SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Heart scan for calcium deposits in arteries?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heart scan for calcium deposits in arteries? Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Why not just get it done? Lots and lots of errors, both false positives and false negatives, which leads to unnecessary anxiety and unnecessary testing.

Let me tell you about my wife's experience with this test and the way it played out. It's been about 10 years, so I may be off on a few details, but it doesn't really change the overall story.

She went to one of the local Women's Heart Health seminars where they watched some lectures, did bloodwork and got a calcium scan for a few hundred dollars. She was about 40 at the time and without symptoms. This was done at the cardiac care center at the local hospital.

1. Scan was negative for calcium- Great

2. About a week later, she got a call from her doctor saying that the radiologist that read the scan (a few days after the seminar) agreed that the arteries were fine, BUT noticed something abnormal on one lung. Well, can't just let that go.

3. CT scan of the lung in question- inconclusive. Can't leave it at that and risk malpractice

4. Contrast CT of lung which identified a benign vascular malformation. No need to do anything with that, BUT....

5. This CT was high enough to reveal a couple of small nodules on her thyroid. Need an ultrasound to check those out.

6. Ultrasound showed them to be quite small, 4mm so just watch for now with annual ultrasounds. "Just for peace of mind".

7. Not much change until about the 4th year at which point one of the nodules hit the magic 5mm threshold for biopsy.

6. Ultrasound guided needle biopsy inconclusive, on one of the two

7. Back a few weeks later for another one- This one showed some abnormal cells. Can't have that. Better have half your thyroid removed. You know. "Just for peace of mind"

8. Thyroid surgery and subsequent pathology found a 4mm nodule (smaller than ultrasound indicated) with some neoplastic cells. So, technically she did have a tiny spot of thyroid cancer, but it is unlikely it would have EVER caused her a problem.

Bottom line: 5-6 years of annual testing, hospitalization and surgery, about $15,000 in out of pocket expenses, plus what ever insurance paid and now a lifetime of thyroid hormone replacement.

For what? "Just for peace of mind"

Yeah, this is not unusual. I had a yearly physical a couple decades back and there was a trace of blood in my urine. My MD at that time recommended test after test including 24 hour urine test, CT Scan, and cystoscopy . Then they wanted me to get a PET scan and I finally said fuck it. I started making a conscious effort to drinking more water. A year later there was no blood in the urine and not since. Maybe they should have recommended that to me first? For whatever reason my current MD does not even do urine tests any more as part of a yearly physical, just blood tests.

On the other hand in 2013 I was feeling really bad with abdominal pain, bloating, not wanting to eat, high fatigue, and losing weight because of not eating much. I go to my primary MD and he finds nothing obvious to him and recommends I go to my GI MD. I go to him and by that time I am feeling really really bad and had lost 20 LBs. I tell him about my pain, bloating, and that I can fucking see my small intestines periodically pushing up against the skin of my abdomen and my wife had seen the same like fingers pushing from the inside. The GI MD thinks it is nothing serious, probably gas Eek and gives me some sample probiotics. Roll Eyes I beg him to let me get a CT Scan right away and he finally agrees but it will cost more to get a stat. I say fine and 2 weeks later I get the CT Scan on a Saturday morning at 8:00 and my phone rings at 10:30 with his partner calling me saying I have a blocked small intestine and I need to get into the hospital ASAP. A few days later they remove 18 inches of my small intestine during a 2 week hospital stay. Needless to say the probiotics were worthless LOL.

Posts: 9753 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Great video f2.

It kind of drives home the point that I was trying to make (not very effectively after a few whiskeys).

We do well in treating CAD, but why not focus more on the prevention of it, and early detection of it, to begin with. We do mammograms and colonoscopies like they are going out style these days, but why? Well, to catch things early when they can be treated.

Why not do the same with cardiac CTs?

Posts: 20132 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
sjtill, I am curious if you are familiar with FFRct, marketed by HeartFlow.

I’m familiar with fractional flow reserve as used in conventional coronary angiography to determine severity of stenosis. Looks like this applies that function to images from a coronary CT angiogram (not the same as calcium score CT), to make it more accurate. Potentially useful, but not as screening test as high dose of radiation involved.

By the way: the reason for doing screening tests is to find disease that needs to be treated to prevent a worse outcome than would occur if you wait for symptoms.
The minority of people have disease such as left main coronary disease that will benefit from “revascularization”, that is improving flow through the arteries by surgery or stenting.
A lot of the intervention (stenting) done in the past on asymptomatic patients has now been shown not to prolong life.
That’s been a really hard thing for cardiologists and surgeons to accept, because we thought it was “obvious” that opening up those arteries would decrease the risk of death, compared with medical treatment (aspiring, statins, ACE inhibitors, BP control).

Here’s the relevant recommendations from UpToDate on this issue:

quote:
SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS

●We recommend coronary artery revascularization for two groups of patients with stable angina (Grade 1A) (see 'Improvement in survival' above):
•Patients in whom maximal medical therapy has not satisfactorily improved anginal symptoms or who are intolerant of medical therapy. (See 'Relief of angina' above.)
•Patients with high-risk criteria and selected patients with intermediate-risk criteria on noninvasive testing, regardless of anginal severity. (See 'Improvement in survival' above and 'Severity of coronary artery disease' above.)
●For patients with stable angina that is not significantly interfering with the quality of life, and for whom revascularization is not indicated to prolong life, we suggest initial medical therapy rather than immediate revascularization (Grade 2B). In such patients, patient preference may be important. (See 'Patient preference' above and 'Indications for PCI' above.)
Similarly, after a period of medical therapy, percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) may be a reasonable option for patients who prefer to avoid the possibility of urgent revascularization.
●Coronary artery bypass graft surgery is preferred to PCI for many patients in whom a survival benefit from revascularization has been demonstrated, such as those with left main coronary artery disease. (See 'CABG versus PCI' above.)

As a result of these recent studies, there is a turn toward bypass surgery in diabetics and patients with left main disease, rather than the less-invasive stenting.

Yes, the technology is changing, but we need a solid base of scientific evidence, and new technology must be rigorously shown to be superior to the old in improving survival or reducing symptoms before it should be adopted.

Heartflow is marketing this as a replacement to diagnostic angiography. It will be interesting to see if they get traction via CMS and/or private insurance. I have been in medical imaging and cardiac imaging, including cath, for 20 years. I have seen several of these novel approaches marketed as replacements for invasive procedures.....not many have panned out.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have seen several of these novel approaches marketed as replacements for invasive procedures.....not many have panned out.

There's a huge amount of money to be made doing cardiac procedures--for many if not most hospitals the cath lab and cardiac surgery are cash cows.

There has been enormous technical progress, but more new technologies have been left behind than have made the grade.

Posts: 18096 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Let me suggest you choose your new cardiologist with care. This will be a doctor you will probably see at least once a year for the rest of your life. A good one will keep you heart healthy. I went through a couple before I found one that seems to truly care about my health and I can relate to. I can actually call the office and talk either to her (Dr) or the support RN. I've got to drive about an hour to get to her office (University Texas SW) but it's well worth it to me.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
I believe that a TEE, Trans Esophageal Echocardiogram, will reveal any significant calcium/plaque buildup in the heart; especially on the valves.
Cardiologists, please correct me if erroneous.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I have seen several of these novel approaches marketed as replacements for invasive procedures.....not many have panned out.

There's a huge amount of money to be made doing cardiac procedures--for many if not most hospitals the cath lab and cardiac surgery are cash cows.

There has been enormous technical progress, but more new technologies have been left behind than have made the grade.

A high percentage of diagnostic caths result in no intervention. I see HeartFlow targeting private payers and CMS just for this reason, to replace these diagnostic caths with the lower cost CT and FFRct analysis. If they can successfully position this test between the MUGA or stress echo and a cath as a secondary screen they stand to make a lot of money while the hospitals and cardiologist stand to lose a lot from lost procedure volume. Should be interesting to see it play out over the next year or two.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted April 10, 2019 02:56 PM Hide Post
quote:
quote:

A high percentage of diagnostic caths result in no intervention. I see HeartFlow targeting private payers and CMS just for this reason, to replace these diagnostic caths with the lower cost CT and FFRct analysis. If they can successfully position this test between the MUGA or stress echo and a cath as a secondary screen they stand to make a lot of money while the hospitals and cardiologist stand to lose a lot from lost procedure volume. Should be interesting to see it play out over the next year or two.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is one reason that I despise the business of health care. I know it is here to stay. Somehow it should be different than figuring out how to maximize profit and corner the market.

Posts: 17284 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
posted April 10, 2019 02:56 PM Hide Post
quote:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is one reason that I despise the business of health care. I know it is here to stay. Somehow it should be different than figuring out how to maximize profit and corner the market.

Its a conundrum, profit motive (Capitalism), drives innovation by some and motivates others to protect the status quo. The rub comes when a new technology stands to eliminate a huge profit center for the providers. As a patient I would much rather have a 5 minute CT scan than be sedated and have a wire run from my crotch to my heart, be injected with contrast and radiated to boot. My insurance company would love to save thousands too.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Its a conundrum, profit motive (Capitalism), drives innovation by some and motivates others to protect the status quo. The rub comes when a new technology stands to eliminate a huge profit center for the providers. As a patient I would much rather have a 5 minute CT scan than be sedated and have a wire run from my crotch to my heart, be injected with contrast and radiated to boot. My insurance company would love to save thousands too.

I don't think there are many cardiologists advocating angiograms for asymptomatic patients. I do agree with you in general, though. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that colonoscopies are the "gold standard" for colon cancer detection because they haul in the real gold for clinics.

Posts: 8965 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

I don't think there are many cardiologists advocating angiograms for asymptomatic patients. I do agree with you in general, though. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that colonoscopies are the "gold standard" for colon cancer detection because they haul in the real gold for clinics.

I agree but they are referring a lot of symptomatic patients that don't need an intervention following the diagnostic cath. That's the sweet spot for FFRct, eliminating these diagnostic caths. It would be a boon for payers and patients but a financial hit for providers.

Colonoscopy is a great example, I almost cited it earlier. CT virtual colonoscopy was going to cut colonoscopies in half 10 years ago. Providers argued that they are likely to take samples for pathology in enough cases that it was better to just scope patients and save the radiation. Providers won and virtual colonoscopy was a financial flop.

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
f2. Really enjoyed the movie. Great timing too. I go in to see my cardiologist next week. Thx.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10912 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe that a TEE, Trans Esophageal Echocardiogram, will reveal any significant calcium/plaque buildup in the heart; especially on the valves.
Cardiologists, please correct me if erroneous.

A regular trans thoracic echocardiogram shows calcified valves very well; a TEE is NEVER a screening test.
It does not show plaque in coronary arteries.

As far as choosing a cardiologist is concerned, I would definitely want one who is both extremely qualified, well trained, AND treats me like a human being. Now that I'm a patient, I treasure that in my urological oncologist.

Posts: 18096 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Joseph R Kraft quotes:

"Experimentation showed that chronic exposure to high concentrations of insulin resulted in the development of lipid-filled lesions similar to those of early atherosclerosis. Thus, insulin has the ability to promote changes in the artery, which in the long term, may progress to atherosclerosis” (The relationship of abnormal circulating insulin levels to atherosclerosis." 1977. Atherosclerosis 27:1-13.)

"Those with cardiovascular disease not identified with diabetes are simply undiagnosed. Dr. Stout in 1977 identified the origin of the pathology of type 2 diabetes as vascular (arterial), directly related to hyperinsulinemia and not to hypergly-cemia."

Posts: 3531 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm getting an ultrasound scan of my heart this Friday (ordered by my cardiologist). I had one about a year ago and he wants another one.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
TTE in adults is also of limited use for the structures at the back of the heart, such as the left atrial appendage. Transesophageal echocardiography may be more accurate than TTE because it excludes the variables previously mentioned and allows closer visualization of common sites for vegetations and other abnormalities. Transesophageal Echocardiography also affords better visualization of prosthetic heart valves and clots within the four chambers of the heart. This type of Echocardiogram may be a better option for patients with thick chests, abnormal chest walls, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and the obese.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Colonoscopy is a great example, I almost cited it earlier. CT virtual colonoscopy was going to cut colonoscopies in half 10 years ago. Providers argued that they are likely to take samples for pathology in enough cases that it was better to just scope patients and save the radiation. Providers won and virtual colonoscopy was a financial flop.

It will be interesting to see how Cologuard fares against the colonoscopy industry. While the notion that polyps can be removed sounds good, the research shows that only 6% of polyps EVER turn into cancer. About half of all patients are found to have polyps, 6% of which MIGHT cause a problem in the future. Bottom line: 97% of colonoscopies don't actually do anything to decrease disease. With numbers like that, non-invasive screening tools seem more appropriate.

Posts: 8965 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Floss, who knew Wink

Posts: 3531 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post