame but themselves.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
They get exactly what the vote for...as a very wise man said in Proverbs "As a dog that returns to it's vomit, so it is with the fool that repeats his folly"...this sums Baltimore up.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
These people refuse to help themselves. The seem to welcome a life of abject misery, poverty, and dependence.

Well enjoy it. You've earned it.

That's very true. Any one of them could change their own course like the rest of the population who contribute. I used to do volunteer work in a poor neighborhood to help individuals who expressed an interest in changing their own course. Some of them expressed an interest but none executed when presented with multiple assited opportunities complte with specific dates and times with potential employers. I came to the conclusion it was simple laziness and not much more than that, and that it was pervasive and deeply entrenched. Normal contributing citizens like you and I can't comprehend that approach to life but it is real nevertheless for them however unfortunate. As we all know you can't help anyone who doesn't want to change so it's no different in these communities.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8724 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post