SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Power is out. May be a long while -- steps to take?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power is out. May be a long while -- steps to take? Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
Ice storm and trees down everywhere. I can't even get out of the neighborhood. Looks like the outside temp will remain right around freezing. I suppose I'm safe from pipes freezing, right? Debating running the gas logs. Not sure if that adds heat, or drags inside air out at a neg ratio.

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not enough info. Roughly where are you located? What is your furnace? Are your gas logs vented or chimneyed or are they ventless? What is your stove? Do you have a generator? If so, what size? All of these things, and others, affect what your options are. Don't open your fridge or freezer to minimize cold loss and food spoilage. We live out in the sticks and I bought a portable generator early on which runs our gas furnace and pumps our water. Electric heat can't be run by small generators. We finally put in a Generac stand by system because as the years passed wrestling the portable got to be less fun.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Can't help you with information, but Good Luck !!

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have city water, run the water at every faucet for a minute or two, every few hours.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I just put all the faucets at a decent trickle all the time.

Do the outside ones as well!

Keep the water flowing!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Always an interesting map, as long as you're in the blue zone!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Lost cable and internet last evening. Power went around 7:00 this morning. May be out the weekend.

Posts: 1634 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Open cabinet doors under sinks. Don't open the fridge more than you have to. If it is cold enough outside, use that for food if you have to. If frozen stuff melts, have a feast !

Another source of heat is an oven if gas. CO2 detectors are highly recommended.

Close off rooms you do not use and do not have plumbing.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Gas logs, i.e. a gas fireplace, will heat the room. If you have a standing pilot WH, you're fine forever. A trickle of the hottest water running through your sewer will keep a house above 40˚.

Pipes do not freeze very easily. It would have to be below 32˚ with wind blowing across the pipes, like in a basement with a broken window.

I've left my house for weeks at a time in the dead of winter. Got home once to 8˚ and windy and it was 45˚ inside.

What does freeze are water lines in an outside (uninsulated) wall. That is never done in new construction - installing water lines in an outside wall - but we still see it in older houses, where a "water closet" was installed.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:

Unfortunately, we are red. But the inside of the house is in the 40s, so I guess pipes freezing is not a concern. Running the gas logs now (vented up the chimney).

Was that you
or the dog?
posted Hide Post
I get the logs good and hot, shut them off then close the chimney off and let the heat radiate. Repeat as needed.

Posts: 1634 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTIN BLANKS:
Lost cable and internet last evening. Power went around 7:00 this morning. May be out the weekend.

It was kind of scary in the woods over here. Lot of transformers went last night. This is a legitimate disaster. All night long I was kept awake with truly frightening tree crashes all around our house. The sky was lit like the 4th of July with flashes and the “boo” report of transformers exploding. 35,000 without power in Butler County. They’re estimating Nov 18th at 10:00pm for us.

Was that you
or the dog?
posted Hide Post
Stood outside in the dark just listening to trees snapping in the woods. Big stuff. Unnerving. I knew the power loss was inevitable.

posted Hide Post
Run the water to a trickle. One year the frost level was nine feet deep and we had to run the water ALL winter. No sense taking a chance.

For those interested. This is the Mother of all ice storms: {Pics}

https://www.mtlblog.com/photog...-glad-we-survived-it

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Ice and outages here in VA too. Our power went out yesterday at 5pm and estimated it won’t be back up til 7:30-8:00 tonight.

Posts: 13744 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Time to break out the Generator and start surviving!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
RTG Parts
posted Hide Post
Won't help you this time but we invested in a backup generator for our house. Natural gas generator that can also run propane if needed. Natural gas is almost free here and we have several tanks of propane just in case.

It allows us to run the entire house as if we never lost power. When power goes out the generator automatically takes over. Lights go out for about 1-2 seconds during the transition. That's long enough to reset a couple clocks but other than that it is hassle free.

NRA LIFE MEMBER - NSSF MEMBER

www.RobertRTG.com for the best prices on HK, AK, MG42, Uzi parts and more.

Posts: 459 | Location: Sheridan, Wyoming | Registered: March 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I assume Butler County is in Ohio?

Do you have an inverter of any size? Depending on how new your fridge is an 800 watt may be big enough for you to run the unit for a bit every 3-4 hours. You could also wrap it and any freezers you have in blankets to help insulate them.

You could also run a small fan to push heat from the gas logs. If you have a full tank of gas you can idle a car for a long time. Not saying to idle it full time but an hour or 2 every few hours isn't going to hurt anything.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
You could also run a small fan to push heat from the gas logs.

Where do you buy a NG powered fan?

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
posted Hide Post
The hard part is sitting around waiting for nightfall and the arrival of looters.