SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sausage gravy question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sausage gravy question Login/Join 
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Sausage gravy is made with tomatoes, basil, olive oil, garlic, and som oregano. Purée tomatoes and minced tomatoes add some consistency.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have never used tomatoes but have added onions, peppers, and cilantro at times.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I hope I'm not banished for this recommendation, but the best sausage gravy came from Chrissy Teigen's cookbook Cravings. Its the best I've ever had.

Chrissy Teigen's SAUSAGE GRAVY
¾ pound pork breakfast sausage, casings removed, crumbled
4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter (see Note)
¼ cup all-purpose flour (see Note)
3 cups whole milk, plus more if necessary
1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 41,

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife drinks the Fairlife milk . Tastes exactly the same to me .

Posts: 4066 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
Sausage gravy is made with tomatoes, basil, olive oil, garlic, and som oregano. Purée tomatoes and minced tomatoes add some consistency.

Not down South . Never saw tomatoes or basil , etc.

Posts: 4066 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
You might try A2 milk and see if that works for you.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1907 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
My go-to milk is unsweetened half almond and half oat milk. Works fine in my sausage gravy.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:

This ain't Goodfellas. Smile

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have made sausage gravy with Italian sausage, and it was very good. I have not made Italian-style gravy using tomatoes, oregano, or any such stuff. Do you serve it on biscuits or biscotti? Maybe linguini or angel hair pasta? Campfire cowboy coffee or cappuccino?

I am always looking for new ideas. Help me out here, please.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
I have made sausage gravy with Italian sausage, and it was very good. I have not made Italian-style gravy using tomatoes, oregano, or any such stuff. Do you serve it on biscuits or biscotti? Maybe linguini or angel hair pasta? Campfire cowboy coffee or cappuccino?

I am always looking for new ideas. Help me out here, please.

Gravy has 2 meanings as I see it.
Gravy can equal pasta sauce or it can be just plain gravy that you'd out on mashed potatoes or biscuits.
Old school Italian restaurant near me calls their sauce "gravy" that they put on pasta so I can see putting tomatoes and spices in that. This isn't gravy that you'd put on biscuits.

https://saporitokitchen.com/old-school-italian-gravy/

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/pFoUmXnkKw8

Here's what I made.
I used Grands biscuits and didn't do from scratch. Heresy to some but they're excellent and easy.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:

Gravy has 2 meanings as I see it.
Gravy can equal pasta sauce or it can be just plain gravy that you'd out on mashed potatoes or biscuits.
Old school Italian restaurant near me calls their sauce "gravy" that they put on pasta so I can see putting tomatoes and spices in that. This isn't gravy that you'd put on biscuits.

https://saporitokitchen.com/old-school-italian-gravy/

My first wife was Italian and her parents called their pasta sauce gravy also.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used Pioneer Pepper or Sausage gravy mix packet and you really don't need to add any milk,just water. It has a really good taste for a gravy mix and I use it all of the time on many things,especially good on meatloaf and Southern fried steak,although I haven't had the steak in a long time.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
https://youtu.be/pFoUmXnkKw8

Here's what I made.
I used Grands biscuits and didn't do from scratch. Heresy to some but they're excellent and easy.

That was a fun YouTube video....thanks for posting !

Posts: 935 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post