SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sausage gravy question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sausage gravy question Login/Join 
posted
I made sausage gravy this morning for the first time and it turned out great. Biscuits were store bought but they were excellent also.
I haven't had sausage gravy in a long time, I'm talking 10+ years, because I'm lactose intolerant. That being said, I used milk this morning and I'm now paying the price for it. Why did I use milk when I know what will happen? I never claimed I was right in the head ever.
So here's my question. Can any liquid be used for a substitute for milk? Chicken stock? I would imagine almond milk would not work or taste like shit?

Was it worth it? Yes. Kinda. Maybe.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I use evaporated milk but I don’t know if that helps your problem or not. I think any liquid would work but using a chicken broth like you suggest I think you would wind up with sausage soup instead of gravy.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8537 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Lactaid milk?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23308 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The obvious next choice for me would be lactose free milk.

Posts: 1969 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Look for Fairlife, Horizon, or Dairy Pure milk.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Have you tried Lactaid milk?

I have not.
I could try next time I suppose and see what the difference is in taste.
This sucks because it was delicious but it's tearing me up.
What's leftover is going to my brother who has offered to finish it up.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Google told me this:

Pork Sausage Gravy
Rating: 4.06 stars

Hearty pork sausage and gravy to pour over homemade biscuits or toast. Water may be substituted for the milk.

https://www.allrecipes.com/rec.../pork-sausage-gravy/

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have issues with milk, and I tried Cream of Mushroom soup, and like it. I know I will answer for it when I stand before St. Peter but it's easy and tastes good. I soak the pan in 1/4 inch of water to get all the drippings and little pieces, save up 3-4 breakfasts worth of drippings until I have 1/2 to 2/3 of a can, and mix. Biscuits and gravy, gravy on omelets, breakfast burritos, even gravy on beans or taters at dinner.

Posts: 593 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If you use broth it will be a brown gravy. I'd try lactose free milk.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Use Fairlife milk. I've made sausage gravy with it many times. It tastes great too. I started buying it because I like the taste. I didn't realize it was lactose free until my wife told me. She's lactose intolerant. I am not.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
Use Fairlife milk. I've made sausage gravy with it many times. It tastes great too. I started buying it because I like the taste. I didn't realize it was lactose free until my wife told me. She's lactose intolerant. I am not.

Thank you, I'll try it next time I make it.

posted Hide Post
I have used water and flour to make sausage gravy. About a pint of water in a jar with 4-5 heaping tablespoons of all purpose flour, shake to mix thoroughly, then stir into the pan drippings and sausage. Bring to a boil while stirring, then lower heat to a slow bubbling, allow to simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Make sure your gravy is thoroughly cooked. Raw flour will keep you hopping for hours, just like milk to a lactose intolerant will do.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I hope I'm not banished for this recommendation, but the best sausage gravy came from Chrissy Teigen's cookbook Cravings. Its the best I've ever had.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Have you tried the "lactose free" milk products?

They contain lactase enzyme, that breakdown the lactose.

If you can handle sour cream, it works great and I use that rather the milk in all types of cooling.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43916 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I hope I'm not banished for this recommendation, but the best sausage gravy came from Chrissy Teigen's cookbook Cravings. Its the best I've ever had.

Hahahaha, all good. If it works and you enjoyed it, no harm no foul.
I used The Hillbilly Kitchen recipe off of YouTube. That woman can cook and she uses cast iron mainly which is what I used this morning.
Good thing is my brother came over a bit ago and took the gravy home with him. Temptation is now gone and I probably would have tortured myself again tomorrow morning. It was good.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
What about just taking lactaid?

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
What about just taking lactaid?

One or two pills keeps me alive even after a Mexican blowout and not on the floor of the bathroom wishing for a quick death.

I also haven’t noticed a difference in taste between regular milk and lactose free milk. However, soy milk and almond milk taste a little funky.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I use almond mike on cereal, to make cream of wheat.
Only time regular milk is used is to soak salmon.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
The obvious next choice for me would be lactose free milk.

Yup, there are even Organic 'Lactose Free' Milk products, including Half & Half, 2% Milk, and Whole Milk (4% Roll Eyes OMG, the horror!), etc.

My wife is Lactose Intolerant and we buy Organic Valley brand products, which are USDA Organic (non-GMO) certified, and available at our local grocery store. She buys these products by the quart and I'll use them in my coffee if I happen to run out of regular Whole Milk. I find no discernible difference in taste.

You really don't need to suffer... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8941 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^ In addition to lactose free milk, I also buy the Lactaid brand cottage cheese. Good stuff!!!

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post