SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater Advice Requested
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater Advice Requested Login/Join 
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted
Looking for advice on brand of hybrid water heater.
We're doing a bit of renovating. Part of the permitting approval included a requirement to install a high efficiency water heater. Minimum Tier 1 Pacific NW.
We are electric only out here, no gas. So I think electric on demand is out of the question.

This is what I'm looking at:

• Bradford White Aerotherm Series 10 years warranty Plumbing supply house $1,050
  • Rheem Permformance Platinum or ProTerra 10 year warranty Home Depot $700
  • A.O. Smith Signature Premier 10 year warranty Lowes $700

Is there someone else I should consider via a plumbing supply house?

Any advice or consideration would be appreciated. Smile
  •  
    Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    No LP options for the area?

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I've had the AO smith for about 3 years now (50 gallon) and have been extremely happy with it. Can change the temperature or modes at the press of a button.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Spinnin' Chain
    Picture of Expat
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Excam_Man:
    No LP options for the area?

Yes there are LP options and ideally we'd have preferred to get to that along with range, gen set, and water heater. But somewhere along the way I talked myself out of it. And to boot a propane heater would have qualified for Tier 1. Now I'm wondering if I still have time. One of the things that put me off was finding a tank to own so I could buy on spot.

In a bit of a time crunch now.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Spinnin' Chain
    Picture of Expat
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmy123x:
    I've had the AO smith for about 3 years now (50 gallon) and have been extremely happy with it. Can change the temperature or modes at the press of a button.

I'm liking the option of adaptability of them all. I'm leaning to the Bradford for contractor grade, just don't know if it's worth the extra $350.

posted Hide Post
    Bradford White is the leader in quality.

I'd be looking into LP pronto.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Expat:
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I'm liking the option of adaptability of them all. I'm leaning to the Bradford for contractor grade, just don't know if it's worth the extra $350.

I think AO smith rates right up there with BW. Perhaps a very very close 2nd. I keep mine at 120F, but bump it up to 150F right before a hurricane or TS is coming so if I lose electricity I'll have hot water for an extra day or two. I keep mine in Eco mode and haven't noticed any downside to it. Propane would probably be the way to go if you can switch it around.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post