SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A little telescope help and understanding
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little telescope help and understanding Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Are these any good or are they overkill for me?

Celestron NexStar 90SLT Computerize Telescope

Skyview Pro 150mm Maksutov Cassegrain Telescope with tripod stand.

Meade ETX D=90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope with SAKR TR-2L TRIPOD

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.telescopesplus.com...4-telescope-glossary

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bendable,
That's a great sight , thanks!

Any guidance on these?

Are these any good or are they overkill for me?

Celestron NexStar 90SLT Computerize Telescope

Skyview Pro 150mm Maksutov Cassegrain Telescope with tripod stand.

Meade ETX D=90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope with SAKR TR-2L TRIPOD

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I will have to echo from experience and preference, an 8” mirror is the best starting point. I’ve tried some of the smaller Maksutov and Schmidt Cassegrain telescopes and the 5” or 6” isn’t bad if you want to see Jupiter, Mars, and Saturn moons and rings but they are a little dim and hard to focus. I prefer the SCT Schmidt Cassegrain Telescopes in 8” or higher. Sometimes you can find better deals on larger mirror Dobsonian Telescopes. Don’t even think about 90mm and 120mm Cassegrain scopes. Waste of money.

Posts: 6014 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Refractor = a big lens at the front little lens in the back. Takes a lot of lens to get good magnification.

Newtonian Reflector = a rear parabolic mirror up to another deflector mirror to an eyepiece up at the front. The larger the mirror, the longer the telescope and the more difficult it is to get to the eyepiece. Some need a ladder to use.

Cassegrain Reflector = Large parabolic mirror in the back with a hole in the center for an eyepiece with a glass cover with a small mirror up front to deflect to the rear eyepiece. More complicated, but you get a MUCH larger focal distance telescope at 1/3 the length.
You can use a nice comfy chair to use these.

I've had telescopes for over 40 years. From Newtonians to the Cassegrains I have now.

I started out with a 3" reflector and within a VERY few hours it was frustrating. I consider my Celestron 8 that I have owned for 30 years the minimum I would even consider now, with our Meade 12 being extremely capable.

NONE of my telescopes are atuomatics, but they do have 24hour drives. I've done this so long, I can just point it to the general spot I want it and the object will be in the objective.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mars_Attacks,

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Reflector vs refractor?

what's the difference and is one better than the other?

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
https://www.mrstarguy.com/Sear...vmc95l&Submit=Search

any good?

It's 4" at the aperture.

I started with a 4. You want at a minimum 6" reflector Cassegrain.

Don't even consider a refractor. The good ones are like hookers, the better ones are extremely expensive.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Post up pictures when your scope arrives!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Post up pictures when your scope arrives!

Will do!
Thank you Marzy for all your email help guidance and direction!

posted Hide Post
https://www.pbs.org/show/star-gazers/

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Jupiter, Mars and Saturn are about to hit the horizon. Jupiter is already there.

It'll be months before they are back. Late Spring at the earliest and that'll be around midnight.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, my wife and I were out running errands and were in JAX, an outdoor gear, farm and ranch store. We saw a couple of astronomy telescopes on display. We have been talking about a telescope for years and just haven’t taken the step to buy one. As is so often true in the Forum, there’s good information in this thread, and I have followed links posted to learn more. Here are a couple questions that may help in our decision.

I am undecided about a computerized scope. The Celestron we were at least interested in was part of their NexStar series with computer tracking. Seems like a cool thing to have. I don’t know shit about telescopes or astronomy, but given my career, have lived in many dark sky parts of the country. I’ve always had an interest, and know my way around the night sky fairly well. Do I need or want a computer tracking device?

What to spend. Highly subjective. I believe someone said, “Spend $500-$600 minimum to get something you’ll really enjoy,” or words to that effect. My mother always said I had a “champagne appetite on a beer budget.” Undeniably true, or to quote Oscar Wilde, “I’m a man of simple taste. I’m always satisfied with the best.” I usually spend more than I can reasonably afford. Still, I don’t want to buy a scope and almost immediately be thinking…this isn’t good enough.

Should I break the piggy bank and spend $1600 on NexStar 8SE, or will I be happy with something half that price?

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Yesterday, my wife and I were out running errands and were in JAX, an outdoor gear, farm and ranch store. We saw a couple of astronomy telescopes on display. We have been talking about a telescope for years and just haven’t taken the step to buy one. As is so often true in the Forum, there’s good information in this thread, and I have followed links posted to learn more. Here are a couple questions that may help in our decision.

I am undecided about a computerized scope. The Celestron we were at least interested in was part of their NexStar series with computer tracking. Seems like a cool thing to have. I don’t know shit about telescopes or astronomy, but given my career, have lived in many dark sky parts of the country. I’ve always had an interest, and know my way around the night sky fairly well. Do I need or want a computer tracking device?

What to spend. Highly subjective. I believe someone said, “Spend $500-$600 minimum to get something you’ll really enjoy,” or words to that effect. My mother always said I had a “champagne appetite on a beer budget.” Undeniably true, or to quote Oscar Wilde, “I’m a man of simple taste. I’m always satisfied with the best.” I usually spend more than I can reasonably afford. Still, I don’t want to buy a scope and almost immediately be thinking…this isn’t good enough.

Should I break the piggy bank and spend $1600 on NexStar 8SE, or will I be happy with something half that price?

Yes; no.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by becereuss:
Yes; no.

“No,” don’t spend $1,600, or “no,” I won’t be happy with something half the price?

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Years ago I went w/ a 10" Dobsonian (no computer) and put all the money at that time into aperture. I learned to "star hop" and use charts to find my way.
For the real faint fuzzies, a computerized system would have helped but then I might have had to gone for a smaller scope.

Then my work closed it's doors, housing developement moved in over 2 decades, and now I need to travel to get good skies.

While I wish I could have gone for (or built) a 20" computerized Dob, it would now be in storage most always anyway.

I would go for it if circumstances of using it and liking the hobby allow.

Edit:
quote:
quote:
Yes; no.

“No,” don’t spend $1,600, or “no,” I won’t be happy with something half the price?

I think he's saying Yes for the first part and NO for the last part.

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Yes; no.

Yes-break the piggy bank.

No, you won’t be happy with something 1/2 the price.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Years ago I went w/ a 10" Dobsonian (no computer) and put all the money at that time into aperture. I learned to "star hop" and use charts to find my way.
For the real faint fuzzies, a computerized system would have helped but then I might have had to gone for a smaller scope.

Then my work closed it's doors, housing developement moved in over 2 decades, and now I need to travel to get good skies.

While I wish I could have gone for (or built) a 20" computerized Dob, it would now be in storage most always anyway.

I would go for it if circumstances of using it and liking the hobby allow.

Edit:
quote:
quote:
Yes; no.

I think he's saying Yes for the first part and NO for the last part.

I’m still uncertain.

The first part asked if I should buy a scope with a computer tracking feature. I understand that becereuss thought, “yes,” I should.

It’s clear to me now that in a real sense, the second part is two questions:
“Should I break the piggy bank and spend $1600 on NexStar 8SE?”
or, “will I be happy with something half that price?

$800 is no small amount of money to spend on a telescope, but I understand that the “familiar orange tube of the Celestion 8SE,” will likely be well represented should we attend a star gazing event.

posted Hide Post
Boats, quilting and telescopes all month pits.

In for $ $ $.

posted Hide Post
Take a class before you spend the dough.

There are clubs and forums.