SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marines- Who remembers Close Order Drill?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marines- Who remembers Close Order Drill? Login/Join 
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
"Column of files from the right..."

I was at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego in '83, but even after that, we had to do close order drill during inspections while out in the fleet.

The agency I retired from has a drill team, and what is so good about them is that a former sergeant, who was in charge of them, was on the Silent Drill Team. The team was very impressive, and it brought pride and dignity to many memorials and events.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1173 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Is this where the DI would command you to move up to close the interval to the man in front of you such that you would "make your buddy smile"?

LOL

"Nuts to Butts!"

First phrase that came to my mind. That was lining up to the chow line in San Diego. I wonder if they still do that now with mixed genders.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be surprising, shocking, if any of you marines did forget your close order drill.

Here is a story.

Germany in '64 or so, decided to award back pay to former Askari soldiers still alive, who fought for Imperial Germany in WW1 - mostly East German Africa and Southeast German Africa troops, in the African campaign, 1914-1918.

The banker assigned to pay the former soldiers had a problem in identifying whom to pay. He, probably ex-military himself, gave each applicant a broomstick to perform the Prussian Infantry Drill.

All applicants passed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Askari

BTW, for you military historians, the German Africa campaign of 1914-1918 presents a fantastic study in irregular warfare, where by a small well trained and led force of 11,000 to 13,000 troops tied down up to 500K troops over a 4 year period.

A well executed irregular warfare campaign can be impossible to defeat. The Askari's deserved their back pay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_von_Lettow-Vorbeck

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Not only do I remember it perfectly, I have a couple of other Marines for coworkers and we frequently do COD with umbrellas in the office hallway. You can imagine the looks.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
In college I was on the NROTC Drill Team. Big Grin

“Well I’ll sleep better at night knowing that, sir.” — Gunny Highway

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
In high school we drilled with M-1's,I joined the navy and we drilled with o3's
We went to camp Pentalton and shot the M-1's under Marine instructors.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We were "asshole to bellybutton" in 1989.

I remember that for sure. Plt 1089 - started in August of '89 and most definitely remember close order drill and my general orders.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IHTFP.

Ostensibly it stood for I hope there’s a Friday parade but more factually I hate this fucking place. USNA.

I can still do it, I don’t remember it with love though. Lol

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A sailor here -

I remember training with old de-militarized Springfield '03s, and can still do the 13-count manual of arms without even thinking about it. Funny how some things stick with you for life.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
IHTFP.

Ostensibly it stood for I hope there’s a Friday parade but more factually I hate this fucking place. USNA.

I can still do it, I don’t remember it with love though. Lol

I remember COD, but thankfully only did it during Plebe Summer. I then proceeded to miss every single parade, thanks to crew practice (I think that may have actually been a net loss...)

Question is - at this point in your life, do you ever look out the window in January, then open it up to scream "Dark Ages"?

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Never been a marine, 11 years army, and I well remember close order drill.

Have not read the rest of the thread, but who here remembers the "stockade shuffle"?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never been a Marine but my son was and my SIL retired from the Corps in 2007 as an O-5 Harrior pilot.

All these entries very familiar so the branches not far apart. My basic was at Sampson AFB in FEB TO April 1954. Retired in 1974.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
My brother surely does. He was on the precision drill team in Navy ROTC at Texas. Their practices and performances were often enlivened with the presence of their team sweetheart, Farrah Fawcett.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Its been a while, but watching good close order drill still sends a chill up my spine. Love it.

The "snap and pop" is something to behold.

(And of course lends itself to good order and discipline)

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
feersum, good memories! The dark ages. lol

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, I remember it well. Big Grin I actually enjoyed it. I was in Army basic training in the summer of 1959 and drilled with the M1. I can still do the manual of arms, even in my sleep today.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
Not only do I remember it perfectly, I have a couple of other Marines for coworkers and we frequently do COD with umbrellas in the office hallway. You can imagine the looks.
I clearly imagine you sending the resident Snowflakes scurrying for their "safe spaces"!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
In August, it will be 30 years since I first stepped on the yellow footprints. I still remember all of the drill movements perfectly, but some of my general orders are a bit fuzzy.

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
It will be 35 for me this August.

I dont have a 20in AR to practice with, but I imagine the muscle memory is all there for most of it.

Who remembers the 12th general order?

Spoiler below

To walk my post from flank to flank, and take no shit from any rank.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am not a Marine. I just bought an M1a and I did all the drills when I got home. What impressed me was that I remembered them. My wife and daughter thought I was nuts. My neighbors were scared that something was going on.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post