SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What product shortages are we seeing already?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What product shortages are we seeing already? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I am NOT A “PREPPER” in any way shape or form. I don’t have 6 years of MRE’s etc. etc.

That said, and maybe his is the Boy Scout in me, I just don’t understand how anybody above the poverty line doesn’t have enough “supplies in general” to weather a 2-4 week period if not a bit longer. I have ALWAYS had bottled water, canned and or dried food, basic meds and I certainly have never lived “day to day” as far as toilet paper goes.

I’m not saying folks should have a bunker and years of provisions but a week to a month is EASY and it’s not out of the realm of possibility to get snowed in, have a bad storm, have a fuel shortage etc. etc. nothing apocalyptic just every day stuff.

Word. Describes how I feel to a T. I'm not stocking a doomsday bunker, but I don't understand why anyone doesn't have at least a few weeks of stuff on hand. I've always been that way. No need to live week-to-week or day-to-day on necessities. Not only is it good for emergencies, but it's also good for the routine "shit happens" situations, like when something last minute comes up and you're not able to go to the grocery store that weekend as planned.

It requires only minimal additional outlay and effort to have a few weeks of necessities on hand.

Start out by buying 4 boxes of Mac and Cheese when you'd normally buy 1. When you use 1 box, replace it the next time you go to the store, so you always have 3-4 boxes on hand.

Start out by buying 5 cans of tuna when you'd usually buy 2. When you use a can, replace it the next time you go to the grocery store, so you never have less than ~4 cans of tuna on hand.

Start out by buying 2 bags of dog food, and when the opened one starts getting low, buy another so you always have ~2 bags on hand.

Start out by buying 4 cases of bottled water when you'd normally buy 1. When the opened one starts getting low, buy another to replace it, so you never have less than ~4 cases on hand.

Start out by buying a mega-jumbo pack of toilet paper when you'd normally buy a 4 pack. Buy another pack when that one gets halfway depleted, so you always have 1-1.5 jumbo packs on hand.

Etc.

You're still buying the same stuff you always would, just starting out with a one-time larger amount than usual in order to get your stockpile rotation kicked off.

All that nonperishable extra stuff can be stuck in a closet, under the bed, in the attic, or whatever. So it's not like it's taking up precious free space.

Same concept can be applied to other areas. Fill a few gas cans with nonethanol gas. When you car's gas tank hits the halfway mark, fill it back up with the gas cans, and refill the gas cans. That way you never have less than half a tank in your car at any given time, and always have several more gallons of few-week-old nonethanol gas on hand too.

Start out by buying 2 cases of 9mm ammo when you'd normally buy 4 boxes. When the first case starts getting depleted, buy another, so you always have ~2 cases of ammo on hand.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
If anything, I hope this will help drive more people to have some sort of backup supply stock. Hard to imagine that a virus is what drives stockpiling in my area, instead of the looming threat of an earthquake or massive windstorm. At least it has helped break the msm programming against “prepping” somewhat.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Paper towels, we decided to hit Costmore last night, got two packs of TP, the Paper Towels were already gone, Gatoraide Zero is gone, still had plenty of water,

TP was limited to one mega pack per person,

Most everything else was still in good supply, wine, cigars, meats, cheese, veggies, frozen foods.

Stopped at Pooblix on the way home for grocery supplies for Thanksgiving, wife said Paper Towels were about gone and limited supply...

Other than that we're pretty good, FL hasn't started to panic yet....

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Lowes yesterday had all kinds of solvents but NOT denatured alcohol.
I’m on my way to Costco now.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To answer the original question ....nothing . Well ok , ammo obviously but everything else is ok for now . My son is a builder and he is having hell with a lot of building materials , roofing , doors , etc . Lead times are long .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I haven’t seen it mentioned yet, but disposable gloves are in short supply.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

Yes they are.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bicycles and bicycle parts/tires/tubes, etc. were unobtainable from local shops in April and May. There is a limited supply available now so I have stocked up on tires, tubes, patch kits for my three bikes.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

Yes they are.

My normal ones I buy for cooking, cleaning guns, or other activities I rather keep my hands clean from went from $12 in February last time I bought them to $26 for 100 gloves. A 100+% increase.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Redwing boots. I stopped by the local dealer today to get a pair like what I bought 2 years ago. One of the USA made models. The guy had very little inventory. He had no idea when the model I wanted would be available, but didn’t expect them before February.

Posts: 587 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
A 100+% increase.

The ones I like went from <$20/100 to $45+.

Fortunately, I was one of those “fools” we hear so much about here who “panic” bought 200 at the old price when they became available again at that price for a short time. I guess I should have restrained my impulses so that I could pay over two times as much when I ran out of my old stock—assuming they would be available at any price (as they weren't for months). Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Hookers and blow.

I'm 40 and still haven't found either.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
(FYI - Para has said to cool it with the tired "hookers and blow" joke.)

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
A 100+% increase.

The ones I like went from <$20/100 to $45+.

Fortunately, I was one of those “fools” we hear so much about here who “panic” bought 200 at the old price when they became available again at that price for a short time. I guess I should have restrained my impulses so that I could pay over two times as much when I ran out of my old stock—assuming they would be available at any price (as they weren't for months). Roll Eyes

That's pricey, consider trying these ones. I had two and bought two boxes in March. I use them mostly for cleaning guns and raw meat. I was down to one box, so I just bought three more. I don't use them for COVID-19 purposes, but I did buy some cheap gloves for that which I used for grocery shopping.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Man oh Man, these prices are crazy!

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Honest question here...why the reliance on bottled water? I rarely buy bottled water, usually only if people are coming over for a party or other gathering do I buy bottled water for my guests to drink.

I guess my question is, why do folks drink that much bottled water? Does your local water taste that bad? If so, have you considered a RO system? Can't you put your water into a Nalgene or Hydroflask and drink from that?

Is there going to be a water shortage I am not aware of?

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Honest question here...why the reliance on bottled water? I rarely buy bottled water, usually only if people are coming over for a party or other gathering do I buy bottled water for my guests to drink.

I guess my question is, why do folks drink that much bottled water? Does your local water taste that bad? If so, have you considered a RO system? Can't you put your water into a Nalgene or Hydroflask and drink from that?

Is there going to be a water shortage I am not aware of?

I can't speak for other places, but bottled water is the de facto earthquake prep for the uninformed. Everyone here has a case or two of bottled water in their pantry or garage "just in case." It's not nearly enough for a real emergency, and I try to point it out whenever the topic comes up, but most people are woefully underprepared in general.

Aside from that, I think most people around here keep some bottled water in the fridge for their guests. I almost always offer my guests a bottled water when they leave for the drive home, and always provide my vendors (cleaning lady, plumber, electrician, etc.) bottled water when they come through the door.

90% of the time, I have a reusable bottle with water from the RO system (or a Brita, before I had an RO system) with me when I leave the house. There are times, however, when I'm in a hurry to leave and the reusable bottle has not yet been washed to just grab a plastic bottle as I go.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I keep 4-6 cases of bottled water on hand at any given time.

It's something I drink fairly regularly, including keeping the fridge stocked with several for when I'm done working out or doing yard word, plus frequently grabbing a bottle from the open case in the garage before hitting the road.

In addition, there are natural disasters that can result in city water supply issues, like hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, etc. Even something like a water main break can cause short term problems.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I'm finishing my basement right now. It took 8 weeks to get my doors which are finally being installed today. Same 8 weeks lead for the shower guard. It's ridiculous the lead times for construction items.

Posts: 12466 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post