SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jimmy Dean sausage patties are sticky in my iron frying pan
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jimmy Dean sausage patties are sticky in my iron frying pan Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I usually buy Johnsonville sausage patties, but recently bought a box of eight Jimmy Dean pork sausage patties to try. I like the flavor of the Jimmy Dean better.

But they left a mess in my iron frying pan. The patties came out of the pan easily enough, but left a gummy residue. I spent a lot of time and effort getting my pan looking good again. That’s despite the fact that my cooking technique was the same as I use for the Johnsonville. A little below medium heat, cook for 8 minutes, flip every 2 minutes. A little Pam in the pan before I put the patties in.

I looked on the web and found this 6 minute video:

https://youtu.be/sDZasD-j0qU

It’s mediocre, but slide it up to the 2 minute point. The guy says that Jimmy Dean sticks to his pan, but Johnsonville doesn’t. Similar to my experience.

The Jimmy Dean sausage patties have great flavor, but I can’t abide the gummy residue.

Have any of you seen that problem with Jimmy Dean sausage patties? Or found a way to prevent the gummy residue?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I kindof blame the PAM. I just use a little oil or bacon grease now - they have spray oils. The PAM has something in it besides oil that seems to leave a residue.

Of course it may not be the problem since you said you use the PAM with the other sausage...

I don't know. We have a local brand here that I use, so I've never tried Jimmy Dean.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I've had that happen on my griddle with some sausages. I think it might be the sugars and syrups some use for flavoring. I heat the griddle to medium high after I'm done cooking and squirt with water to steam off the residue and scrape it up and it comes up pretty easily.

Aldi's sausage patties have quite good flavor and I don't have that gummy residue so I have switched to them awhile back. Plus they are larger in size.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8529 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I think it might be the sugars and syrups some use for flavoring.
^^^^^^ This, IMO.

Check the ingredients on the package and look for sugars.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's the caramelized sugars. You can avoid it by either making your own with less/no sugars or cooking on a much lower heat. I usually make my own, but when I do have some JD I just put it on low and let it be.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Like others have said, I think you’re cooking too hot and/or the additives in the sausage are caramelizing.

Try Low and slow.

Also, throw away the the Pam and use a good high heat oil like Avocado oil.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, Sugars. Look at your grill grates after you grill bbq chicken. It's like concrete.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Ran across that myself with Jimmy Dean, now use Tennessee Pride sausage in the bulk tube, for patties we Goolsby's Country Sausage at Costco frozen, never a problem with sticking.

Posts: 23415 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I think it might be the sugars and syrups some use for flavoring.
^^^^^^ This, IMO.

Check the ingredients on the package and look for sugars.

Jimmy Dean lists sugar, while Johnsonville lists corn syrup. Corn syrup is straight glucose while sugar is sucrose. Each molecule of sucrose is one molecule of fructose chemically bonded with one molecule of glucose. My guess is sugar creates different polymers when heated than corn syrup. My guess for the solution is to cook the Jimmy Dean sausage at a lower heat.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Have you tried cooking them on the Breville Smart Grill?

I frequently cook an entire breakfast on the Smart Grill. Eggs, bacon, sausage, toasted English Muffin, Hash browns, they get nicely browned and nothing really sticks, and cleanup is a breeze on one single flat plate on the Smart Grill.

I use butter for the eggs and toasted foods.

At least, I think I remember you having a Smart Grill.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer Owens to Jimmy Dean for just that reason. Jimmy Dean is so sugary that, not only does it stick, it scorches or burns really easily too.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Have you tried cooking them on the Breville Smart Grill?

I frequently cook an entire breakfast on the Smart Grill. Eggs, bacon, sausage, toasted English Muffin, Hash browns, they get nicely browned and nothing really sticks, and cleanup is a breeze on one single flat plate on the Smart Grill.

I use butter for the eggs and toasted foods.

At least, I think I remember you having a Smart Grill.

I do have a Smart Grill, but I’m cooking nothing but a few sausage patties. If I cook them in my iron pan clean-up (with Johnsonville) is simply wiping my small pan with a couple of paper towels.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I guess I’ll go with the lower heat suggestions. Jimmy Dean sausages are “Fully cooked”, so no worry about trichinosis. But I do like to get the patties browned-up – doubt that will happen at lower heat.

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
I had bacon sticking recently. Perhaps this explains it? The bacon is smoked. Got to check for sugars?

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I'll add my experience to the bacon sidebar. Smithfield sticks like crazy, while most other brands either stick just a little or not at all. Thin/Thick-sliced doesn't seem to make a difference, but you do get less stickage at lower temperatures. It also seems unrelated to the amount of fat rendered out, although the stickyness is reduced as the cooking proceeds. I keep a metal spatula handy for that all-important first turn, aft that, the tongs are good enough.

Posts: 6466 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I think they are making breakfast sausage much leaner these days and the fat content has been cut which means it could stick more. Also if there are sugars or syrups in it, that will cause sticking too.

Posts: 33788 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Thanks guys. I guess I’ll go with the lower heat suggestions. Jimmy Dean sausages are “Fully cooked”, so no worry about trichinosis. But I do like to get the patties browned-up – doubt that will happen at lower heat.
Cook on low until desired "doneness" and then crank the heat for a nice sear?? Dunno...just spiff-balling.

As for the bacon sidebar, cook bacon in the oven and then pour off grease into iron skillet for cooking eggs or whatever else. Or save it for later.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with HRK about those ones at Costco. They are the best sausage patties I've had and they do not stick. The instructions say to put in a cold pan then turn on heat to medium. Cook 4 minutes, flip and cook 4 minutes. They come out perfect.

Posts: 239 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They're not sticking, they're melting into the metal. Behold the power of sausage!

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Precooked? No wonder they’re sticking, not enough fat. Heck, how do you make the gravy?

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post